• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    This was my first big basement hydrograhic project. It is a Hi-Point .45 that started out stock and went camo. I got the gun on the cheap and figured it was a good first attempt candidate. Truth be told, it's not a bad shooter but that's not what this is about. Anyway, started with just the grips and got a little carried away. Check it out, before and after...

Attachments

• HP .45 Black.jpg
      HP .45 Black.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 292
    • HP .45 Camo 1.jpg
      HP .45 Camo 1.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 282
    • HP .45 Camo 2.jpg
      HP .45 Camo 2.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 284
    • HP .45 Camo 3.jpg
      HP .45 Camo 3.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 289
    • HP .45 Camo 4.jpg
      HP .45 Camo 4.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 282

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Everything you need as far as materials comes in a kit. Quite a bit of prep work as far as typical cleaning, then detergent cleaning, disassembly, scuffing, taping/cover-ups. Primer and base coat paints included in kit. The actual dipping went really well. Used 2 Rubbermaid storage tubs, 1 small for grips and slide and a larger, deeper tub for the disassembled lower. It was fun if not a little stressful when actually dipping. I saw it done on YouTube and thought it was a sharp project. Really glad I did it. Looking for some grips or a used rifle stock to dip next. There are lots of patterns available out there too.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    @ TrappedinMD - I used a home DIY kit from www.mydipkit.com By the way - not a salesman, my wife got the kit for me as a Christmas gift. After the dipping process, there's a spray on top coat that also is in the kit. I used 3 coats. Supposed to let it cure 14 days prior to rough service. The ink is really set up on the surface of the project about 60 seconds after removing it from the solution. Amazing stuff.

thatguy

Feb 25, 2010
    Is it necessary to spray on the top coat? I was under the impression just the dip itself was fairly durable, unless you were dragging it across concrete or something. Does the top coat make it shiny?

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    It may not be necessary to spray the top coat but I just followed the directions in the kit. This gun has 3 coats on prior to reassembly - it's a matte finish. No shine at all.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Is it necessary to spray on the top coat? I was under the impression just the dip itself was fairly durable, unless you were dragging it across concrete or something. Does the top coat make it shiny?

The quality of the top coat is what determines the durability of the whole project. Great job doing it yourself truely makes it yours.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Thanks all - I found a button buck skull near the Gunpowder River in Prettyboy Watershed while bowhunting. I think I'll try that next and mount it to a finished wood plaque. It'll be a little while before it's done, will post pictures if it's worthy. Also looking at different patterns for future attempts - varieties of camo, flames, skulls.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    are you going to use camo on the skull or a different pattern?

I'll use the camo again as you only get 1 square yard of a pattern in the basic kit. I'll look at other prints as project ideas come up. Unfortunately, it's not cheap so I won't just stock up until I know what I want to use it for. A friend of mine wants me to do a skull pattern on a set of pistol grips, but that print doesn't go with the european style mount I'm thinking of for the button buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom