• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    WTF is wrong with Montgomery County? 2010 a tree fell in front of my house during one of our yearly one in a hundred storms. I can't cut it down, its MoCo's tree. Days later, county crews finally get around to removing the tree but leaving the stump.

MoCo told me they will send a stump removal crew later (we are on waiting list). We're now on a 2-3 year waiting list for stump removal and tree. I call again and find out MoCo's Stump Removal crews budget is frozen by the county council. So no removal. BUT....I can now remove it myself and county doesn't have to reimburse me.

I was told a few years back that I couldn't even remove the stump...I guess with the freeze, I can now move it. Then I'm supposed to call them back and they'll "expedite" my new county tree. WTF? I pay one of the highest tax rates in the country in MoCo and I can't even get a damn tree planted????? WTH is wrong with this county? I see them repave roads that don't need repaving, leaving roads that really need repaving in disrepair. I see speed cameras popping up everywhere for more revenue.

Looks like we need new Delegates, Senators, AND County Councils members in 2014. I wish I knew this before an aspiring county executive hopeful for 2014 knocked on my door to campaign two weeks ago. I would have given him a piece of my mind. I don't ask for much here....just good roads and a damn tree. Is that so hard? I put up with speed cameras, nonsensical gun laws, and ever single nickel and dime scheme MD and MoCo comes up with new ways to spend money. Where the Hell is it all going????

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    In Carroll County, we cut our own D**ned trees down and use them for firewood, replant new ones too. In my neighborhood, we even plow and maintain our own street. Have to pay for trash service too. Still have to pay the tax bill!

I call again and find out MoCo's Stump Removal crews budget is frozen by the county council. So no removal. BUT....I can now remove it myself and county doesn't have to reimburse me.

I was told a few years back that I couldn't even remove the stump...I guess with the freeze, I can now move it.

Wow! You can do all the work yourself and the county will not punish you? What a way to be gracious MoCo!

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    MOCO sucks. Same issue here a few years back. They cut a tree down in front of my house, never removed the stump and planted a new one right next to the stump.

Then the county put in new cross walks in the neighborhood and since they did this, they HAD to put in new sidewalks. They did a crappy job on the side walks. In the winter, the sidewalks on either side of my driveway raise up almost an inch higher than my apron. The "old" sidewalks were fine. No cracks, chips, they did not raise up.

They also F'ed up my driveway apron when they parked the backhoe on it. When i complained, the supervisor came over, tried to give me some crap, saying "no we didn't" and when I showed him the damage he got in his little chevy and beat feet. Still waiting on the repair.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    It's a huge 3-4 feet in diameter stump with deep roots. Will that work on that?

I think its time this county had a full AUDIT done.

Audits only work in a two party system. MOCO does not have that. We are the suburban version of DC. Even when something is stunningly wrong, it is still OK.

Go to Gaithersburg rental, get a stump remover and go for it. Let your neighbors know what you are doing, they will probably face the same problem soon enough

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ill probably dissent here, I do think MoCo's street tree law can be a bit draconian. Any qualified tree trimmer should be permitted to remove a tree just like any other on your property, or trim it.

However, you want it stumped but dont want to pay more taxes? The County already puts millions in street trees. If you really want it removed, just have someon stump it, they will never enforce it. Yo
    Otherwise drill some holes poor some stump remover in it, in a year it will be down to the ground.

This falls in the bucket of everyone cant have everything.............you are upset about taxes and upset because they capped the tree budget to limit future increases in the tree trimming budget.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Drill a bunch of holes in it then fill them up with kerosene. Soak a few days then burn it. Either it will burn to the ground or the fire department will dig it up trying to put it out.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I'm sensing a need for tannerite...

Hahahahahaha......I would be tempted if it wasn't for the fact that its close to the house....ahahaha:party29:

Not sure what my neighbors would think. Maybe dress up an old mannequin like a zombie and put the top half on the stump like its coming out of it?

Really Officer! I thought a zombie was coming out of the stump!!

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I had the county remove one of my trees; they left the stump for a few months but finally got around to removing it. They said they'd plant a new tree, but it's been at least 3 years since the stump was removed, so I highly doubt they're gonna be getting around to that anytime soon. If I want a new tree I'll have to do it myself.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In Takoma Park, I have to pay the arborist 35 bucks to come around and tell me I can get my scrub tree cut down, on my own property. I have to go and beg the Historical Preservation people to put up a fence in my front yard; if I want a gate at the top of my porch stairs, I need their approval. I've been there 20 years longer than any of my neighbors, and this stuff all came in with them. I'm ready to leave.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    In Takoma Park, I have to pay the arborist 35 bucks to come around and tell me I can get my scrub tree cut down, on my own property. I have to go and beg the Historical Preservation people to put up a fence in my front yard; if I want a gate at the top of my porch stairs, I need their approval. I've been there 20 years longer than any of my neighbors, and this stuff all came in with them. I'm ready to leave.

Sucks when you really don't own your own property. Next move for me is Tennessee way out into the boonies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom