• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Does anyone local have any low capacity magazines I could borrow/buy?

Im going up to NJ to visit in-laws and want to do some shooting but they ban possession of all >15rd mags. Which is all I have for both my pistol and AR.

So what I need is:

P226 mags 15 or less
    AR15 mags 15 or less.

Anyone?

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Be careful bringing the AR into NJ unless its NJ legal. That means no flash hider, pinned and welded muzzle brake or thread cover instead, no bayo lug, and no adjustable stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is really a question I'd ask on njgunforums. They have recently had some laws pass and not pass, so I'd expect residents to be more up to speed.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I am an NJ resident. Luckily only two bad bills were passed and they werent awful. One is about the terror watch list and another about NICS and mental health records.
    Three good threads about if a rifle, shotgun, or pistol are legal in NJ. A Colt Ar-15 is illegal but any other is legal. An AK is legal as long as it doesnt say AK on it anywhere. An AR pistol is basically illegal because of the weight, it has to be under 50oz.
    http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/
    http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/28327-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-shotgun-legal-in-nj/
    http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/28438-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-handgun-legal-in-nj/
    Edit: Also about hollowpoints, they must be transported as if they are a pistol.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    From what I understand you can not even possess a firearm in NJ unless you have a FOID card.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Semi-correct. If you are an NJ resident and dont have the FID you cant buy any firearm in NJ not even an antique. However you can buy an antique out of state and if you are moving to NJ you can bring whatever you have as long as its NJ legal. However, if you dont have the FID every firearm must be transported as if it is a pistol and you cant buy handgun ammo. We also need to apply for a permit to purchase a pistol and can only buy one every 30 days.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Semi-correct. If you are an NJ resident and dont have the FID you cant buy any firearm in NJ not even an antique. However you can buy an antique out of state and if you are moving to NJ you can bring whatever you have as long as its NJ legal. However, if you dont have the FID every firearm must be transported as if it is a pistol and you cant buy handgun ammo. We also need to apply for a permit to purchase a pistol and can only buy one every 30 days.

Dan, what about my situation where I am just visiting? Do I need to do anything special other than carry it unloaded?

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    You must treat any firearm as if it were a handgun. That means to and from a range, shop, you cant stop to eat, but you can use the bathroom. I am not sure if going to your in-laws place is an approved location.
    This I copied from the state police website
    "All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom