• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    I'm getting some parts together for my .300 Blackout build. What do you guys recommend for a barrel and gas block? I will probably use my Spikes snowflake lower for this build with either a CMMG or Spikes LPK. I will be getting a stripped spikes upper for it. I'm also looking for hand guard and muzzle break suggestions. Thanks in advance.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would use an SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block. Can't answer the barrel question. I went with Noveske and it has been a flawless performer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What kind of build are you thinking? Rifle, pistol(yes!), carbine, SBR? Suppressed? What's the gun to be used for? HD, range toy, hunting?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Oh, and take a look at the Geissele LPK. Nicest I've worked with.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    It will be a 16" barrel. I probably won't build this one for suppressed. I will do another build for suppressed since I don't have a silencer for .300 blackout yet. Not even sure what silencer I would want plus not sure if I want to use my trust for one or just go the individual route.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Few years ago, used Noveske barrels for both of my 300BO's. Aside from having the feed ramps slightly opened up to guarantee them big ol' subs fed reliably, they were as I received them - even used the supplied gas blocks. Both shot very well, 16" was genuinely MOA or better. 12.5" was also no slouch as well. Sold both of them off though. Firearms ADHD is a cruel mistress.

No idea if the quality of Noveske 300BO barrels has stayed the same, or dropped off - but a few years ago, they were solid performers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Few years ago, used Noveske barrels for both of my 300BO's. Aside from having the feed ramps slightly opened up to guarantee them big ol' subs fed reliably, they were as I received them - even used the supplied gas blocks. Both shot very well, 16" was genuinely MOA or better. 12.5" was also no slouch as well. Sold both of them off though. Firearms ADHD is a cruel mistress.

No idea if the quality of Noveske 300BO barrels has stayed the same, or dropped off - but a few years ago, they were solid performers.

I've got a Rainier 10.5 Ultramatch on my SBR. Shoots jagged wholes @ 100 yds using my supers. It did require opening up the gas port to cycle subs reliably though. They now have the Ultramatch Mod2 now. Maybe they took care of that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've got a Rainier 10.5 Ultramatch on my SBR. Shoots jagged wholes @ 100 yds using my supers. It did require opening up the gas port to cycle subs reliably though. They now have the Ultramatch Mod2 now. Maybe they took care of that.

Armed Ferret had nothing bad to say about the tubes he got from Rainier, so that's a positive on it's own.

Got lucky with the Noveskes, gas-ports were untouched - but both ran pistol length gas systems. Adjustable blocks weren't as great when I built those 2 uppers out, lots of issues with fouling, IIRC. So Chad just worked up what buffer spring buffer I should run if I wanted to shoot subs or supers and have it be reliable.

Still have the videos of him testing the 16" out with HIS suppressor at Scott's. Doesn't seem all that long ago...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Springs can be tricky when tuning 300s. I started out with a carbine spring and had spotty luck locking open on empty chambers(I was also working up sub loads at the same time). Then I tried a Nemo 300 Blk spring. It ran subs great, but if you tried supers in it, it beat the hell out of the gun. Next up, Tubb's new 300Blk spring. Now I'm not sure of the timing, Chad, at about that time, was at the Dottrio shoot in Fredneck and did the gas port work in his trailer. I took the gun inside Heritage right then and there and it ate like a chubby baby. The whole gun was build in his build class and I spared no expense on parts including SLR pinned GB. Gun has been flawless ever since. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

:thumbsup: times 2.

IMAG0250.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Has anyone used Ballistic Advantage Barrels before? I have never heard of them.

They have a decent barrel, and by decent, I mean slightly better than average. :)

I'm not a fan of the Performance/Premium series, simply due to the NiB extension. The Modern series shoot just as well as the Performance series, only w/out the NiB barrel extension. And for less money.

CZ4ME

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 12, 2014
    I bought a 16" HBAR Upper assembly from MAS Defense. Its fitted to a Ruger Lower, w/Daniel Defense lower kit, everything came together @reasonable price. I put about 100rds through it so far. I like it!

Attachments

• IMG_4809.jpg
      IMG_4809.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 192

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That limits barrel manufacturers since not all of them make pistol length gas systems. I'm starting to lean towards a Noveske barrel.

I would not waste the extra money on the "head-spaced" bolt. There is no guarantee it will meet spec in your BC and gun combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom