• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This sounds very promising. What are you thinking cost wise, $10-$20? :shrug:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I dont have a schedule yet. just gauging interest, and seeing what time works for people. I'll start a new sign up thread when I have some dates.

the class would be 4-5 hours, a couple hours of theory and safety, and a couple hours of hands on. i'd like for participants to be able to walk out the door with a few rounds they loaded themselves (at published starting loads). maybe get a few pizzas at the end while people are taking turns with the presses

Pending location and dates, I'd be in to help teach.

Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    I would definitely be interested. With the lack of a solid schedule at work I would not be able to lock down a specific day or time of the week without advanced notice. I will have to stay on top of this one.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    ok. it sounds like I can fill a few classes. im going to work on getting a schedule and i'll start a new thread for sign ups in a few days.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I guess this idea is dead. Nobody did anything. :tdown:

thread isnt dead.
    idea isnt dead.
    i've been doing a lot actually.
    my friend that will be helping with the class just spent a small fortune on equiptment to use for teaching the class.
    hopefully i can announce some dates really soon.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    Teaching how to reload is a detailed and time-consuming process. I am an NRA Instructor on reloading metallic cartridges and shot-shell. I have taught classes on metallic reloading and I have spent about 10 hours to complete each class. The class itself wasn't that long, but the time to set up the equipment, include breaks, and do one-on-one with hands-on teaching each student how to reload both pistol and rifle ammo, and then pack the equipment up, etc. takes time. My class had 6 students, which is my maximum. Each student did a hands-on, step-by-step process of reloading. They even shot their reloads! The time spend on each student completing a reloaded round was more than 3 additional hours to the actual structured class. I believe that you should actually reload rounds to know how to do it, as opposed to just having the process shown through pictures and slides. Besides, you have to have all of the equipment, shell casings, bullets, primers, and powders to reload. The actual cost of the class materials is not high compared to the availability of the components, especially smokeless powder, bullets, or primers. You can't just order a few pieces or ounces of powder, but have to get them by the hundred, thousand, or pound.
    Teaching someone to reload is great, but I am still learning from others about reloading even though I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds in pistol and rifle.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Teaching how to reload is a detailed and time-consuming process. I am an NRA Instructor on reloading metallic cartridges and shot-shell. I have taught classes on metallic reloading and I have spent about 10 hours to complete each class. The class itself wasn't that long, but the time to set up the equipment, include breaks, and do one-on-one with hands-on teaching each student how to reload both pistol and rifle ammo, and then pack the equipment up, etc. takes time. My class had 6 students, which is my maximum. Each student did a hands-on, step-by-step process of reloading. They even shot their reloads! The time spend on each student completing a reloaded round was more than 3 additional hours to the actual structured class. I believe that you should actually reload rounds to know how to do it, as opposed to just having the process shown through pictures and slides. Besides, you have to have all of the equipment, shell casings, bullets, primers, and powders to reload. The actual cost of the class materials is not high compared to the availability of the components, especially smokeless powder, bullets, or primers. You can't just order a few pieces or ounces of powder, but have to get them by the hundred, thousand, or pound.
    Teaching someone to reload is great, but I am still learning from others about reloading even though I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds in pistol and rifle.

thanks for the advice. I fancy myself a pretty decent instructor, especially when it comes to tools and equiptment. i have 17 years experience as a contractor and i have trained countless people on safety and methods of using dangerous tools. I will be limiting the class size to 8 students maxn but that can be adjusted down if it needs to be. my "classroom" is now setup with a conferance table, white board, and presses. I literally have every piece of reloading equiptment made by lee and frankford arsenal at my disposal, and 4 students can be on presses at once.

im currently checking on liability insurance issues for students loading live rounds vs dummy rounds with inert powder and spent primers. im not NRA endorsed so I dont have their insurance to cover me, i may have students sign a waiver. I have new copies of the lyman and lee manuals available for students to purchase, and most of the class fee, about $10, is to cover components and a pizza lunch break while students take turns.

I'm going to give hands on instruction on loading .223 with once fired military surplus brass, because its common, and it has more steps than straight wall handgun, both in prep and loading. if you can load that, you can load almost anything. the course with cover theory, safety, data, tools and equipment, prep, set up, and ladder loads. each step will have a hands on demonstration, because thats how I learn best, and that is how I teach.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sounds great. If you do any evening classes I'm in. Thanks. Hopefully I can bring my own components if it helps.

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    I am in
    223 was going to be my next round to reload
    I have done 9mm and 40SW
    A little education couldn't hurt

I was an instructor for CCBC for 10yrs - Basic Computer, Advanced Computer and Home Networking best way to teach - Hands On :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom