• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    I am currently a grad student at an out of state college. I am an non MD resident for a number of reasons, including cheaper tuition and better gun laws. Unfortunately the majority of my collection is in MD at my parents house, because of being a broke grad student I do not have the space or a secure enough storage area (gun safe) in my tinny apartment. With the new bill that passed do I have to register every thing at my parents house? Or do I need to remove it from the state?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    If they were bought in MD, you're OK. There is not a need to re-register them.

If you bought them out of state and are storing them in MD, you're probably OK as they are not property of a MD resident, but I never went to law school.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    If they were bought in MD, you're OK. There is not a need to re-register them.

If you bought them out of state and are storing them in MD, you're probably OK as they are not property of a MD resident, but I never went to law school.
    I think the person is out of state and bought all his firearms out of state but brought all his firearms in his parents house.

The best thing to do is take all your firearms where you live which is out of state and place of your residency... You cannot register firearms if your current status which is also your DL is out of state...

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    I think the person is out of state and bought all his firearms out of state but brought all his firearms in his parents house.

The best thing to do is take all your firearms where you live which is out of state and place of your residency... You cannot register firearms if your current status which is also your DL is out of state...

A large percentage of them I bought with my C&R years ago when I was still an MD resident. Others I bought when I changed my residency.

I feel your pain, I've said earlier in previous posts that I am not a gun owner. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. I am not in possession of firearms at the moment. I grew up shooting and hunting and have about 6 shotgun/rifles (4/10, 20 gauge, couple 12 gauges, 22, 7mm) inherited to me. I am now an old guy with 3 young children. I would like to take possession of these firearms; However, I currently do not have the appropriate GUN SAFE to make sure these type of firearms are safe around my children. So my input here is to make sure you can secure the firearms before bringing them into your possession. Just to clarify when I use the word "secure" I mean GUN SAFE.

Currently, turmoil here in Maryland but not a true all out gun grab yet. You're in Grad school guy, I know when I was I did NOT have a GUN SAFE. So, if you don't have a GUN SAFE, leave the firearms at your parents until you can safely store these firearms. You can get them later at this point. Granted, I don't know what your situations is but think safety my friend.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They're probably fine quietly resting at your parent's house. I would make sure they're all locked up, even with just bicycle cable locks, trigger locks, etc. The less talk about them, the better.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The large , but unasked question is your intentions of returning to Md or not.

And if your space and $ situation does not stretch to a GUNSAFE , consider if your needs can be adaquately met with a GUNLOCKER .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When I had a small child and that was before gun safes were common I disassembled my guns i.e. removed bolt or other parts and locked the parts in a secure place. I kept guns, parts and ammo separated and where kids could not access until the kids were old enough to learn safe gun handling.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

And if your space and $ situation does not stretch to a GUNSAFE , consider if your needs can be adaquately met with a GUNLOCKER .

Yep, it is all going to depend on whether he comes back or not.

I don't know all the facts to this one, but the OP might want to sit down a start a list of when/where each firearm was purchased. The ones purchased in Maryland should be fine here if the intent is to move back. Then, the ones purchased out of state and currently stored here he/she could register them when he/she moves back to Maryland. They have to be registered within 90 days of moving into Maryland.

The real sticky situation is the storing at the parents and whether the parents can get in trouble under SB281 for possessing an unregistered regulated firearm that was not transferred to them via a Form 77R. Lots of variables and risk to take into consideration, that cannot really be thoroughly addressed on a chatboard.

Yep, it sucks being in grad school, but the end result is worth it. It gives you the cash to buy guns that aren't banned, if there are any left unbanned.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006

Unfortunately my parents and girlfriend still live in the state. So i go back for visits. With the job market what it is and a load of student debt, I may have to move in with my parents after graduation until I pay off my loans. Also getting an advanced degree in history requires frequent trips to go poke around the national archives which requires me to stay at my parents' house.

I guess in the next couple of days I will have to go back up and grab everything and possibly sell things to pay for a safe at my current location.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Unfortunately my parents and girlfriend still live in the state. So i go back for visits. With the job market what it is and a load of student debt, I may have to move in with my parents after graduation until I pay off my loans. Also getting an advanced degree in history requires frequent trips to go poke around the national archives which requires me to stay at my parents' house.

I guess in the next couple of days I will have to go back up and grab everything and possibly sell things to pay for a safe at my current location.

Use student loan money to buy a safe. Do NOT sell anything that is going to be banned. A decent safe isn't all that expensive compared to the cost of a decent gun. If nothing else, see if your parents can help you with the gun safe purchase.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    SB281 has some good grandfathering clauses in it.

Long guns do not need to be registered. Handguns and scary black rifles purchased before October 1, 2013 do not need to be registered and do not require a license to possess.

Scary black rifles cannot be sold or purchased in Maryland after October 1. Handguns purchased in Maryland or brought into Maryland by out of state people who are changing residence to Maryland must have a permit and must be registered.

So, if the guns are in Maryland, keep them there. If you plan to return to Maryland to live this is the safest thing. If you move them out now you will have to register them when you return but if they stay here you don't.

Right now it is unclear where the burden of proof lies. Is it your responsibility to prove you owned the gun before 10/1/13 or is it the cops responsibility to prove you bought it after 10/1/13? A lot of guys on the Maryland Shooters forums are talking about taking photos of there guns and then signing the back of the photo and getting it notarized. This will establish that you had the gun before 10/1/13.

Sound confusing? It is. It's a horrible bill and is filled with gray areas and gotchas that will make criminals out of confused law-abiding citizens.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    Yep, it sucks being in grad school, but the end result is worth it. It gives you the cash to buy guns that aren't banned, if there are any left unbanned.

The thing that really sucks is that through all four years of my undergrad, I had a fully automatic m-14 that the army issued me. The government trusted me to have an m-14 in my room as an 18 year old and made looking after that weapon my responsibility. The army taught me how to use an m-16. I spent nine summers teaching the boy scouts how to shoot. I am currently making the focus of my research the development of military small arms through history.
    And now apparently my home state does not trust me to have things that are actually used for legitimate academic research. Sorry Ill stop ranting.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    SB281 has some good grandfathering clauses in it.

Long guns do not need to be registered. Handguns and scary black rifles purchased before October 1, 2013 do not need to be registered and do not require a license to possess.

Scary black rifles cannot be sold or purchased in Maryland after October 1. Handguns purchased in Maryland or brought into Maryland by out of state people who are changing residence to Maryland must have a permit and must be registered.

So, if the guns are in Maryland, keep them there. If you plan to return to Maryland to live this is the safest thing. If you move them out now you will have to register them when you return but if they stay here you don't.

Right now it is unclear where the burden of proof lies. Is it your responsibility to prove you owned the gun before 10/1/13 or is it the cops responsibility to prove you bought it after 10/1/13? A lot of guys on the Maryland Shooters forums are talking about taking photos of there guns and then signing the back of the photo and getting it notarized. This will establish that you had the gun before 10/1/13.

Sound confusing? It is. It's a horrible bill and is filled with gray areas and gotchas that will make criminals out of confused law-abiding citizens.

If you want to learn more about it check out http://www.mdshooters.com . There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there including some lawyers who are pro-2A.

Thanks for the information. I have been lurking here for the past 7 years just not posting much. I just wanted to see if someone knew better than I did what all this meant with my particular situation.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I should add a few points-

If you have scary black rifles in MD prior to 10/1/13 you can keep them without permits. You can continue to take them to ranges and to hunt with them. You can even take them out of state to shoot or hunt and bring them back without registering them. An out of state resident cannot bring an assault rifle in to Maryland period.

You will not be able to buy magazines greater than 10 round capacity in Maryland after 10/1/13. But get this - you can go out of state and buy them and bring them back into Maryland permanently.

Anyone under 21 cannot possess a firearm or ammunition. Temporary possession while hunting or at a range is not specifically allowed so that is a gray area. Word for word and with a strict black and white interpretation, no one under 21 can possess a firearm of any type or ammunition.

The permit or license to purchase or possess a firearm requires (1) a $50 fee (2) 4 hours of classroom training (3) a competency test at a range (4) fingerprinting (5) background check.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006

If you have scary black rifles in MD prior to 10/1/13 you can keep them without permits. You can continue to take them to ranges and to hunt with them. You can even take them out of state to shoot or hunt and bring them back without registering them. An out of state resident cannot bring an assault rifle in to Maryland period.
    So if they are not there already I can keep them but if I take them out of state than they need to stay out of state

You will not be able to buy magazines greater than 10 round capacity in Maryland after 10/1/13. But get this - you can go out of state and buy them and bring them back into Maryland permanently.

So this is the same as it allways has been with the BS 20rnd mag limit

Anyone under 21 cannot possess a firearm or ammunition. Temporary possession while hunting or at a range is not specifically allowed so that is a gray area. Word for word and with a strict black and white interpretation, no one under 21 can possess a firearm of any type or ammunition.
    Does this apply to all guns or just handguns? If it is all guns then it pretty much kills all boy scout shooting programs, in addition to numerous other things

The permit or license to purchase or possess a firearm requires (1) a $50 fee (2) 4 hours of classroom training (3) a competency test at a range (4) fingerprinting (5) background check.

does this apply to people who have already owned or purchased before or just to new purchasers

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Holy smokes, you went a little over board on that one. Those are the requirements for handgun qualification permit, and a handgun qualification permit is only required to purchase a handgun in this state. It is NOT required to possess a handgun in this state. For instance, any handgun purchased prior to October 1, 2013 can be possessed without getting a handgun qualification license.

As far as ammunition and possession of handguns by people under the age of 21, here is the actual code. Keep in mind that after October 1, 2013, handguns will be the only regulated firearms:

(d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 23 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

So, my kids will be able to shoot my handguns with my supervision. Phew.

I think they will be able to go hunting with me too under my supervision, but I am too tired to go looking for that section of the code right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom