• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    https://www.hiruyhadgu.com/news/2017-8-8-proposed-school-redistricting-on-economic-integration

Wow, check oakland mills. Why kick that school MORE FARMS kids? Atholton and oakland communities should be pretty pissed about this.

My daughter is starting at Oakland Mills this Fall although according to the proposed redistricting plan she would go to Atholton next year. We're moving in the Spring to either keep her at Oakland Mills (if she likes it, almost all of her friends are there) or switch to Hammond (rest of her friends are there)
    She went to Lake Elkhorn Middle which was listed as the worst school in Howard County.
    We had a good experience there and the principal was outstanding. Being in all GT classes she was somewhat insulated from the nonsense that goes on.
    This redistricting stuff is all crap. They keep screwing with everyone's lives and property values in the name of diversity.
    I hate the politics of this state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My daughter is starting at Oakland Mills this Fall although according to the proposed redistricting plan she would go to Atholton next year. We're moving in the Spring to either keep her at Oakland Mills (if she likes it, almost all of her friends are there) or switch to Hammond (rest of her friends are there)
    She went to Lake Elkhorn Middle which was listed as the worst school in Howard County.
    We had a good experience there and the principal was outstanding. Being in all GT classes she was somewhat insulated from the nonsense that goes on.
    This redistricting stuff is all crap. They keep screwing with everyone's lives and property values in the name of diversity.
    I hate the politics of this state.

Yeah, my three years on the PTA were eye opening. Everything was about "equity". What the heck is equity, other than what I have in my house and other assets. The concept of "equity" is to make those less "fortunate" feel better about their position. Is it equitable that I have to pay more in property taxes or more in income taxes?

I am actually sorry that we moved to this county 6.5 years ago. A couple years ago my wife and I had been discussing if we had made a mistake in moving here. Now, we agree that it was a mistake.

It really is hilarious about the liberals out in the west. They are all for diversity, until it results in their kids being redistricted.

Let me just say this, 4 years ago they were planning on closing West Friendship Elementary School because of low attended levels. 240 students out of a max capacity of 400. Here we are 4 years later, and not only are they going to keep it open and make the repairs to the septic system, but in 5 years or so it will be at 140% capacity. Who the heck is doing these feasibility studies because the closure of WFES was based upon a 2013 feasibility study. How could they think it was feasible in 2013 to close WFES school, and now 4 years later they are going to use it to 140% of its capacity. Not only that, but who the heck thought it was feasible to allow all the development in Turf Valley and the Carroll Farm and not build another elementary school for 15 years? If people are getting paid for these feasibility studies, the county should get a refund. If county employees are doing the studies, they should be fired. Then, whoever allowed Turf Valley to be developed without providing for the necessary infrastructure should also be fired.

Even with the redistricting, Bushy Park will be underutilized because the feasibility study that called for an 800 student elementary school on route 87 was plain wrong many years ago. Any of these feasibility studies ever get it right?

It really is insane that some elementary school students drive by an elementary school on their way to school in the morning. The level of planning and "expertise" is severely lacking.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think the table Smokey posted is not the numbers under the AAC, or at least that's how I interpret it.

Yes, redistricting must happen, but why not identify raising 9th graders who don't have a sibling in HS yet. Then redistrict them to another HS. Would make bus routes confusing at first, but at least students already in HS would not be disrupted.

If you have a polygon serving multiple schools, then you compound the driving of the busses. Its sort of a $ thing. You add cost by doing so. There is no cost increase if the parents do the driving but that will cause other confusion also.

You have redistricting in Middle and Elementary also.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Turns out we get moved from Reservoir to River Hill in this latest iteration.

I'm rich!!!

We may end up having kids there together. I'll have a high schooler at RH for the next 7 years (hopefully not the same kid).

I'm not exactly ecstatic about losing the Atholton kids and gaining the Wild lake kids but I don't think I have any influence over the matter. The Moms in Minivan coalition is running this with their petitions along with those who are in command who have neighbors whispering in their ears.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We may end up having kids there together. I'll have a high schooler at RH for the next 7 years (hopefully not the same kid).

I'm not exactly ecstatic about losing the Atholton kids and gaining the Wild lake kids but I don't think I have any influence over the matter. The Moms in Minivan coalition is running this with their petitions along with those who are in command who have neighbors whispering in their ears.

LOL my son won't start there for another two years. I didn't look at the map to the east but I bet RH is getting the kids from Gaither Farm and that mega-mansion area. I always thought it was weird that they were districted to WL.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    My daughter is planned for mt Hebron She was worried about where she and her friends end up but she's still in the mt Hebron area. Some of her friends that live off St. John's lane, very close to Hebron, will be sent to the next school,out west, I think glenelg. But glenelg is a good school so no biggie for them.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    maybe the board is scared of Atholton home owners storming the BoE with real estate appraisals in hand?

nothing scares a politician more than losing votes - except facing an angry mob of helicopter parents...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    maybe the board is scared of Atholton home owners storming the BoE with real estate appraisals in hand?

nothing scares a politician more than losing votes - except facing an angry mob of helicopter parents...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah Altholton was getting royally screwed in the first proposal

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    SJW parents are going hard in the redistricting argument. There's people posting up that if you favor keeping neighborhoods together(like dunloggin), it means you are 1960's klansman teaching your kids bigotry. When they're not tossing the race card around, they're busy going straight at the developers. It's frustrating again to see that conservatives are largely silenced by radical lefties in education groups who disproportionately exert influence on educational policy.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Talking about holding off on redistricting for now and moving the construction of the new high school up from 2024 to 2022.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...c-reconvene-redistricting-20170921-story.html

Can kicking. 99% chance the attendance forecasts are wrong and the new high school wont fix anything. If it was that urgent, the HS would already have been built. Ask someone where the money is coming from. The answer is... dont know.

Howard County: We are fine with FARM kids going to our schools, just not the same school as our kids.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Nothing like a golden parachute AND landing on your feet as well

Attachments

• IMG_9834.jpg
      IMG_9834.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 134

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nothing like a golden parachute AND landing on your feet as well

Basically every hoco employee I know lost their minds when they saw this.... especially putting her in charge of assessment, accountability, and information technology.

I was the POC for my school when we switched from aspen to synergy for the county SIS(student information system). It was an absolute fustercluck of a technology rollout. There were little to no training aids offered by the county, so I had to take screencasts and fabricate them myself to train my staff. Even so, the program changed at least once a month to fix massive f-ups. One such massive f-up was that the grading system worked like one big google-doc with all teachers having editing capability, so it was possible for a teacher to accidentally fill-down and completely overwrite everyone else's grades and comments. I personally checked my grades and found a ton of them were changed by other people..... sooooo..... the accuracy of report cards two years ago probably wasn't super great in the first two quarters until they finally created separate tabs for different content areas.

She also "upgraded" our old macbooks to new ones...that suck. They have the same size hard drive, similar overall performance, but lack dual-boot capability(so I guess they have half the hard drive space technically and no more pc) and VERY stupidly, lack a dvdr drive. Teachers use the disk drives all the time for reading and writing disks, so it meant they had to buy external disk drives for us to use.

I won't even get started on canvas and how antiquated it is in terms of modern LMSs.

Plus there's foose's SJW stuff, lawsuits with the board, directly taking contract frustrations out on teachers and kids, and wild mishandling of funds. Many parents would also point to covering up the environmental(mold) issues and bad things dealing with cyberbullying.

Yeah... not a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom