Baltimore County

Here is a Air-weight that never had the internal lock
    6bcad0703011a07eafddcefa61aeefef.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do not waste your money on new S&W revolvers with the Hillary Hole (internal lock) when there are so many classic Smiths out there for sale. So many are available that were shot very little or not at all.

A used S&W without the HH will hold its value, meaning you can have a store of value that you can defend your home with or enjoy at the range.

A new Smith will lose about 15-20% of its value the day you sign for it.

That, and nobody starts conversations at the range or at picnics in Free America about how cool your Smith with the internal lock is. And don’t get me started if you lock the damn thing and lose the key.

Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire, I avoid Smiths with un-pinned barrels. Early on the press-fit barrel would sometimes end up downrange, somewhere.

flaya564

Jul 11, 2010
    Snow Hill
    Hey guys, looking to purchase a snub nosed .38 revolver for my lady for Christmas. I'm looking to stay around $400 or less.

I'm leaning towards the Taurus 85 or the S&W 637 or Bodyguard 38.

Suggestions? Comments? Other options you have experience with?

I got a Charter Arms 38 for my wife, it is pink and silver, real cheap on gunbroker.

acduarte21

Feb 17, 2013
    I'm partial to Smiths especially the 60 series. They can fire +p and I've never found a better out of the box trigger pull. The 60 is the foundation for the lady smith. I prefer to have the hammer.
    Ditto that. I have a small S&W model 60, it has a hammer and small sights. I put Pachmyr grips on it and it's quite comfy shooting +P ammo. Magnum ok too, but kicks a little more.

EDRN203

Aug 7, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Hey guys, looking to purchase a snub nosed .38 revolver for my lady for Christmas. I'm looking to stay around $400 or less.

I'm assuming you are asking because she currently has no experience. Based on that assumption I would recommend having her spend some time at the range to determine what she is comfortable with. Not to be harsh, but would you want her trying to determine what firearm is best for you, what grip best fits, the trigger pull weight that is comfortable (many have very heavy pulls, which may not be a good fit), the weight of the firearm itself, and other factors. I hope you aren't assuming that a revolver is the best choice based on your preference. While I started with the Taurus M85, I quickly moved to a 9mm, and almost immediately upgraded to several .45 pistols. I also invested in the Ruger SP101 and inherited two additional revolvers. Everyone will have an opinion, but if you want her to use the firearm, she should be shopping with you. While "shopping" and/or picking up firearms that I've purchased, I've had several gentlemen ask my advice on what they should get for their wife/girlfriend and my response has always been for them to get her the firearm that she wants, not what you assume she wants/needs. More than once, the salesperson heard my response and advised the customer to listen to my advice. I love spending time at he range with each firearm I own, depending on the "purpose" of the firearm, you need her input and hands-on before purchasing. It will likely prevent you from wasting money.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County

S&W makes/made a .38 Chief Special. Nice little "popper" that shoots .38 Specials.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

joesan

Jan 29, 2014
    Look at the Taurus 605, comes i9n blue or matte stainless
    Under $400
    Shoots 38 special, 38 special +P, or 357 Mag
    With the 38 special, the kick is light

Gutshot

Mar 25, 2017
    Taurus is super, so is Rossi. Ruger lcr is the lightest, but that means more recoil an $ , I have the .38 LCR and carry Hornady LITE , others make a softer recoil ammo.
    If you can rent or borrow any of these go for it. I have found Ruger to be superior to S n W for warranty.
    Also to reduce recoil u can get a .357 and have her carry the .38 LITE loads, but range ammo for rehearsal.
    Best wishes Tom e-m me if u want to chat
    "You have a right to remain silent, and be a victim"

Mar 23, 2016
    Carroll County
    Not reading thru 12 pages of replies on iPhone but if no one mentioned Charter Arms then check them out. IMO, good quality and reasonably priced with some models specifically geared to ladies e.g. The Pink Lady or The Lavender Lady. Also can get Laser Grips in their revolvers.

woody18

Feb 19, 2013
    Please look at a Ruger LCRX in person. Compare its double action trigger pull to the other guys. If you get one in 327 Federal Magnum you can also shoot other less powerful 32 H&R ammo in it. The best choice IMHO.

jdcane4570

Oct 1, 2016

I would recommend the Taurus 85 ultra light. My wife loves hers. For a snub it’s fairly accurate at 25. Very good at close quarters. I have a couple Taurus firearms. Haven’t had any problems.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I really like .32s . The.327 and earlier .32H&R should have taken off . Historically, and for good reason in pre-WWII the ballisticly similar.32-20 was 25-30% of production of M&P and comparable Colt DA revolvers.

But alas they didn't . If only because of limited availability, even I will recomend .38spl as default, unless they are serious gun crank looking for somthing unusual on purpose.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Please look at a Ruger LCRX in person. Compare its double action trigger pull to the other guys. If you get one in 327 Federal Magnum you can also shoot other less powerful 32 H&R ammo in it. The best choice IMHO.
    Agree, that's a neat option.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    I have shot and really like the ruger version but the smith & Wesson seemed fine as well. Pretty much what you can get a deal on. I know people who have had Taurus, but they are so hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom