• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I had kind of a fun conversation with a guy at work the other day. I figured it might be interesting to bring it to the MDS community.

Coming from a civilian stand point, do you think the old school ALICE gear is still a viable option for someone who doesn't want or need to invest hundreds in new highspeed molle gear? Basically think Switzerland for this stuff. Its not really going to be used unless we are invaded(and occasional training).

Personally, I have both MOLLE and ALICE gear. For years I have used both for camping, hiking, airsoft(back in the day), and just general militia collecting purposes. I like ALICE gear better just because I hate velcro and elastic, but I have never served and haven't really taken any formal training classes, so I have no real input from a tactical standpoint. It might not be highspeed, but I don't think I would have a problem using the claissics. A pistol belt/suspenders, 1 or 2 M16 mag pouches, first aid kit, pistol mag pouches, and an M12 holster. Then again, I could be wrong!

The gentleman I was talking to had the idea that with appropriate training, ALICE gear would still be effective for the average weekend warrior. He also brought up the point if you have a limited amount of money to spend, beside a quality weapon, he would spend the next most on quality rifle plates.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Again keep in mind this is coming from a civilian standpoint, with a limited budget.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I read that present day troops don't like Velcro because it wears out in the field too quickly.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Hell yes. Get some updated shoulder strap and you have a pack that’ll last longer than you’ll need it

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I read that present day troops don't like Velcro because it wears out in the field too quickly.

I have heard the same. I have also seen it within my line of work. Velcro is terrible in field applications.

Hell yes. Get some updated shoulder strap and you have a pack that’ll last longer than you’ll need it

In my opinion there is no better pack than the Medium ALICE pack. I have one with Tactical Tailor straps. Its a force to be reckoned with.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    We needed to meatbag-mount some electronic equipment for a field test several years ago. An ALICE pack frame worked like a champ. Would have been much more complicated and difficult to use a MOLLE frame.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Interesting note about Velcro wearing out... I've worn body armor for 21 years now. I've had the elastic break down in the side straps, but I've never had Velcro fail.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Interesting note about Velcro wearing out... I've worn body armor for 21 years now. I've had the elastic break down in the side straps, but I've never had Velcro fail.
    Field problem. Clogs up with dirt & fine debris, loses it's 'sticky'.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county

To my understanding the Velcro failure is due to the repetition that something like a mag pouches would see and the dirt and debris found in the field.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I love the ALICE ruck straps. I have them on everything. Backpack, rucks, treestands. I have a hard time finding them anymore. The adjusters eventually wear out.

Just wanted to put this one out there.

Very fond of these little Dutch ration pouches that take ALICE CLIPS

They are just the right size to double as a magazine pouch

Sarco has 'em for reasonable as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1462.jpg
      IMG_1462.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 275
    • IMG_1461.jpg
      IMG_1461.jpg
      121.2 KB · Views: 264

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I like the Tactical Tailor malice clips to add molle like a dump pouch or IFAK to a LCxx web belt because it works with 2.5" belt. Maxipedition and others will slide (loose) on a LCxx belt. H type suspenders if you can find them with metal snap hooks.. Alice is a lot cooler in summer so I have read.

paperwork351

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Just to put this out there, you don't have to spend hundreds to get into molle gear. If you don't mind either army UCP digi or old tri color desert pattern stuff, there is a ton of good condition surplus molle on ebay for cheap. Also a lot of older molle stuff has snaps not velcro.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Personally for hiking an alice pack will wreck my back. My over priced osprey is my go to and my back thanks me so its worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    When it comes to tactical battle rattle, velcro is one of the biggest damn noise makers especially in the dark.

Back in the good old grunt days, the guys with the adjustable velcro tac belts, watch bands, map case, packs and misc gear would be giving away their positions with one big "RRRIIIPPPPPP". Great for the OPFOR.

Now, in Aviation, we couldn't live, dress or fly without our velcro especially when we had to have flights suits set up for OD and Dress patches plus be able to santize to no nametags, clean&green as required.

Getting the velcro cut and mounted was expensive but not as expensive as getting OD and Dress patches sewn on several different flight suits and jackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom