• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Looking for a place within 6 hours where I can do a 40 mile loop in 3 days (4 nights) without seeing any darn people.

Already did Dolly....prefer to do something different, maybe a little more challenging.

Ideas?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Check out the Tuscarora trail. It's sort of a cousin to the AT. Well maintained but far fewer hikers. It mostly goes through GW National Forest.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Looking for a place within 6 hours where I can do a 40 mile loop in 3 days (4 nights) without seeing any darn people.

Already did Dolly....prefer to do something different, maybe a little more challenging.

Ideas?

I live right in the middle of the backpacking center of West Virginia. I can recommend many places for you. Try the Allegheny Trail that stretches from Western Virginia, all through WV to South-Central PA. You will see few people along any stretch of it.

Another area that has few people and spectacular views and is adjacent to Dolly Sods is The Roaring Plains Wilderness. My property is adjacent to this on the shoulder of Mt. Porte Crayon. You rarely if ever find other hikers there.

Another great hike is the North Fork Mountain trail. Beautiful views! More people though, but not terribly so.

I have a bunch of other places I can tell you about, all in the Mon. It is getting more crowded out there, you just have to find those off the beaten track places that are still out of the mainstream.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    The Chuck Keiper trail in Renovo PA. It’s two loops so you can do the entire thing, Around 50 miles or you can do the 30 mile or 20 mile loop. It’s got a lot of elevation loss and gain and is really secluded. I saw one other couple when I hiked the 20 mile loop.

http://www.pahikes.com/trails/chuck-keiper-trail

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    I live right in the middle of the backpacking center of West Virginia. I can recommend many places for you. Try the Allegheny Trail that stretches from Western Virginia, all through WV to South-Central PA. You will see few people along any stretch of it.

Another area that has few people and spectacular views and is adjacent to Dolly Sods is The Roaring Plains Wilderness. My property is adjacent to this on the shoulder of Mt. Porte Crayon. You rarely if ever find other hikers there.

Another great hike is the North Fork Mountain trail. Beautiful views! More people though, but not terribly so.

I have a bunch of other places I can tell you about, all in the Mon. It is getting more crowded out there, you just have to find those off the beaten track places that are still out of the mainstream.

First off, jealous of you as I'd love to have a piece of property out your way!

Is Otter Creek still pretty well uninhabited by hikers? Yeah, it was probably 40 years ago that I was last there, but hopefully it hasn't changed too much. Beautiful area.

And the original OP might not be doing 40 miles in a weekend...but with the elevation changes, probably be happy not to.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    First off, jealous of you as I'd love to have a piece of property out your way!

Is Otter Creek still pretty well uninhabited by hikers? Yeah, it was probably 40 years ago that I was last there, but hopefully it hasn't changed too much. Beautiful area.

And the original OP might not be doing 40 miles in a weekend...but with the elevation changes, probably be happy not to.

Otter Creek still gets light use. I see a car parked in the lot at the trail head every once in a while. I take my dog for a walk on the start of the trail every once in a while on my lunch break.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The Canaan backcountry in WV, a circumnavigation of the Roaring Plains in WV, all kinds of options in SNP, the Massanutten Mountain Trail in the GWNF in Virginia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom