• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    No, there is a residential Mexican villa style house being built on Strauss Avenue sort of behind the Subway but on the north bound side of Strauss. I'm guessing it is around 6K SF and just kind of out of place. For those not from the area, there is a row of town houses you can see from here that are about 900 sf over 2 floors, most of the other houses around it are 40 years old and 1/4 the size, etc.

Nobody knows who is building that house. Apparently it's a mystery much talked about in town since that's a pretty sketchy area and usually stuff like that doesn't happen without everyone knowing about it.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    It's so hard to believe that the old Arizona pizza location on Centennial Street just sits vacant after all of these years. All of the kitchen equipment is there, booths and even the TV's on each table.

I have heard that the rent is $6,000 month. It seems like the owner would reduce the rent rather than letting it sit vacant.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Nobody knows who is building that house. Apparently it's a mystery much talked about in town since that's a pretty sketchy area and usually stuff like that doesn't happen without everyone knowing about it.

I pulled the guy up, currently living on 65 acres off Penn's Hill Road. Why he would build that house there is beyond me.

It's so hard to believe that the old Arizona pizza location on Centennial Street just sits vacant after all of these years. All of the kitchen equipment is there, booths and even the TV's on each table.

I have heard that the rent is $6,000 month. It seems like the owner would reduce the rent rather than letting it sit vacant.

Current owner bought that place for $400k in 4/2013. Turn key 4800sf with outdoor seating. That's a bargain and why he bought it. He's worth over $100M and I told him I'd eat there every day if he opened a Steak, Sushi and Sake place but he wont do it.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    FIOS in April???? AWESOME!

Yep! It's all ready to go, just need to turn the switch on. Type your address in on Verizon.com to see if you are part of the initial roll out.

Verizon spent over $1M upgrading that building on Strauss. New HVAC, new generator, new battery plant (phone company runs on DC power), new stuff all over. They'll never make their money back and only did it to satisfy providing services to rural communities per the Local Franchise Authority with the county.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Are you sure the Sonic will be in Laplata, there's a new Sonic coming in Waldorf 2055 Crain Hwy.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    i keep hearing this place (Red Oak) is good for happy hour but the food sucks.

I was there with my family for dinner last week. While in my experience the food wasn't really bad, I would never chose to go there again to eat.

PS, Tuesday night is 'Pot Roast Special' night at Maries. Ask me how I know. LOL

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i keep hearing this place is good for happy hour but the food sucks.

cocktails are on point.

food is good, not great, but some menu items are much better than others. granted I haven't been since last summer, and the menu has been updated since then. they don't have something on the menu I've eaten and craved it again later.

the back patio is a nice addition.

as to other places, the sonic in the dorf is open, and people have created giant lines for subpar food. drive through line 50 cars deep in the parking lot across the street. I don't know what the public sees in sonic... every time in my life I've eaten sonic I had an emergency throne appointment 2 hours after consumption.... and the food is no better than what is available otherwise.

Mar 3, 2013
    Silver Skewers is delicious, although one of the owners is a bit strange.

I had always heard stories about the owner, mostly from disgruntled former employees.

I don't know the "He" but the lady who owns/runs the place is very nice. My daughter worked there for awhile and was treated VERY well.

Say NO to SONIC, we have enough of that crap.

Some of my go to places are Texas Ribs, Red Oak, Casey's, Ledos, Napoli, Rucci's, Hunan Star, T&J's, Fosters. I like Dale's too, but I don't get over that way to often.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I don't know the "He" but the lady who owns/runs the place is very nice. My daughter worked there for awhile and was treated VERY well.

Some of my go to places are Texas Ribs, Red Oak, Casey's, Ledos, Napoli, Rucci's, Hunan Star, T&J's, Fosters. I like Dale's too, but I don't get over that way to often.

Second for Napoli's.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    La Plata is deff getting a Sonic. its going at on the other side of rt. 6 of starbucks. the old gas station is going away.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD

It was her husband, or maybe ex-husband now.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Wanted to revive this thread...

Seems El Dorado in La Plata has
    closed...I liked it a lot...food and prices were good...ambiance as well...just
    never seemed to do much business.

Have been to the LaPlata Bollywood
    twice...excellent!!!!

Napoli's is a classic. Family owned
    and operated for decades...good
    people, and very good pizza - that
    from a native NY-er.

Pizza Hotline is really good as well...
    too bad there is no seating.

The sushi at the new Thai place in
    the old Ouzo's location is really good!

Sure miss the old Ouzo's...same
    owners for the Obo's in Waldorf and
    Indian Head, and Galazio. All are
    good.

Best deals? For my money, the lunch
    buffet at Bollywood or the great
    Chinese buffet up there in Waldorf
    next to the old ice cream place...forget
    the name of it, but great selections at
    great prices. Anyone remember its
    name? Guess I will have to google it.

Oh, and thumbs up to Pho Delite in
    Waldorf. Try the coconut drink!!!!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Went to Red Oak with a group of 9 people last Friday. It was really hit or miss.
    The soup was salty. The grouper bites were salty. I liked the pizza.
    The girls ordered cocktails and the same drink made by two different bartenders was unrecognizable.

I know everyone likes to rag on the franchise places, but they just offer better consistency on these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom