• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I know...Why???? But the weather is getting warmer and fishing is about to go full season.

Just like reloading, I wouldn’t mind making wooden lures. I got 3 mini mes that I want to come with me when I go fishing. so buying them their own(snowflakes, all 3. Lol) set would be just expensive. Not talking about the 2 inch 3/4 lures for freshwater. Talking about 6+ inches 2 1/2 + oz wooden lures for the surf (rocks and blues). I know chunk baits the best for DELMARVA area. But always like doing stuff like this so...

Anybody make their own wooden lures? I know you need a wood lathe, chisels, etc. than the cost of wood, sealers, hooks, paints, already over $300, and that’s buying the cheapest equipment I can find. Can get a tons of lures, professionally made, at that price. But...

What is a a good cheap wood lathe? Don’t need anything that makes table legs or anthing.

What wood is best? Read hobby wood to cedar wood. Even read broom sticks.

Best way to seal wood? Can I use Thompson water seal from hd?

If anybody has knowledge that they are willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking it will be a fun wood shop hobby I can do for a long time. Maybe teach my kids something in the process

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Following.......
    I fish off of Ocean City and thought about making some Cedar Plugs for trolling for bluefish. Last year they were hitting EVERYTHING I put into the water once I found them. Just for the fun of it. I sure won't be looking to spend that much on tools though.
    since I already mold lead, I did get a couple sinker molds and I won't be having the need to buy any lead sinkers this year.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I was thinking about doing sinks also. I have lots of lead at home. Have you every try to make bulktails. I know they are cheap and could get a 2 oz bucktail for $2 dollars. Just wondering.

I caught cabelas bargain cave last November. 6 pk 2 1/4 jig heads for under 2 dollars. It’s the bucktail hair that’s expensive

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You don't need a wood lathe to make plugs. You can whittle the basic shape out of a block of soft wood in short time.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I made some D baits that I made 3.5" for stripers. it has an aggressive wobble and changing the width of the blade would lessen that.

Cheap lure foil tape made from metal duct tape available at lowes.

How to make your own hook hanger for smaller lures that don;t need to be through wired like bass lures and smaller striper stuff.

Pattern for the D bait blades.

Here is some google drive files. Recipe sheets for different sizes of the D baits, 3" rattle trap that rests on the bottle nose first when not retrieved.

Tackle Underground
    is the message board you want to read up on.

I make a lot of inline spinners too, spinnerbaits and jigs.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I don’t do wood lures, but I’ve made hundreds, if not thousands, of flies. There’s something quite enjoyable about tricking a fish into biting something you made.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t do wood lures, but I’ve made hundreds, if not thousands, of flies. There’s something quite enjoyable about tricking a fish into biting something you made.

Me too!

I used to tie for all the local shops in DC and MoCo. Its been a few years. I have a ton of material just sitting around collecting dust.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    You don't need a wood lathe to make plugs. You can whittle the basic shape out of a block of soft wood in short time.
    When I was young and care free. I made a lure from pine but never finished it with hooks and such. I used wood files for better control. I did learn to tie flies. Lost two flies within four cast attempts and never did that again.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I made some D baits that I made 3.5" for stripers. it has an aggressive wobble and changing the width of the blade would lessen that.

Cheap lure foil tape made from metal duct tape available at lowes.

How to make your own hook hanger for smaller lures that don;t need to be through wired like bass lures and smaller striper stuff.

Pattern for the D bait blades.

Here is some google drive files. Recipe sheets for different sizes of the D baits, 3" rattle trap that rests on the bottle nose first when not retrieved.

Tackle Underground
    is the message board you want to read up on.

I make a lot of inline spinners too, spinnerbaits and jigs.

WOW!!! Hope to be at that skill soon or later. Thx for the links. Not gonna get any work done today....lol

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    My BIL's nephew makes his own saltwater and freshwater lures. He makes his own heads and hand paints them and will tie whatever buck tail hair color desired. Just a few examples and his card.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpg
      IMG_0822.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 151
    • IMG_0824.jpg
      IMG_0824.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 189
    • IMG_0825.jpg
      IMG_0825.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 140
    • IMG_0826.jpg
      IMG_0826.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 154
    • IMG_0827.jpg
      IMG_0827.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 146

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Years ago I was making my own spinner baits for bass. Then I had kids and that ended that and just last night I was looking at some videos on how to make my own fishing rods. It's very satisfying to make something and catch fish with it.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Guys - A couple of you asked me to stop by based on a Water Cooler post. I've turned quite a few plugs over the years, and learned a few things.

As you move through the progression from bait to lures to plugs to flies, you'll learn what matters and what don't. That is the allure of fishing.

Stripers in particular will hit a properly presented cigarette butt. In the end though, you want to do it right. Making your own lures helps drive toward that goal. One of my most effective lures ever is an ISPG: Inline Sinker Painted Green!

vV3VUAe.jpg

There is lots of advice out there on sealing your plugs, eyes for hooks etc. some things are waaaay overdone. A simple unsealed cedar plug WILL catch fish.

HtOXiTT.jpg

That said, I've got plugs I made 10 years ago that are still going strong.

Here are some basics:

Best wood: Alaskan Yellow Cedar (dust is toxic), basswood.
    Easiest sealer: Minwax Helmsman. Dip the plug.
    Sand lightly:
    Water based paint for color.
    Topcoat with helmsman or Envirotex lite from Michael's. Hang it in a sealed soda cup to dry to minimize dust "boogers". Two coats.
    Thru wiring for hook mounts is not necessary. I've never had an epoxied stainless screw eye fail.

Profile - Certainly my most successful profile is a Spook. Buy a Spook and have it near your lathe so you can approximate the profile.
    Color - Not critical. The motion is the most critical. Embedding 3/8 oz of lead about 2/3 of the way back gives you the ability to "walk the dog". Color is for your artistic outlet, though generally dark colors at dusk and dawn, light colors in bright sun.

Everything in salt crushes a Spook.

l6G7ZmW.jpg

Hooks - siwash 1/0 or 2/0 - stainless split ring (buy the pliers!)

At some point, you might get an airbrush. Totally up to you and it won't improve your catch. Rattle cans are fine to start out with. Unless you are trying to catch fishermen - this one brought $65 at a charity auction...

4iGrAdw.jpg

Getting a Vise and tying up your tail hooks helps also. That allows you to progress to flies as well (another chapter!):

B7bWOTz.jpg

Happy fishing!

P.S. - Scales are done with an onion sack. Paint your scale color, clip the sack over the dried paint with a binder clip, spray your top colors....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom