• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I thought there was a thread on this, but I cannot find it with the search.

But I have need of some help around the house. Moving some furniture, picking up all the sticks in the yard, possibly installing some additional insulation in the attic.

Also, someone to install a ceiling fan.

Thanks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I looked into becoming a legit handyman on the side, but all the licensing, insurance, and tax issues made it about impossible in the Feestate. Between my two jobs and trying to keep up with my parents' house as well as my own, I really can't help you beyond a thread bump and some constructive critique.

I do mean this to be helpful, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you may want to specify a little more detail about the work. Good workers want to know what they are getting into before they commit.

What kind of furniture needs to be moved? Does there need to be more than one worker or a dolly? Stairs?

Picking up sticks, on the surface, sounds like a "neighborhood kid" kind of job, and it is easy to assume that the pay would be "neighborhood kid" level. Even that job may not be that simple. Is there a wooded area, chipper, or burn pile within easy walking distance that the sticks are to be dragged to, or does the worker need to hall them away with their own vehicle? Do they need to be cut up?

Is the insulation bats or blown in? Does it need to be stapled overhead? What kind of attic access is there?

Installing a ceiling fan could potentially go beyond just handyman work. If it is replacing an existing one, that's not too bad. A completely new installation means cutting drywall, running wire, installing a switch, running more wire...and then finding out that there is no more room on the breaker box. That's definitely getting into electician territory...with the costs, liability, and regulation that goes with it.

Then there is pay. If this is cash under the table, you may not want to publicly announce it (obviously). Is it barter system, or a check and 1099?

Finally, where in HarCo is it? A Joppatowne landscaper may not want to drive to Norrisville for an hour worth of picking up sticks...but who knows? :shrug:

Good luck! (if nothing else, I gave you another bump:D)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Aberdeen area.

Move out of a couple of desk like pieces, more in a couple of dressers. Two people probably.

Sticks, if I had neighborhood kids who would do this, I would hire them. Right now, I pay a friend of the lawn service guy to do this each year. It is NOT neighborhood kid prices.

Batts, layed in place. Pull down stair access.

Ceiling fan, to replace existing light fixture. So no drywall, but replace box with fan mount.

Payment, up to the person doing the work. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom