Mosin Nagant pierced primer that dangerous?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shiner500

Jul 8, 2011
    Maryland
    From what I understand mosin nagants don't have any kind of gas porting to redirect gas if you pierce a primer.Is it that dangerous if you pierce a primer in a mosin nagant?Can you go blind,have it explode the gun,burn yourself or anything bad like that?would regular eye glasses be enough protection incase you pierce a primer?

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Primers

I bought a lot of the 50'a heavy ball Bulgarian ammo a while back.
    Its accurate and functions well but I do get pierced primers.
    I have had dozens and dozens of pierced primers in my M39.
    My bolt face is slightly scared and my firing pin tip is not pretty.
    It is still rounded just a little rough.

In Reality; Its just a slight puff of smoke that some people don't even notice.

Wear Eye protection. I use regular prescription plastic lenses.

JMHO

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Wear good eye protection, that's all you can do. The gun will certainly not explode from a pierced primer. The mosin action and receiver are incredibly strong.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    set the firing pin back in the bolt one turn if you are getting pooped primers on mosin ammo. easy fix. I personally have not had a pierced primer before. fwiw

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    In addition to the other good advice here, inspect the firing pin tip to be sure that it's not worn or fractured so that it's not rounded.

For the most part, 7.62x54R surplus rounds have relatively hard primers, but the idea of wearing eye and hearing protection when firing Mosins is good advice. Yeah, I know that shooting glasses can be a PIA, but enough residue from those rounds blows out the barrel of a Mosin under even normal conditions that crap can blow back into your eyes.

If you've ever made a video of a Mosin firing in late evening hours (esp. an M44 or M53), and played it back in slow motion, you'll see all sorts of sparks taking strange paths out of the muzzle.

And if you've ever wondered how tough these rifles are .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiXFyIbOZw

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    In addition to the other good advice here, inspect the firing pin tip to be sure that it's not worn or fractured so that it's not rounded.

For the most part, 7.62x54R surplus rounds have relatively hard primers, but the idea of wearing eye and hearing protection when firing Mosins is good advice. Yeah, I know that shooting glasses can be a PIA, but enough residue from those rounds blows out the barrel of a Mosin under even normal conditions that crap can blow back into your eyes.

If you've ever made a video of a Mosin firing in late evening hours (esp. an M44 or M53), and played it back in slow motion, you'll see all sorts of sparks taking strange paths out of the muzzle.

And if you've ever wondered how tough these rifles are .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiXFyIbOZw

I think it's part 2 of the torture test where they try to blow the rifle up. They pack a casing with dirt and random powder that they swept up at the range and fire it. It ruins the bolt, but the receiver and barrel hold strong. It's awesome.

BigBird301

Jun 17, 2013
    Hampstead, MD
    From what I understand mosin nagants don't have any kind of gas porting to redirect gas if you pierce a primer.Is it that dangerous if you pierce a primer in a mosin nagant?Can you go blind,have it explode the gun,burn yourself or anything bad like that?would regular eye glasses be enough protection incase you pierce a primer?

I must have had one and didn't know it...when I cleaned it after a range session, the bolt face was black. First time i noticed that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom