• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • db7555

Nov 3, 2015
    I just finished building an AR-15 and it works well, but unfortunately I cannot take it hunting many places. In addition, I just want a rifle with a higher caliber. So now, I'm considering buying/building another rifle.

1. Anybody have experience with or opinions about the AR-10 platform?

2. I am aware that a semi-automatic like the AR-10 could be slightly less accurate than a bolt action. Any ideas how much difference this would make?

3. Are there any other modular rifles like the AR platform that are commonly built?

4. There are many brands of AR-10s, and none of them are mil-spec. Any favorite brands for a low budget? I built my AR-15 with Palmetto State Armory.

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    Have you considered just getting another upper for your ar? 6.8 or 300 BO should do pretty well in MD. If it's just for hunting by the time you build/buy a basic ar10 you probably will have spent enough for a nice bolt gun. As far as modular rifles go, check out the new Ruger precision rifle. It's supposed to be modular and extremely accurate. Good luck

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I just finished building an AR-15 and it works well, but unfortunately I cannot take it hunting many places. In addition, I just want a rifle with a higher caliber. So now, I'm considering buying/building another rifle.

1. Anybody have experience with or opinions about the AR-10 platform?

2. I am aware that a semi-automatic like the AR-10 could be slightly less accurate than a bolt action. Any ideas how much difference this would make?

3. Are there any other modular rifles like the AR platform that are commonly built?

4. There are many brands of AR-10s, and none of them are mil-spec. Any favorite brands for a low budget? I built my AR-15 with Palmetto State Armory.

Why can't you take it hunting in many of the places you go?

1. I have experience with the AR-10 world and I like the AR-10 for what it can do, but I also realize the limitations of what it can do.

2. As long as you are doing your part, it should be no more than 1/4-1/2" at 100 yards. Bear in mind that is using a basic rifle, with no upgrades of any kind like a floated barrel.

3. The AR is the most modular rifle out there that I know of.

4. Make sure you buy one that is based on the DPMS pattern, because of all the aftermarket accessories for it, that are easy to find.

Do you want this rifle for hunting or do you want it for precision long range shooting?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What are you going to hunt and where?

For most places in Maryland, a shotgun is needed.

If you can hunt with a rifle, there are plenty of good enough guns and plenty of amazing guns to choose from. Give us some more details.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Details and solid reasons are not important in a "What Is The Best Rifle For Me?" thread.

Toss any and all ideas out there and see which ones stick.

And the OP never returning is a requirement.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Details and solid reasons are not important in a "What Is The Best Rifle For Me?" thread.

Hahahhaha nailed it.

In that case, my answer is a Hawken

Attachments

• imgjeremiah%20johnson6.jpg
      imgjeremiah%20johnson6.jpg
      25.7 KB · Views: 281

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You could build another upper for your current ar15 in 300 blk or in 6.8spc as mentioned above or you can buy/build an ar10. If you buy one with hunting in mind take a look at the dpms gen 2s, they are lighter than your standard ar10, by a good bit.

I have a 24" bull barrel ar10, but it's not something I want to lug around up a mountain.

Just something to keep in mind.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    For hunting, 300 BKK or 6.5 Grendel should do everything you need.

If you really want 7.62x51 (and there is no reason not to) you will find a properly built to be an MOA shooter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm a big fan of the 6.8SPC for hunting and would look at a new upper in that caliber.

If I were going the AR 10 route (and I really want to) I would also look at the Remington/DPMS rifles. Remington claims that the DPMS G2 Remington R25 and are sub MOA guns. I can tell you first hand they are awesome to shoot, we were plinking steel plates at 300 yards with no issues :thumbsup:

If I didn't already have a designated 6.8 I'd really consider the R25 for a designated hunting rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P39S4MBY_M

[YT]1P39S4MBY_M[/YT]

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    AR10's -- rifles and lowers are CASH AND CARRY!

That should be enough right there, but .308 is a wonderful caliber for for everything hunting in North America.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

With responses like this, they don't. Obviously someone new to the idea.

Ed Shell gave input on this very issue in a thread couple years back. The shortened version I got from the readings in that thread were the AR 10 Class guns are a bear to carry while out in the hunting field. IIRC, it is because the balance point underneath the rifle is not in a good carry location, amoung other reasons. The subject of sling carry came up, of course, but I do not recall the particulars on that part of the thread. Running a search would help.

I have a DPMS LR-308 Classic, bought as a 3 Gun gamer. It is hefty in the hand and I understand Ed's input. The Remington links above give some hope for the girth and weight issues which seem to discourage this pattern rifle from being used more in the hunting fields.

The idea of a centerfire upper for the AR lower is a good one. And for the cost of that you could buy a decent bolt gun. What does the OP really want in a hunting rifle?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Ed Shell gave input on this very issue in a thread couple years back. The shortened version I got from the readings in that thread were the AR 10 Class guns are a bear to carry while out in the hunting field. IIRC, it is because the balance point underneath the rifle is not in a good carry location, amoung other reasons. The subject of sling carry came up, of course, but I do not recall the particulars on that part of the thread. Running a search would help.

I have a DPMS LR-308 Classic, bought as a 3 Gun gamer. It is hefty in the hand and I understand Ed's input. The Remington links above give some hope for the girth and weight issues which seem to discourage this pattern rifle from being used more in the hunting fields.

The idea of a centerfire upper for the AR lower is a good one. And for the cost of that you could buy a decent bolt gun. What does the OP really want in a hunting rifle?
    I used to carry a LAR-8 until I finished my 300BLK. I've carried nothing but the 300BLK so far this year. That should say something. :D

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Obviously you missed the humor connected with the post.

I'll leave a smiley face next time.

OP, No offense intended.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Not sure what you intend to hunt or how far you will be shooting but I would try and get it done with an AR15 if I could.

I don't hunt with my 300 blk but lots of folks do. I have done a bit of hog hunting with my 458 socom and like the 6.5 Grendel, it will likely be the next one I do.

My AR 10 is accurate enough but it's a big hunk of aluminum vs the 15's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom