• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was doing some research on the AR-180B, and I noticed that it has significant internal parts incompatibilities from the AR-180 (namely, the FCG). Given the MSP's recent rulings, it seems like the AR-180B shouldn't be banned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Kinda want one, but not sure if any IPs would go to bat on it.

Feb 28, 2013
    I don't think these are made anymore.

But have you talked to Engage? They might be willing to submit it for examination.

May 13, 2005
    Decent rifle, nice and lightweight. I put a few thousand rounds through one and it never gave me any issues. I did hear some rumors of some cracking in the plastic, but never tracked it down. Makes sense it wouldn't be on the banned list..... which means it probably is :sad20::lol2::sad20:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If a Chinese copy of the M1A is considered OK, then the AR-180B should be.

They aren't listed on the Armalite site anymore. They looked interesting, I was considering one a few years ago but I already had a poly-framed AR-like piston rifle in the Kel-Tec, so never jumped. I guess they never sold well.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    We had one of these in the shop last year and couldn't get rid of it. We finally put it up on gunbroker and one of the guys from Nodak Spud bought it. I would say it's ok, since it is not a copy of the AR-180, but Armalite hasn't made them since 2003 I believe. They do turn up on the used market though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I'd be theoretically getting one off GB or ARFCOM or the like. Just wanted to run the hypothetical past the group to see if there was any obvious problem I was missing.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    We had one of these in the shop last year and couldn't get rid of it. We finally put it up on gunbroker and one of the guys from Nodak Spud bought it. I would say it's ok, since it is not a copy of the AR-180, but Armalite hasn't made them since 2003 I believe. They do turn up on the used market though.

Interesting, I wonder if they used yours for design. I was on the Nodak Spud website and noticed they now make a AR-180 style lower receiver called the NDS-18S. They are CNC made from billet aluminum, take AR15 mags, mix of AR and AR180B lower parts, faux spot welds to mimic the look of the original stamped receiver and can use Costa Mesa, Howa, Sterling or AR-180B uppers.

I wanted a AR-180 but didn't get a chance to grab one. Would these NDS-18S receivers be MD legal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom