• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Looking to replace a couple old crab pots. Any advice on where to buy them? Price? Thanks!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Define crab pot? Are you looking for the large pot you throw over the pier or are you talking about the 1 sq ft pots you use from a boat?

Either way, around here, you can find them at local hardware stores and bait shops.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Large crab pots you set off your pier. I realize they are available everywhere but since they are largely hand made I was wondering which sellers/makers folks have had the best luck with.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    McKays in Leonardtown had some the last time I was there. They had the coated and uncoated, anywhere from like 30 to 50 bucks.

I think the guy next to where the Ridge Carnival is at has them too, been a while since I've been in there though so he may not anymore.

The coated ones are more expensive but my coated ones lasted much longer than my land lords did.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    look up the regs, MD has the turtle exclusion rules thing for the rectangular opening and I recall something about blocking the holes during certain times.
    Never had my pots inspected by DNR but I stay compliant.
    http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/flyer_stores.pdf

Sometimes the walmarts have the exclusion devices not mounted because I think the commercial crabbers don't need them.
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.07.htm

IF you buy from a real fishing store, they will know. Walmart people have no clue.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Use a guy named Spalding. He is South of Calloway. They were $29 last batch. He has rubber coated or galvanized mesh with two door configurations. He makes them himself. There is a crappy plywood sign along the highway. It's on the west side of the road. It's a bit off the road. His black lab is kind of barky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom