• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noob

Jul 4, 2017
    I have a 2 year old son who I plan to teach to shoot when he's old enough. I plan to start with a .22lr. Ruger or marlin probably. The takedown interests me because of its portability and being able to put it in my pack.. is the 10/22 TD accurate? I only wanna purchase one to teach all 3 of my children to shoot when it's age appropriate. But I don't wanna teach them with an unreliable inaccurate 10/22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    haven't shot the takedown versions but my 10/22 is plenty accurate.

might want to start younguns off with a single shot though, or a pump or lever or bolt, vs a semi. guess you could just load one at a time. good luck!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A pint sized rifle. For pint sized people.

turnersCrickett.gif

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. 10/22 is more than accurate enough for all around general use. ( And I'm notorious 10/22 non-fan .)

2. For pint sizes yutes, you should have a gun sized to fit them.

Added -

Welcome ! Pretty explanatory first post, but go ahead stop by the introductions subforum, and you will in short order recieve a buncha useful information and links, from the usual helpful fellows.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A plain Jane, Ruger 10/22 Takedown (mine is a stainless version with a synthetic black stock) is more than capable of shooting less than a quarter size group at 50 yards.

For training new shooters, often a bolt action with a good set of iron sights can be a good tool. Here are a few options in the similar price range as the 10/22 Takedown ...

CZ 455 Military Trainer, $325 shipped
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/cz-usa-455-22lr-military-training-rifle-02100

Savage Mark I FVT (includes front and rear aperture sights), $315 shipped
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-257

Ruger American Rimfire (includes front and rear aperture sights), $325 shipped
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719007574

Noob

Jul 4, 2017
    Thank you all for the helpful tips and advise. It's much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A plain Jane, Ruger 10/22 Takedown (mine is a stainless version with a synthetic black stock) is more than capable of shooting less than a quarter size group at 50 yards.

For training new shooters, often a bolt action with a good set of iron sights can be a good tool. Here are a few options in the similar price range as the 10/22 Takedown ...

CZ 455 Military Trainer, $325 shipped
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/cz-usa-455-22lr-military-training-rifle-02100

Savage Mark I FVT (includes front and rear aperture sights), $315 shipped
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-257

Ruger American Rimfire (includes front and rear aperture sights), $325 shipped
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719007574

The sights on the Savage are absolute crap.

Another option is a single shot adapter for the 10/22. Also buy another stock on ebay and cut it down to shorten the LOP.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Get a savage lil rascal...it's a single shot with accu trigger, peep sights, and drilled and tapped for scope. I bought two of them to teach my kids. Very accurate rifles and more reliable/accurate than my nephews Crickett

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't think you'd have anything to worry about with a 10/22. For the price, you're getting a very reliable, accurate rifle. Regardless of the type (TD or regular) you will find that it will shoot where you aim.

Good Luck!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The sights on the Savage are absolute crap.

Disagree. These are the Williams peep sights, not the standard Savage sights. The CMP sells youth training rifles with the same setup. And Ruger moved to use them in the other link I provided to have a trainer to compete with the Savage. The Savage Mark I/V FVT with Williams peep sights are pretty common in beginning youth rifle classes. Hard to find a new 22 trainer with a total price point of $325 or less with better sights.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm gonna second the Crickett or Rascal, if your boy is only 2 now you'll want to be teaching him long before he grows into the 10-22

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I had a Cricket and that firearm is so limited in it's use. The kid will outgrow it in no time. I personally like the CZ455 Scout for a first 22lr rifle. It comes with a mag, but also a single shot sled. I had one for my youngest and then sold it to someone here on the forum for his young daughter.

It is by far the best beginner's rifle for a young child. Top quality, shoots like a rifle costing 4 times it's cost. CZ has a much better name in the industry. Resale, if that's a consideration, is much better than a cricket.

YMMV.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The age that you ask of when to start a child shooting is when they listen and follow your instruction. They need to understand death and it's finality, if any of the safety rules are broken.

Start with the 4 rules of gun safety:
    1) Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
    2) Treat every gun as if it loaded
    3) keep the finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot
    4) Be sure of your target and beyond

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I think I'd give the Rascal a serious look if doing this today. I didn't care for the "crew served" nature of the Cricket and bought a youth sized Rossi "matched pair" to start my kids on. This was a .22 break open which also had a shotgun barrel you install instead of the .22. I don't think either of my kids ever used the shotgun (I went w/ 20 gauge) barrel although friends we loaned it to did.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I cut the stock down on an old single shot 22 for my kids when they were young. One shot at a time helped them concentrate on their shots. Safety was our #1 priority. Worked our pretty well, they are now 22, 29 and 31 and all 3 are safe, accurate shooters. (2 girls and a boy!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom