• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    What do you guys think of this?

SAIGA AK- 47 RIFLE DEAL

ONE NEW SAIGA AK RIFLE 7.62X39 W/ CLEANING ROD. 1 U.S. MANUFACTURED 30 ROUND POLYMER MAG, 1 EASTERN BLOC RIBBED BACK STEEL 30 RD MAGAZINE, 1 AK MAG POUCH, 1 SLING, 1 CLEANING KIT, 1 OIL BOTTLE AND THE ORIGINAL RUSSIAN HUNTING STYLE BUTTSTOCK W/CHECKERED PISTOL GRIP. THIS IS A
    FANTASTIC DEAL BUT QUANTITIES ARE VERY LIMITED.....
    HURRY..... SAIGA-AK RIFLE..........$549.95........SALE......$475.00

It looks like the Saiga 7.62x39 that normally goes for $299 and they did all the necessary conversions on it.

That Saiga-12 looks tempting as well. sigh...decisions, decisions....

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    What do you guys think of this?

It looks like the Saiga 7.62x39 that normally goes for $299 and they did all the necessary conversions on it.

That Saiga-12 looks tempting as well. sigh...decisions, decisions....

At that price, not a bad thing to jump on. Just be aware that Tennessee Guns, the company that does that particular conversion, is not well regarded. They didn't bother putting bullet guides in early on, then only did it half-assed before finally getting enough complaints that they welded them in somewhat properly. No telling what batch these are from but at that price buying and installing a bullet guide yourself wouldn't be much of a problem if you have a drill lying around.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    classic arms does some of their own conversions (they were selling their own romy builds for a while).

They have a very good reputation for honest descriptions and quality fire arms. I have 3 of their k98's and they are all exceptional.

I would not hesitate to buy from them.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Classic is a great company to deal with. Ben is the greatest and I would trust him to stand behind what he sells. I would stay away from the retards at Centerfire, in my opinion. I have had problems with them in the past.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I thought Saiga's were based off of the AK47, used the same receiver but modified slightly. Built in the Russian plant, and start life as an AK receiver, but with some modifications, but not technically an AK47? Either way, it seems to be a pretty nice rifle.

I just picked one up in 7.62x39, got my "not dissaproved" and took delivery yesterday. I like everything about it, even the "crappy" trigger feels good to me. I called a whole bunch of shops, and only a select few had them. The best I could find anywhere within like 40 miles was $425 OTD. I ended up driving 25 miles into baltimore county and picked one up for $430 OTD because it was a lot closer. Mine is just the standard RAA Saiga, not the Classic Arms, and its not converted. Just a regular ole' 7.62x39 Saiga. Came with a cleaning rod, oil bottle, cleaning kit, 10 round mag, owners manual and the Rifle.

Mine has a few scratches here and there, but nothing horrible. Apparently they get kinda beat up in shipping, and a lot of people look at em' in the stores. It is based off an AK though, so you know the thing will take a beating and ask for more :) I will let you know how it shoots probably Sunday. I have read on the interweb about people getting them with 90mm as the "accuracy testing" in the manual. Mine is rated at 135mm, but them Russians like their Vodka :D We will see how accurate it is soon enough I guess.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I thought Saiga's were based off of the AK47, used the same receiver but modified slightly. Built in the Russian plant, and start life as an AK receiver, but with some modifications, but not technically an AK47? Either way, it seems to be a pretty nice rifle.

I just picked one up in 7.62x39, got my "not dissaproved" and took delivery yesterday. I like everything about it, even the "crappy" trigger feels good to me. I called a whole bunch of shops, and only a select few had them. The best I could find anywhere within like 40 miles was $425 OTD. I ended up driving 25 miles into baltimore county and picked one up for $430 OTD because it was a lot closer. Mine is just the standard RAA Saiga, not the Classic Arms, and its not converted. Just a regular ole' 7.62x39 Saiga. Came with a cleaning rod, oil bottle, cleaning kit, 10 round mag, owners manual and the Rifle.

Mine has a few scratches here and there, but nothing horrible. Apparently they get kinda beat up in shipping, and a lot of people look at em' in the stores. It is based off an AK though, so you know the thing will take a beating and ask for more :) I will let you know how it shoots probably Sunday. I have read on the interweb about people getting them with 90mm as the "accuracy testing" in the manual. Mine is rated at 135mm, but them Russians like their Vodka :D We will see how accurate it is soon enough I guess.

Saiga's are the best deal on the market, now that parts kits are running 225-275.

The trigger will break in a little after shooting a bunch. The extra linkages to put the trigger at the rear for the monte carlo stock dont help at all. Or you can convert it, and put in a much better us made trigger group.

As far as the op is concerned, there are better deals out there still,i think.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Saiga's are the best deal on the market, now that parts kits are running 225-275.

The trigger will break in a little after shooting a bunch. The extra linkages to put the trigger at the rear for the monte carlo stock dont help at all. Or you can convert it, and put in a much better us made trigger group.

As far as the op is concerned, there are better deals out there still,i think.

No, what I meant was that the trigger felt good to me. Obviously I haven't had a live round through it, but I did dry fire it a few times to test out the trigger since I heard such bad things about it, and it felt pretty good to me. Not too stiff, but not too weak. Predictable break, but not too predictable. I didn't feel that upward pull everyone talks about. Granted, I am a newbie with rifles (and still wet behind the ears in handguns too I suppose), but I have no complaints :)

what better deals are there do you think? I may be able to pick up one more "regulated" firearm before elections.. :D

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Hmm...there's speculation on the Saiga boards that the Classic Arms conversion is done by Tennessee Guns which has a terrible rep when it comes to conversions. I'll probably call CA tomorrow and just ask them. Otherwise, I might just get a stock version for $299 and do a conversion later.

Anyone in this area do conversions? LOL.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I converted a saiga .223 a few years back. It was really pretty easy with just a dremel and a cordless drill.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I called Classic Arms this morning and inquired about their Saiga Ak-47 conversion. They told me that it is done by the gunsmith next door to their store, so this batch is not done by Tennessee Guns. They guarentee their work so if there's any problems, just call them and they'll fix it.

So that's $475.

They are also getting more Saiga 12 shotguns as well. That's $520.

Converted Saiga AK-47 $475
    SaigaAk47-vi.jpg

Saiga Sport "OEM" $299
    SaigaSport-vi.jpg

Saiga 12 Guage Autoshotgun $519 (unconverted)
    Saiga12-vi.jpg

Saiga Pro Hunter edition w/ scope $299 (price doesn't include scope)
    SaigaProHunterwScope-vi.jpg

That hunter version looks nice too! LOL.
    I Can't Decide??!!!?!!? LOL. Come on folks, help me decide which "evil" gun to get :)

Last edited:

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I got a hold of one of those shotguns with the 20 round mag the the shoot. Definite zombie slayer there.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Hmm...Atlantic Guns in Rockville wants $399 for one. They said they can get it in for me within a week. hmm......

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    This probably best explains it.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530

The Saiga 7.62 is sold stock or "oem" for $299 and for $475, Classic Arms has replaced certain parts to make it Section 922r compliant. And as I previously stated, Atlantic Guns says they can get one within a week for $399

You have a Saiga-7.62x39 and want to use high capacity magazines. Since high capacity magazines are considered “unsporting”, and would be in violation of 922®. Your rifle with mag has 14 parts. Use U.S. made mags and one additional U.S. made part like a gas piston and you are good to go.

What is Section 922r?
    Section 922®, of Title 18, U.S.C. prohibits assembly of certain semiautomatic rifles from imported parts. The implementing regulations in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) section 178.39(a), provide that no person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d) (3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

For further information about 922®, go to the ATF Website or http://uscode.house.gov/ and search for 18 U.S.C. § 922® and 27 CFR § 478.39 of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd want to know who's making the receiver Dizzy, never heard of the company but I'm not real up on the AK's

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    one thing to note f you are considering a converted one is the stock saigas have a manual slide lock - I've never seen the slide lock remain on a converted one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom