• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I am considering becoming a certified instructor and wanted to see if anyone is aware of a pre-requisite NRA basic instructor class that might be held local to the northern Baltimore County/Hampstead/Timonium area. Appreciate any help. Thanks...

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You guys would need to contact a training counselor as they are the only ones that can certify instructors. Contact this gentleman: mcbruzdzinski@bspsafe.com - Michael Bruzdzinski

He is an industry partner here and a training counselor, seems to be a pretty good guy as well. Good Luck!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You guys would need to contact a training counselor as they are the only ones that can certify instructors. Contact this gentleman: mcbruzdzinski@bspsafe.com - Michael Bruzdzinski

He is an industry partner here and a training counselor, seems to be a pretty good guy as well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the plug!

The Basic Instructor Training (or BIT) is usually offered prior to any of the instructor classes. The BIT goes over the NRA requirements and basic structure to teach any NRA class.

Please note that your TCs will also have their instructor candidates take a pre-requisite demonstration of firearms (pistol/rifle/shotgun) proficiency before allowing them to even take the instructor class. This session may be combination of both written and practical demonstration of safe gun handling and range drills.

I hope this helps as I know the NRA instructor process can be confusing. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Last edited:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Wether you intend to do instruction professionally or not I can't recomend the instructor training enough. I also recomend getting the NRA posters for their basic Rifle,Pistol and Shotgun classes. Whenever attempting to influence iffy/anti's having a good base of knowlege and quality materials makes a huge difference. You can also set up a range anywhere with a blanket and a few quality softairs for marksmanship training/practice.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    I dont plan on starting a business doing this or anything. I'd mainly want to take a class for when I'm introducing new people to shooting. I'd feel better if I had more structure when I bring people to the range. Is this class something that would be good for this or would it be overkill?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The NRA classes give a good structured approach to teaching folks about firearms. Some of the lecture/classroom portions may be a bit of overkill, but overall the classroom portion gives a new shooter a comfort level in terms of firearms nomenclature, safe gun handling and familiarization with ammunition.

For sure the range drills are good for those who have never fired a firearm at all.

THe good thing is being an instructor also opens up discounts from gun manufacturers (Ruger, Charter Arms, Henry come to mind) as well as vendors (Brownell's, MidwayUSA) and others.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I dont plan on starting a business doing this or anything. I'd mainly want to take a class for when I'm introducing new people to shooting. I'd feel better if I had more structure when I bring people to the range. Is this class something that would be good for this or would it be overkill?

This is what I do. If you have opprotunities to influence anti/iffy's then the better prepared you are the better you will make our case and influence people.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    The NRA classes give a good structured approach to teaching folks about firearms. Some of the lecture/classroom portions may be a bit of overkill, but overall the classroom portion gives a new shooter a comfort level in terms of firearms nomenclature, safe gun handling and familiarization with ammunition.

For sure the range drills are good for those who have never fired a firearm at all.

THe good thing is being an instructor also opens up discounts from gun manufacturers (Ruger, Charter Arms, Henry come to mind) as well as vendors (Brownell's, MidwayUSA) and others.

Do you have any courses coming up? I checked the NRA site and didnt find anything scheduled

wklohr

Stand Ye Steady!
    Jul 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    How does one go about finding this BIT course? I checked the NRAinstructors.org site, and while I didnt dig deeply, I dont see BIT on the course catelog listings. Thanks for the good info!

William Lohr
    Frederick

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    How does one go about finding this BIT course? I checked the NRAinstructors.org site, and while I didnt dig deeply, I dont see BIT on the course catelog listings. Thanks for the good info!

William Lohr
    Frederick

The BIT is normally not offered seperate from an instructor class. The BIT is the first 6-8 hours of an instructor course!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    TO MCBRUZDZINSKI:

Approximately how much would it cost to become a NRA certified intsructor.?

The NRA fees for a first time instructor, assuming you are an NRA member will be $13.50.

The class costs vary by TC as each prices his course according to the facility cost, materials, etc (all of which you learn about in the BIT). The NRA prefers that instructor classes have at least 4 students and can last from 2 to 3 days depending on the course offered.

I have seen the instructor classes offered for a low as $75.00 to as high as $500.00. For me, the cost is usually $250-300.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom