• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    My eForm 1 was disapproved because "The making and/or possession of this firearm would be in violation of State or local law.". Nothing else.

I'm curious about the details but I can't seem to get any further information from the NFA. I wanted to see if I could answer my own question by asking here.

The OAL is specified at 29.75". Is that okay?
    Barrel length is specified as 9.75" in the upper I'm considering. Is that okay?

What other MD laws do I need to consider when filing an ATF eForm 1 to make an SBR?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    My eForm 1 was disapproved because "The making and/or possession of this firearm would be in violation of State or local law.". Nothing else.

I'm curious about the details but I can't seem to get any further information from the NFA. I wanted to see if I could answer my own question by asking here.

The OAL is specified at 29.75". Is that okay?
    Barrel length is specified as 9.75" in the upper I'm considering. Is that okay?

What other MD laws do I need to consider when filing an ATF eForm 1 to make an SBR?

You meet the 29” OAL requirement and there is no specific mention of barrel length with respect to SBR so you should be good. I received a similar SVR stamp back in 2017 the only difference was that my barrel was 10-1/2”.

How did you answer the question pertaining to the purpose of the firearm?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What type of firearm is this based upon ? We usually assume AR platform , but not specified here .

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    You meet the 29” OAL requirement and there is no specific mention of barrel length with respect to SBR so you should be good. I received a similar SVR stamp back in 2017 the only difference was that my barrel was 10-1/2”.

How did you answer the question pertaining to the purpose of the firearm?

ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    My guess is that they saw the barrel length and assume that a typical AR-15 carbine couldn't be >29 inches with that length.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    My guess is that they saw the barrel length and assume that a typical AR-15 carbine couldn't be >29 inches with that length.
    Ah, so you think its the math of 29.75" - 9.75" = 20" and there is no way to create a legal SBR with the remaining 20"?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    In reality you can. They're not smart enough to know that (really too lazy). IIRC, It takes a little over 11.5" with a regular carbine stock to get to 29" plus. For example, you could be pinning and welding something on, though I guess in that case you would list the barrel as longer. Just my guess.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    What type of firearm is this based upon ? We usually assume AR platform , but not specified here .

Actually, I'm not sure I answered your question. The receiver specified is an Aero Precision M4E1. The receiver is designated as multi-caliber but I had read indicating a specific caliber on the form would help.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    Thanks all for the feedback.

At this point I suppose it's all speculation based on the ATF officer.

So much for trying to be honest and realistic. Trying to do the right thing is futile.

The next Form 1 I file will be to purchase an SBR (sometime in the future). Maybe that'll go smoother.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You could always plan on doing a 12.5" barrel and then change your mind. It happens. Pretty sure you just mail them a letter informing them of a config change. You can add/amend configs to your stamp.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    This state is so goofy. Let us know if you learn more. I thought its just the >29" thing. Sheesh. I'm getting ready to file some Form 1's for both an M85 and M92 going from pistols and will be right at 29.1" probably when said and done, but haven't focused on barrel length.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    This state is so goofy. Let us know if you learn more. I thought its just the >29" thing. Sheesh. I'm getting ready to file some Form 1's for both an M85 and M92 going from pistols and will be right at 29.1" probably when said and done, but haven't focused on barrel length.

As it turns out, the disapproval was a blessing in disguise.
    I've been doing some reading and my SBR build plans were flawed from the beginning.
    I think my only advice right now is do a lot of upfront research and when you think you know enough, keep researching. I found some information which I don't think I would've ever concluded like a suppressor could be considered a flash hider.
    I'm backing off on my SBR build plan and moving on to my next project.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ah, so you think its the math of 29.75" - 9.75" = 20" and there is no way to create a legal SBR with the remaining 20"?

Standard AR parts require a 10.5" barrel to make 29".

You may have to get them info on how you were going to do it with a 9.75" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom