• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Sucks when you really don't own your own property. Next move for me is Tennessee way out into the boonies.

I lived in TN for five yeas. It's nice once you get away from Nashville.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I live in Mo Co and I cut the grass on the county's median strip so that I don't have a mess in front of my house [it is a separate median strip down the middle of a cul de sac] and I would like to plant bushes in it, but the county contractor's recycling trucks and the county snow plows would run them over. I may do it any way, but given how weird this place is I better call Miss Utility first . . .

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    In Takoma Park, I have to pay the arborist 35 bucks to come around and tell me I can get my scrub tree cut down, on my own property. I have to go and beg the Historical Preservation people to put up a fence in my front yard; if I want a gate at the top of my porch stairs, I need their approval. I've been there 20 years longer than any of my neighbors, and this stuff all came in with them. I'm ready to leave.

I would say F it. Moco has fees and crap for everything. Technically, replacing your microwave oven is subject to a fee.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In Carroll County, we cut our own D**ned trees down and use them for firewood, replant new ones too. In my neighborhood, we even plow and maintain our own street. Have to pay for trash service too. Still have to pay the tax bill!

Many of us even do our own dump runs. God, I love living in Carroll County. It makes MD tolerable for now.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    There's a reason I no longer live in Montg'y. And yes that was the nickname before MoCo and it is pronounced monkey because they're all a bunch of monkey diddling buffoons.

tenex

Oct 23, 2008
    My MoCo house had two nasty honey locust trees in the right of way. In an impulsive mood I stumped them and started worrying. A couple of months later a MoCoGov pick-up stops and a guy with a clip board gets out and measures some stuff and takes a bunch of notes. So now I'm thinking I better find my lawyers business card. Another month goes by and a stump grinding crew shows up. They even ground an extra-hearty holly that would not die.
    Moral of the story? Good thing come to those who live in fear.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Many of us even do our own dump runs. God, I love living in Carroll County. It makes MD tolerable for now.

People in MoCo have to pay their own trash bill too. In the southern portion of Moco, the most densely populated, you pay for trash via your prop tax. In the other areas, you have to pay the trash company directly, or simply opt out.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    When I had my Maple tree stump removed by the Co, they wanted to plant a new one. I asked them not to and they agreed to my wishes. Now I could park my boat in front of my house on the grass. This freed valuable parking spaces on the street. I threw a tarp over it, using a pipe to support it. Next thing that happened was that I was given a warning citation for erecting a structure on "public space". Now in MoCo, you can not even keep your own boat or motorcycle trailer in front of your own house. I keep them in Fredneck. (1/2 the cost of storage in MoCo)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    They rent stump grinders at Home Depot. If it is an eyesore and is pissing you off to live with it, I would just grind it myself and be done with it. I cannot believe the tree police are going to hassle you over a stump.

If you do get hassled, tell them PEPCO did it - the crews they hired to work in my neighborhood were a bunch of animals - they tore SH** up in ways that are hard to contemplate. Like cutting all the branches off on one side of the tree, so if the wind blows, 100% of the weight is on one side. Those poor things are all doomed now, but at least they are likely to fall away from the power lines and onto things that don't matter, like cars, houses and the people who live here. Fortunately, my house escaped, my trees are nowhere near their lines, but there are a bunch of trees in my neighborhood that now should be removed thanks to their expert arbor services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom