• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    I have a Springfield stock GI 1911 and Sig P229 and have been long shooting about an inch or two left. I shoot dead on with my glock and Xd so I have come to the conclusion that I need to drift the rear sights on the other two. Can I drift the sights on the stock GI and I know I can on the Sig as the sights have been swapped to NS's. What kind of tool is necessary to do this and where are they available. Looks to me the 1911 GI sights can't be adjusted, please someone shine some light on this to get me on target.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i've always drifted pistol sights with a small punch and something "LIGHT" you dont wanna move it very far and you want to try it a few times after you move it.

john

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Measure the sight (side to side in the slide) as accurately as you can. Lightly clamp it into a vise, with padding to prevent damage to the finish. Tap lightly using a small hammer and drift punch. Keep measuring and document how much you have moved the sight. Shoot and adjust as required.

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    I would like to buy something that I can take into the field to adjust. What is the most affordable drifting tool and can those 1911 sights be drifted? Thanks guys.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/124359/b-square-rear-sight-adjustment-tool-for-1911

This is the tool I use. It fits in the slide rails then you just turn the screw in to push the sight. You could probably get by with a nylon punch, but I like being able to move the sight very slowly and have a little more control. It can still mar your sight, so you might want to put a piece of leather or something between the end of the screw and the sight.

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    Seems like this thing is not very popular in reviews. Yeah been thinking about two 2x4s cut to length of slides in my vise but??? I have several punch sets but none with nylon or plastic type tip buffer. I'm afraid of that one bad slip n scratch. Might use nylon taps or something. I really need to find out how to adjust these SA 1911 GI sights, If I can??

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884401/maryland-gun-works-rear-sight-tool-glock

had a guy use something like this to install rear sights on my glock. one part clamps to the slide, then another moves sight left and right. not sure what else it would work on but think if you look around you could find something like this for your specific guns.

a lot more expensive than a punch but prob more accurate and less potential damage.

sure a dealer/smith would do this for you for a modest fee, less than buying the tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom