• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmaurath

Jul 7, 2011
    Maryland
    Looking for a little advice....

I'm looking to get an 870. trying to decide between 870 express and 870 express super magnum. I usually shot 3" shells when hunting, but figured why not buy the magnum that can shoot 3 1/2" shells just in case.

Any thoughts? anybody have experience with 870 mag?

One other thing to consider, I already have a 870 barrel that is rifled for deer slugs that I used on an 870 I was borrowing. Would that fit on 870 magnum as well?

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Personally, I don't like recoil and therefore don't see a need to shoot magnum loads. 3" sabot slugs through a rifled barrel can easily reach out 125 yards accurately and with enough energy to take down a deer (probably longer). I shoot 2 3/4" light loads and still take deer down routinely at 80 yards. The answer is to buy the gun that you feel you can shoot accurately and safely from your hunting location. After all, deer don't care how fast your bullet misses them.

jmaurath

Jul 7, 2011
    Maryland
    I tend to agree. I was thinking 3.5" more for geese not deer. I plan to use the same receiver for both waterfowl and deer and just swap out barrels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    870 Magnum only takes 3 inch shells. For the 3.5, you need to look at the SUPER MAG.

My 15 year old daughter shoots an 870 Express Magnum with 3 inch turkey loads, slugs and buck shot.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    The 3 1/2 inch requires a longer pump than the 3 inch. It may take some time to get used to it so that you aren't short stroking it. This could be problematic in a home defense situation.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've got 870 Wingmaster (1982) that is chambered for 2-3/4" shells.
    I've also got an 870 Wingmaster (1989) that is chambered for 3" shells.
    I've bought an 870 SuperMag a few years ago, thinking that I'd set it up to be the ultimate shotgun.

Guess what??? I never took it out of the box. I kept this 26" SuperMag in the box, in the safe for 3 years.

I finally sold it to a member here.

I recently got another 870 SuperMag (let's just say that one of my kids owed me some money, and I got paid with the SuperMag.)

Personally, "I" really don't need a SuperMag. (No, it's not for sale.)
    My (several) 870s do what I need. 3" shells are plenty enough for me.

YMMV.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I've got 870 Wingmaster (1982) that is chambered for 2-3/4" shells.
    I've also got an 870 Wingmaster (1989) that is chambered for 3" shells.
    I've bought an 870 SuperMag a few years ago, thinking that I'd set it up to be the ultimate shotgun.

Guess what??? I never took it out of the box. I kept this 26" SuperMag in the box, in the safe for 3 years.

I finally sold it to a member here.

I recently got another 870 SuperMag (let's just say that one of my kids owed me some money, and I got paid with the SuperMag.)

Personally, "I" really don't need a SuperMag. (No, it's not for sale.)
    My (several) 870s do what I need. 3" shells are plenty enough for me.

YMMV.

I have a 1970 870 Wingmaster with a fixed choke.
    My daughter has a 2005 870 Express Magnum with screw in chokes.

I have owned two others, a 1987 Express and a 2001 Express.

The only 3.5 inch shotgun I have ever used was a Mossberg 835 that belonged to a member here. It was at Delta a number of years ago and, while the gun was decent, 3.5 was no great shakes. I remember thinking that I would rather have a 10 gauge.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Read up on 3.5" vs 3". After reading I decided to stick with 3" shells for geese.

I use my benelli M2 (3") more often than my SBE II (3.5") for a few ounces of weight reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmaurath

Jul 7, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for the good points all around. I think I'll just stick with the 3" shells. I rarely shoot at geese long range so I don't think k the 3.5" shells are in my future.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The regular 870 slug barrel will fit the 870 super magnum but you can only shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom