• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Looks like southernohiogun.com website is gone. A call to their 800 number says they shutdown on December 4.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    A damn shame. I made a number of purchases from them and found them reasonable and easy to work with. Their descriptions pertaining to condition were accurate unlike some of the other dealers (one in particular comes to mind).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That’s a real shame. I feel like an idiot for not buying a tin of 7.62 Nagant ammo they had for $140 a couple months ago.

Yeah I missed a couple of deals they had not long ago. They had Tok ammo for cheap a few months ago. I forget exact price, but I want to say it was 16.99 for 72 rounds. I picked up 5 boxes. I should have picked up a case (which would have saved an extra few bucks).

Also I missed by probably a couple of hours the IMI .30 carbine ammo they had. $12.99 a box. I debated for too long and they were out. Relisted a few days later, but they only had 4 boxes. Which I bought.

I was going to also order a case of it. But too slow on my part. I did get a couple of P64s from them in mint condition for dirt cheap and a barreled SKS receiver in great shape for stinking cheap.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Too bad. I wonder if it was lack of new surplus or what.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Too bad. I wonder if it was lack of new surplus or what.

The whole surplus market is drying up, Some because of lack of supply some because a lot of what's available out there can't be brought in .

Maybe we should become Cartel's instead of collectors then the Government would help us

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know we've discusses this before, but it does bring back the point that I wonder how much longer C&R focused busineeses are viable. The supply is simply drying up and barring new items being allowed or import bans lifted that isn't going to change.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I know we've discusses this before, but it does bring back the point that I wonder how much longer C&R focused busineeses are viable. The supply is simply drying up and barring new items being allowed or import bans lifted that isn't going to change.

Maybe Trump and Hogan will fix this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I think it’ll just have to shift. There are tens of millions of C&R firearms out there. I just think it is going to shift more to resellers. Maybe a bit like an eBay or C&R Firearms sort of thing. Buying up ones and twos and small collections like Empire Firearms does. Just possibly with more purchasing power and agents.

I could be wrong. That said, unless laws change dramatically I think we will continue seeing surplus and C&R. A bunch of 92S came in not long ago. Not many more years and they are C&R and the same guys who are C&R dealers are surplus non-C&R dealers to. Israel seems to be getting rid of Jerichos. So on and so forth. I think less C&R for sure, but I think dealers will simply shift how they do things.

For the worth, the license still works fine, just means more gun show dealing, Gunbroker, etc. brownells and a few others offer decent discounts. I’ve certainly saved an easy $100+ in just 6 months of having a C&R license in discounts alone.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    RIP. Used to enjoy their newspaper like monthly catalog. Saved one or two. Last thing i bought from SOG was an Albanian SKS. Bought a number of mosin 38, 44. M1 carbines ( blue sky imports). Always fun and at reasonable prices. Its business model is done. Hi quanity, med quality surplus arms. No loner available like that probably at any price.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sorry to hear. Definite change in the past year or two.
    Exercised my C&R for the first time with them.
    It was almost like every time I got something, they were gone a few months later.
    CZ82, Nagant Revolver, Walther P1, and Steyr 95 and a Swiss Bayo

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sorry to hear. Definite change in the past year or two.
    Exercised my C&R for the first time with them.
    It was almost like every time I got something, they were gone a few months later.
    CZ82, Nagant Revolver, Walther P1, and Steyr 95 and a Swiss Bayo

Those Steyr 95s. I am still a little bitter. Those were awesome prices and it was litterally like the 2 or 3 days I didn’t check SOG that they had them and then were sold out. I guess the upside is if I had gotten one my wife would have been that much more pissed at how many guns were in my safe when she finally audited it.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Yeah, they sort of petered out over a couple of years. Last time I checked they only had a few pistol grips or something like that. They didn't drag it out as long as Samco did. Samco didn't update their website for years.
    I got quite few things from SOG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom