• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Partner

Nov 18, 2015
    The Hereford Zone
    After seeing this Sunday 1-22 I emailed him inquiring why he supported this, I have not received a reply. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in his district, 5, but he takes my donations.
    Please put pressure on him to answer for his support or remove his support from this bill.

justin.ready@senate.state.md.us

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For those that would like to see the proposed legislation without having to dig too far, I am attaching in pdf format. Also attaching the related Crim Pro 6-233.

I really hate the fact that somebody loses their 2nd Amendment Right on a Probation Before Judgment. Usually, a PBJ is offered when the incident isn't all that bad or the State's case isn't all that good. A PBJ isn't a finding of guilty.

Edit to add: Wow, just figured out that District 5 is in Carroll County and this guy lives in Westminster. Goes to reinforce my debate about moving to Carroll County. It just would not be far enough from central Maryland to make it worthwhile.

Attachments

• Senate Bill 0224.pdf
      81.8 KB · Views: 196
    • Crim Pro 6-233.pdf
      101.9 KB · Views: 184

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    After seeing this Sunday 1-22 I emailed him inquiring why he supported this, I have not received a reply. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in his district, 5, but he takes my donations.
    Please put pressure on him to answer for his support or remove his support from this bill.

justin.ready@senate.state.md.us

I just spoke to Justin Ready and He stated " Doesn't Support this bill"!
    " He doesn't know how his name got put on the bill"
    " He will have his name removed from being a co sponsor of the bill"

I am sure that we will hear more on Monday night!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    (2) “Convicted of a disqualifying crime” does not include a case in which a
    person received a probation before judgment: (i) for assault in the second degree, UNLESS THE CRIME WAS A
    2 DOMESTICALLY RELATED CRIME AS DEFINED IN § 6–233 OF THE CRIMINAL
    3 PROCEDURE ARTICLE;

or

Only thing new about the Law is the bold part. Not so sure I don't agree with it.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    (2) “Convicted of a disqualifying crime” does not include a case in which a
    person received a probation before judgment: (i) for assault in the second degree, UNLESS THE CRIME WAS A
    2 DOMESTICALLY RELATED CRIME AS DEFINED IN § 6–233 OF THE CRIMINAL
    3 PROCEDURE ARTICLE;

or

Only thing new about the Law is the bold part. Not so sure I don't agree with it.
    I would suggest a review of what constitutes 2nd degree assault in Md. People may be surprised at the minimum steps this would require to be a lifelong prohibitor for 2A concerns.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would suggest a review of what constitutes 2nd degree assault in Md. People may be surprised at the minimum steps this would require to be a lifelong prohibitor for 2A concerns.

Yep. 2nd degree assault does not even require a touching. A person can be assaulted just by words. If I yell at my spouse and she is scared, I have just assaulted her and possibly lost my 2nd Amendment Right. Of course, LEO's and the State's Attorney have charging discretion, but it would suck to be on the wrong end of that discretion.

§3–201.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (b) “Assault” means the crimes of assault, battery, and assault and battery, which retain their judicially determined meanings.

§3–203.
    (a) A person may not commit an assault.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person who violates subsection (a) of this section is guilty of the misdemeanor of assault in the second degree and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $2,500 or both.

Note that assault is a lot different than battery. Battery is actually touching/hitting somebody.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This bill in insanity.

As for Sen. Justin Ready, a self-avowed pro 2A legislator, it will be important to know how his name got on a bill like this. I look forward to Sen. Ready joining us at Lawyer's Mall tomorrow night to hear how this happened and this kind of thing can be prevented in the future.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    If you get arrested because your wife or husband calls the cops on you, you need a divorce. No hitting, no breaking crap in front of the kids.
    No Gun for you.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    A PBJ is a PBJ. Attaching consequences beyond the period of probation passes judgment and imposes a lifelong sentence, making "PBJ" a dramatic misnomer and trap for the unwary.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

I could see a potential for a lot of problems for this during something like a nasty divorce... unsubstantiated claims from one spouse against another... ripe for misuse if it is passed.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I could see a potential for a lot of problems for this during something like a nasty divorce... unsubstantiated claims from one spouse against another... ripe for misuse if it is passed.

Concur. I think we all know someone who had a spouse call the police and make up charges. Interestingly, there are no penalties enforced for making a false claim.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If you get arrested because your wife or husband calls the cops on you, you need a divorce. No hitting, no breaking crap in front of the kids.
    No Gun for you.

Unless you are the AACO Sheriff. If she says Ooops, I'm sorry you get your guns back right away.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    WATCHING!!! I don't trust those Carroll County politicians who are supposed to be representing us in Annapolis! Pay attention to Krebs too! It is safe for them to vote against something that they know will pass anyway. Pay very close attention to how little ( if anything) they do to actually support the 2A when they are in session. Their silence is deafening. Lou knew what was going on and that is why we supported Carmen Amedori!

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Spoke earlier with his office and he cannot remove his name from the Bill (SB224) until it goes to committee.

Since he is on the Judicial Proceedings committee, it will be removed then. She said there is no date yet for the hearing.

Justin Ready is the real deal, not a 2A glad-handing flunky.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Spoke earlier with his office and he cannot remove his name from the Bill (SB224) until it goes to committee.

Since he is on the Judicial Proceedings committee, it will be removed then. She said there is no date yet for the hearing.

Justin Ready is the real deal, not a 2A glad-handing flunky.

That's good to hear. I can't understand how his name could be attached to such a ridiculous bill and him not know about it and actually oppose it. If it is a clerical error it should be fixed immediately. If it's some slimy political BS, then he needs to publicly address it, and speak against it and explain the error at any hearing or public meeting where its addressed.

This is how we got Brochin (spit). That slimy weasel lied to our faces saying he wouldn't support SB281 (aka FSA2013), but in the end stabbed us in the back. He was able to somehow get reelected. This is the kind of two-faced politician that is ripe to be removed via DINO (in the Democrat only Primary election). Or via more traditional political means.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    That's good to hear. I can't understand how his name could be attached to such a ridiculous bill and him not know about it and actually oppose it. If it is a clerical error it should be fixed immediately. If it's some slimy political BS, then he needs to publicly address it, and speak against it and explain the error at any hearing or public meeting where its addressed.

I agree!:thumbsup:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We spoke with him today on the bricks and he admitted he thought it was an NRA bill and signed on by mistake. We made him do 50 pushups....;)

attachment.php

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    PBJ means that you are guilty of the charges filed against you. It's usually something that people agree to in a guilty plea to avoid punishment. "Judgement" is usually a jail sentence. Have no doubt that even if you are lucky enough to get PBJ on a 2nd degree assault, you are by law guilty of that crime.

I agree with an earlier post, it doesn't take much to be guilty of second degree assault. I had to testify for a friend who defended himself against a drunk idiot in downtown Baltimore. None of us had a single drink at that point in the night. Police didn't see the start of the fight but witnessed it end with my friend dropping the guy. In the end, the assault charges were dropped and he got PBJ and a fine for disorderly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom