• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    A friend was at a Texas Cabela's and saw rows and rows of AR-15's. His buddy from Arkansas bought one of the Windham AR's for about $1000 and walked out the store with it.

What happens to my buddy who is a MD resident? They say that they can't sell to him because he lives in MD, they can only sell him a hunting rifle or shotgun. He tells them, that's not correct, they can send it to his MD FFL (Engage already faxed over their info to Cabela's), and he will finish the regulated requirements with Engage. All Cabela's needs to do is the NICS checks and Federal Forms.

The clerk goes and checks with their manager and they both return and say, its their store policy not to sell to MD any regulated firearms. But...you can order them online at Cabela's and have them shipped to MD FFL. My friend tells them their website instructs HIM to goto a store and purchase, cabelas.com won't ship firearms. Manager just responds that they just can't sell to MD.

I get a text from him telling me all this and I verify MD laws again. I asked him to tell the Cabela manager that MD law hasn't changed yet, and regulated firearms ban hasn't passed yet so they can still ship to MD. Manager goes into the back for 15 minutes and then comes back out and says, sorry, I'm told that I still can't sell to MD. :mad54:

WTF? Anyone know if this is Cabela's official policy? Or is this local store just being ignorant? I remember seeing a few members here buy firearms from Cabela's in PA, so I know they can ship to MD FFL. I thought I'd share this story with everyone. My buddy left the store dejected...all those AR-15's all lined up nice and pretty......

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have been in the Cabela's in Buda Texas. Really nice store. Super firearms section. They had tons of used stuff and a crap load of new stuff (last time I was there -- 5/2012).
    They are just being overly cautious. I hate to say it, but I don't blame Cabela's for that. After all, MD laws suck....bad.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yep. They are just covering their butts. Just another froshed up penalty for living in the "Not-So-Free State".

And another very good reason to email/mail/call/fax your representatives in Annapolis and tell them what you think.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    We need across the board rules for the country not every state just make things up rules.

Negative, state authority helps to protect from national rule. It sucks for us here in the "Free State" but at least there are still free states we can go to if we choose.

What if the entire country went by New York or California regulations?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It is probably because the don't have a store in MaryLand. I think they typically ship to their own FFL in store when they transfer. Whatever the reason, I can't say I blame them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you are dealing with bigbox stores.. good luck trying to persuade them to ship to md fll.

cut your loss and move on. maybe ask your friend to shop in small brick stores.. he may have a better chance.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Look, we live in a repressive police state, so a corporation that does business all over the country has Federal, State, and local police state regulations to deal with. If Cabela's becomes targeted by the cronies of the Party's leadership cadre, like Walmart, then they would face even more scrutiny. As the police state gets out of control the punishment could be the imprisonment of Cabela's employees. Note: when I say police state I do not think actual police officers support, or have created it, but the leadership cadre of the Party is using the criminal code to punish anyone they don't like. Later on the anti-social elements will be denied educational opportunity and medical care as well.

rmdashrf

Dec 8, 2012
    Carroll
    Can you get a buddy from a free state to buy it, then do a private sale to you and your buddy sends it to the ffl?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    That blows. I was in the Buda store the week after Christmas. No AR's then but lots of everything else. I tried to buy as well and even being active duty (because of MD driver license and orders bringing me here) it was a no go.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Negative, state authority helps to protect from national rule. It sucks for us here in the "Free State" but at least there are still free states we can go to if we choose.

What if the entire country went by New York or California regulations?

Not really. State law cannot supercede federal law. State law is only allowed if it is more restrictive than federal law. For instance, if the feds ban a certain firearm, a state CANNOT pass a law allowing that firearm to be legal.

Ultimately, this comes down to Cabela's NOT wanting to deal with the FFL transfer. They want to sell guns right then and there, and not have to ship them all over the country to FFL's. Ran into this issue in PA about 7 years ago when we visited the Cabelas there. My brother wanted to buy a handgun there and was told NO because his driver's license was from MD.

It SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Cabela's, so I don't want to bad mouth them too much, but they really should think about changing their gun sales policy to allow purchase in a store with shipment to a FFL in states like MD.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hmm..I found this on Cabela's website.

Maryland:
    Residents of Maryland can purchase non-regulated (shotguns and non-assault style rifles) long guns in any other state.
    Residents any can purchase non-regulated long guns in Maryland.
    (MD Code 5-204:5-123;124)
    Note: for a list of regulated firearms in the state of Maryland please refer to www.ATF.gov

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=GunRestrictions

Possible way for your friend to get around this is to have his friend buy the gun, and then have his friend sell it to him for the exact same price and ship it to the MD FFL to do all the paperwork for the private to private sale.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And store policy can be more restrictive.

Basically Federal law sets the minimum requirements.

State law can be more restrictive, but NOT less.

Local law can be more restrictive than state, but not less.

Store policy can be more restrictive than the above, but not less.

Some stores do not want to deal with keeping up with various state laws, so they just won't sell to out of state or to certain states. I have found some stores that would not sell a bolt rifle to me. :(

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    According to the Md. constitution the federal constitution is the supreme law of the land.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' is so hard to comprehend?:sad20:

Feb 28, 2013
    That would be a straw purchase, the buddy is not the actual purchaser, IMO.

Is there a certain period of time that has to elapse before that's no longer considered a straw purchase?

Otherwise, I don't really see the problem with 2 legal transfers.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    That would be a straw purchase, the buddy is not the actual purchaser, IMO.

I thought a straw purchase was when someone buys a gun for someone who normally would not be able to buy one. In this case a friend is legally buying the gun. and sends it to an FFL who will then register it so you will legally be able to own the gun. (don't forget the background check and at least a month wait) It's not like the friend is buying the gun and gives it to you without any registration.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I know that my FFL has gotten a couple of regulated items from Cabelas as transfers in the past few weeks without any difficulty. Perhaps there has been a very recent change in policy or it applies to in person transaction? Would suggest calling TX Cabelas and a couple of others directly after returning to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom