• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    This guy makes fishing from the shore look fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCo9eWPzcgY

I haven't been fishing since I was 10 years old and didn't catch much back then, but since my next job will be on the east African coast, I'm thinking about taking up fishing again. Does anyone here have pointers in starting shore fishing salt water?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    generally i'd say just to go and see what folks are using for tackle, bait and technique, varies from place to place. i've done a lot of pier fishing down in outer banks and hatteras. nice to get out past the breakers. live bait fishing for king mackeral and cobia. casting for blues and spanish. bottom fishing for spot, croaker, threadfin shad and other small fish to use as live bait.

for surf fishing you generally want a longer, stiffer rod that can handle throwing a few oz's of lead and bait out there. spinning rods and reels are easier to use than conventional/bait casting but bait casting gives you more control.

the other thing i've done from shore and piers is shark fishing. get a big bloody tuna head at the marina, row it (or jetski or kite or float) out a few hundred yards and drop it off, of course with a big hook in it, come back to shore/pier and man your rod.

african coast sounds pretty exotic, have fun!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Carry a gun?

All fishing IMO is local. Find out what the others are doing and try the same. Seems like every place I have fished there is something specific to the locality. Sure some things are universal but seems like every different place, different things work. Plus, things can change. Especially if there is over fishing. Any chance you are going to be with someone who has already fished there? I wonder if tackle will be less expensive over there or you will have to bring some of your own stuff?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This guy makes fishing from the shore look fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCo9eWPzcgY

I haven't been fishing since I was 10 years old and didn't catch much back then, but since my next job will be on the east African coast, I'm thinking about taking up fishing again. Does anyone here have pointers in starting shore fishing salt water?

Surfers are, for the most part, azz-holes and will do everything they can to get in your way.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Surfers are, for the most part, azz-holes and will do everything they can to get in your way.

I'm pretty sure there's no one surfing near where I'm going. It's definitely cheaper to buy gear and bring it with me before I go. I don't know what people use to fish the Gulf of Aden, but I'll bring an assortment of lures. Since I'm a novice at fishing, I'm going to try one technique, cast it out and hope for the best. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm pretty sure there's no one surfing near where I'm going. It's definitely cheaper to buy gear and bring it with me before I go. I don't know what people use to fish the Gulf of Aden, but I'll bring an assortment of lures. Since I'm a novice at fishing, I'm going to try one technique, cast it out and hope for the best. ;)
    Lol! Good fishing! Never know what you're gonna catch in the Gulf of Aden.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'll bring an assortment of lures. Since I'm a novice at fishing, I'm going to try one technique, cast it out and hope for the best. ;)

generally from the shore it's mostly bottom fishing, bait (worms, cut fish, shrimp, squid) on a hook. at least where i've fished. definitely casting lures on the pier out past the breakers where the water is clearer.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I love surf fishing.

Got my start on an Outer Banks vacation years ago.

Talked to a few charter boats that wanted ~400-500 for a half day. I weighed my options then went to a tackle shop.

Walked out with $500 worth of gear. 2 nice surfcasting rods/reels and enough tackle to get me started. Great investment, Ive never looked back.

I usually throw one large bait looking for a large fish. The other rod is typically a double bottom rig for spot or croakers.

If my kiddos are with me ill bring a smaller spinning rig to cast a spoon to the backwash.

There is nothing like the song of a clicker as line is taken out hard and fast.

I would love to do a multi day fishing trip camping on the Carolina and Delaware shores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom