• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Beautiful gun if the price is right. You're not going to feed it a steady diet of 357 but she'll serve you well with 38 +P.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    i have an opportunity to purchase a S&W model 19-4 .357 at a good deal. i was wondering what u guys thought.

In a lot of people's opinion, it's the perfect revolver. 2-1/2" or 4" for CCW, 6" or more for hunting/target shooting/home defense. For CCW the only thing better than a S&W 19 is a Glock 19. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    iv herd that elsewhere may be a stupid noob question but y?

It's fairly lightweight for a lot of full power .357's. It's meant to shoot (practice with) a lot of .38's and carry (not shoot too often) .357's. It's why S&W eventually came out with the L-frame (586 / 686).

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    thanks for the insight. The guy has a sholder holster and belt holster n 200 rds of .357 for $350.....u guys think its a good deal. Oh its the Nickel plated 2 1/2"

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    thanks for the insight. The guy has a sholder holster and belt holster n 200 rds of .357 for $350.....u guys think its a good deal. Oh its the Nickel plated 2 1/2"

It sounds like a good deal, but it will depend on the condition of the gun, the condition of the nickel finish, and (to a collector at least) whether or not the finish is original. If you can look the gun over before buying, this thread may be a big help: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    iv herd that elsewhere may be a stupid noob question but y?

I think it was the late Bill Jordan who convinced S&W to adapt their lighter K frame revolvers for the .357 round for police use. The N frame S&W guns were just too heavy for everyday use.

HomerSimpson nailed the technical reasons.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Dad had a model 19 that was well worn - I wish I had gotten it but at least it's still in the family - my sister owns it now.

I've got nothing to add here other than this gun was a really nice, accurate shooter and if I had a deal to pick one up with accessories for that price, I'd do it as long as the gun checked out and didn't look too worn. As for wear, Dad's model 19 can attest to what it will take and how much use it can handle. Dad reloaded so it didn't get a lot of heavier .357 loads, but it did get plenty of lighter .357 and lots of .38 specials over the years.

It sounds like it might be a pretty nice gun and the short length would make it ideal for CC if Maryland should ever come up to speed with the times and become shall issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom