• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    The /1\Mosin is called out as an East German quality marking in Lapin's "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" book. His text states that they were refurbished at the Ernst Thaelmann works in Suhl and given the mark there, but never actually produced in Germany. The start of the flow of small arms from Russia to East Germany to Russia started almost 100 years ago, so this isn't an outrageous theory.

Is Lapin's published book, that's been through many revisions, a reliable source of information on this marking?

I totally get the "this guy on the internet said..." source as being impossible to believe. But this is a respected book right? I agree with always questioning but I wonder if Lapin reads the internet and questions the mark now too?

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    thing is the dudes in the forum have not wrote a book about it..... idk but IMO from my experience being a moderator on an automotive forum. I have listen and read all sorts of laughable theory. I work in the automotive industry as well and nothing makes me start laughing harder then the client saying "I was on blah-blah forum and..." Everyone that posts in a forum is an expert if you didn't know. I think maybe since they are experts they should write us a book as well, a Mosin thesaurus of the sort....

So to chalk it up, maybe its an East German Mark, maybe its a specific refurb mark... bottom line its not as common as many others and therefore commands additional monies just like MO, five lines, no names, polish etc. Maybe one day some prestigious expert will shed the light on the matter until then we can only believe in our uncertainties amassed from the Mosin mobs.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    This may have already been posted, but I was looking at AIM's site and they offer a "DDR" stamped 91/30 for $179.99 (currently not in stock). This compares to $129.99 for a run of the mill 91/30.

Those haven't been in stock for more than a year. Without a doubt, DDR used to bring a premium. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    If it is not true, I truly hope it is clearly resolved once and for all, because i do honestly care about the history of the /1\ rifles.

But I've read the threads, the referenced threads, and the referenced referenced threads. There are many doubts that are interesting to read, but no one has proved to me the story in the reference book that you'll find at every gun show is wrong, or given an alternate story that is properly laid out and sourced. It's just doubts and theories at this point.

You can devalue your rifles all you like, but the marking is explained in print if you'd like to value it at a premium. I understand even books are wrong, but we are down to whether you believe an internet forum over a reference book. I know which one won't sound crazy when explaining it to someone in real life.

So to conclude, really nice M44 DDR Alphabrew. :D

Attachments

• MNs.jpg
      MNs.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 123

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I paid $169.00 for one a year or so ago at South Carroll Sporting Goods
    ( thanks to the heads up by Yellowsled) and I believe.

I do agree though that just because it is published in a book does not make it true. I have, in fact, debunked a "known fact" in a book that was published here in MD that I had documented evidence that their account of something was in fact wrong. Not saying this is, but I have personal experience with this type of thing. It is possible without written or photographic evidence.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    The /1\Mosin is called out as an East German quality marking in Lapin's "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" book. His text states that they were refurbished at the Ernst Thaelmann works in Suhl and given the mark there, but never actually produced in Germany. The start of the flow of small arms from Russia to East Germany to Russia started almost 100 years ago, so this isn't an outrageous theory.

Is Lapin's published book, that's been through many revisions, a reliable source of information on this marking?

I totally get the "this guy on the internet said..." source as being impossible to believe. But this is a respected book right? I agree with always questioning but I wonder if Lapin reads the internet and questions the mark now too?

I wonder why all of the Makarovs produced there don't have the /1\ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom