Electronic Targets (I.e. “Shot Marker”), any experience with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So, I’m fixin’ to git ready to start moving toward researching for eventual purchase of an electronic target system and after a conversation with a fellow club member at the range earlier today the only one I’m aware of at this point is the “Shot Marker” out of Canada ( https://autotrickler.com/pages/shotmarker )

(Well, he did advise there is another system out of Norway but not necessarily worth the extra money for my max. range of 300 yards)

As is so often (always! :lol2: ) the case, MDS.com is one of the first places I come seeking any members with practical experience on the system I’m considering OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR OR RELATED systems.

Anyone have and use a “Shot Marker” or similar electronic target?

Thanks in advance for any experience(s)!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't have one but a few buddies do. They are legit. If you shoot a lot (especially at distance where you can't see bullet holes) game changer. Tells you velocity at target so you can tweak g1 and g7 in the ballsitc calculators.

You have to build target frames for the targets, not terribly hard but if you have a 3ftx3ft frame, might be a bit small at 300 yards and beyond, you don't want people shooting the sensors. They sell separate sensors that you calibrate I belive one time only so you can build a bigger target for the long ranges.

I'm only aware of the shot marker, I dont think there are any competitors at the moment currently for individual users. I shoot on electronic targets often, but they are commerical large units and cost well over 100k. Reade and bridgeville DE have the same brand units.

I'm looking to join another club that goes out to 300 so I can do load testing at that distance. If they will allow shot marker, im getting one 100%.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Thanks Speed!

Ya, considering the prices of some of the spotting scopes I’ve been looking at (and for which I’d have no other use, not going Dall sheep hunting anytime soon! :-) the $800 for this system is a no-brainer!

ETA: the frame I’ll build will be juuuuust wide enough to fit between the wheel wells of my truck beds (Tundra and a ram)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    There are probably some in depth reviews on YouTube. Instantly seeing group size on the screen and velocities are awesome. Or if you have a barrel tuner(EC tuner seems to be the new hype), testing seating depth, neck tension etc, seeing what things do down range with out having to go cold or jump in the truck, speeds the process up a LOT. Hell shooting the same hold in varying wind cnistions with instant feedback, is priceless.

I've spent $800 or dumber shit in my life lol.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Without looking this up cause I'm lazy. Is this an electronic system IE chamber insert and corresponding reciever like Mantjs X or is it a "smart target/sensor" that interprets live ammo into data?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    MoparNoCar!!!!! :party29:

I don’t think so; from da website:

Using 8 high precision MEMS microphones placed in the four corners of your frame, ShotMarker precisely measures the point of impact and down-range velocity of each shot

https://autotrickler.com/pages/shotmarker

Attachments

• 5D49B79B-1E16-4E78-8F44-B1BFD56968CE.jpg
      5D49B79B-1E16-4E78-8F44-B1BFD56968CE.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 135

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    The deed is done.

(so much for a deliberative research, exploration and reconsideration phase, thanks to Speed3! :lol: )

Heck, thanks to Red1917 we even blew past the “3 vendor quotes and substantiation submission-to-the-household CFO” phase! :lol2:

Attachments

• D06AFBB7-2D7C-476C-93D0-D2F8FB39104A.jpg
      D06AFBB7-2D7C-476C-93D0-D2F8FB39104A.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads