• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    I thought they manufactured them all the way through and then did some post war production after the war.... :shrug:

probably post war, I am just referring to German war production they stopped in '42

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Lugers are sexy but they really are not reliable combat pistols.This is why the Germans replaced it with the P38 you can tell by just looking at it it's more rugged and built to withstand combat conditions.The German Luger was very susceptible to jamming due to the complexity of the action and dirt and grime ,had to be cleaned well and often to operate properly.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Lugers are sexy but they really are not reliable combat pistols.This is why the Germans replaced it with the P38 you can tell by just looking at it it's more rugged and built to withstand combat conditions.The German Luger was very susceptible to jamming due to the complexity of the action and dirt and grime ,had to be cleaned well and often to operate properly.

They are beautifully built machines .

I do have a 1942 Walther P38 with original holster I got it from the same guy I got the Luger from . ILL get some pictures of that in a bit .

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Jamming and single action compared to the first successful mass produced double action. Everything I have read has stated the Luger had a VERY strong action though.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    probably post war, I am just referring to German war production they stopped in '42

They did keep some manufacturing going throughout the war, mostly with spare parts manufactured before the factories got bombed. They weren't very good, and with the tolerances, thus the concerns over finding ones with matching serial numbers.

That is one gorgeous DWM! Congrats on having such a beautiful example.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Well next time it goes to Delmarva with me Ill let ya know . You can run some through it .

If that offer manages to extend itself to the rest of the grubby fingered membership, I know at least one guy who will drop whatever he's doing to have a chance to shoot a piece of history. :innocent0 ;)

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    Not to highjack his thread but I have a 1937 Mauser Luger I have decided to part with. If any of you Luger hunters out there are interested PM me. Please only SERIOUS OFFERS. WANT AN UNFIRED SKS OR TWO AND CASH.

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    Unless it was unfired from the beginning I don't think it will hurt either, that's half the fun of having a piece of history. I have owned mine for three years and shot it about five times. Still perfect.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That is nice, I still havent gotten to fill the paperwork out on my luger (or webley for that matter!)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The most natural pointing pistol I've ever handled. It just shoots exactly where you point it. My 1914 Erfurt is very finicky about ammo but if you feed it what it likes it's very reliable.
    Got to shoot an old vet's bring back Navy Luger years ago at the AGC and it was like a dream. There is a reason why guns like Lugers are popular and it's not just the history and craftsmanship. They really are a treat to pull trigger on. If you've never shot one you've missed out on one of life's great pleasures.
    Guess if I stopped buying stuff for a while I could save up the $2-3K necessary to acquire one.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    That's a really beautiful example you have, OP.

IMO, the worksmanship is the same on early (WW1) and late (WW2) models, but the WW1 models were better finished. I've seen WW2 era Mauser P.08's with the machining marks on the frame where the WW1 era guns don't seem to have this. Of course my 1930's Broomhandle has the machining marks present too, so maybe it was a Mauser thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom