• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeeMD

Dec 10, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey, J.T., I don't own a Benz but do you work on Lexus? I need oil change, and will supply oil and filter. My regular guy retired, let me know if I should PM you instead.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Rather than starting another thread....

JT or others....

What do you think about the 83-85 or so era 300Ds?

I've always had a fascination for these things and we're looking to get a 3rd vehicle to save some wear and tear on my truck for day to day driving.

There's nothing on the used market that really does it for me for late model cars and for under 10k I can get something I actually like.

What kind of a money pit are these things these days?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County

JT or others....

My first was a 1983 300TD. I had read an article about running a diesel on used cooking oil and was interested. Short learning curve on Mercedes mechanics and electrical.(older ones) Once you have a basic understanding they're easy to work on and maintain. Lots of good info on this forum http://www.benzworld.org/forums/ Once I got into the Mercedes diesel I found out they manufactured a diesel coupe and had to find one. Drove that as my daily driver until the wife said she was tired of driving around with me in "and old looking car" so I went from the 1985 diesel coupe to a 1997 SL. Made the mistake of trading the SL for a Corvette. Now I'm happily back driving a 2008 CLK350.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD

JT or others....

I've always had a fascination for these things and we're looking to get a 3rd vehicle to save some wear and tear on my truck for day to day driving.

There's nothing on the used market that really does it for me for late model cars and for under 10k I can get something I actually like.

I apologize for missing your post Norton.

I guess the best question is are you mechanically inclined with cars? The "old" diesels do require some upkeep. Service every 15k miles with new filters, and valve adjustments every 30k. The timing chains stretch and the headgaskets leak. They aren't "hard" to work on but most shops don't have guys that are comfortable tearing them down in my experience.

The transmissions leak, the suspension bushings wear out, The steering components wear out, and the cars rust badly. But once you get it fixed up they run great. If you do decide to buy one I'd have it checked out prior to purchase. Good luck and contact me if I can be of any assistance

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I apologize for missing your post Norton.

I guess the best question is are you mechanically inclined with cars? The "old" diesels do require some upkeep. Service every 15k miles with new filters, and valve adjustments every 30k. The timing chains stretch and the headgaskets leak. They aren't "hard" to work on but most shops don't have guys that are comfortable tearing them down in my experience.

The transmissions leak, the suspension bushings wear out, The steering components wear out, and the cars rust badly. But once you get it fixed up they run great. If you do decide to buy one I'd have it checked out prior to purchase. Good luck and contact me if I can be of any assistance

The rust thing is actually the thing that bothers me the most. I don't have a garage and I can see that 30 years of potential rust accelerating at an epic pace.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Bump.......

Attachments

• new card fb.jpg
      new card fb.jpg
      22.6 KB · Views: 276
    • flyer3small.jpg
      flyer3small.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 271

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Have a friend back home who is trained to repair many exotic cars. He has some pretty funny stories about things that went wrong with them, and clever ways they "fixed" some woman's new Mercedes while they waited on parts.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Have a friend back home who is trained to repair many exotic cars. He has some pretty funny stories about things that went wrong with them, and clever ways they "fixed" some woman's new Mercedes while they waited on parts.

Yea I have seen some interesting things

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Its a little off topic, but ...

I occasionally see a TV commercial for some model of Mercedes costing $30k. Heck, you can pay more than that for a loaded Camry. Is this model any good, cause it seems like a deal?

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Justin just did a transmission service on my ML, and right before that a major service. I took it out to Chicago. I drove straight through both ways, stopping just a few minutes for gas and bathroom breaks. She didn't miss a beat.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Its a little off topic, but ...

I occasionally see a TV commercial for some model of Mercedes costing $30k. Heck, you can pay more than that for a loaded Camry. Is this model any good, cause it seems like a deal?
    Its a nice car, but not necessarily the same quality of other MB cars, mainly the interior.
    Justin just did a transmission service on my ML, and right before that a major service. I took it out to Chicago. I drove straight through both ways, stopping just a few minutes for gas and bathroom breaks. She didn't miss a beat.

Glad to hear it!:thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    JT or others. A friend has a 2007 300 series diesel and he has abused it hauling ammo for his business and had no problems other than replacing the rear springs from all the weight. His wife has a 2007 diesel SUV, a big one, 300 MKL maybe, and it has been a money pit. Would a late model mid sized, just can't get in and out out of the small ones, diesel COP be a good bet? Sorry I don't know the model #s or what they run price wise. I'll bet insurance is high because of parts cost?

Last edited:

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    JT or others. A friend has a 2007 300 series diesel and he has abused it hauling ammo for his business and had no problems other than replacing the rear springs from all the weight. His wife has a 2007 diesel SUV, a big one, and it has been a money pit. Would a late model mid sized, just can't get in and out out of the small ones, diesel COP be a good bet? Sorry I don't know the model #s or what they run price wise. I'll bet insurance is high because of parts cost?

I'm 99% sure I know who you are referring to. Lol
    He has my card if he needs any work done. But to answer your question yes CPO is a nice thing to have

Btw... The broken springs arent due to hauling ammo. Its a common problem on that model

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm 99% sure I know who you are referring to. Lol
    He has my card if he needs any work done. But to answer your question yes CPO is a nice thing to have

Btw... The broken springs arent due to hauling ammo. Its a common problem on that model
    Interesting, he admitted he abused it hauling ammo from his ware house to his store. Said he used it like a truck. Still swears by them and he's a car guy and was an engineer by trade. Says his wife's is a POS.

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    Hey JT, my brother just picked up an 05 or 06 CLK63 Black Series, but he lives in Springfield, VA. Do you only service MD?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Wish I would have seen this when I still had my E55 AMG. Hell of a car but wow the repair bills were scary. All work was done under warranty but I sold it with a month left on the factory warranty. I miss the car so I wouldn't rule out another one.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    Will keep this in mind. Picked up a 2011 E550 4MATIC Nov 1st. At the dealer now for warranty work, but would be nice to have someone that comes to you. Are you able to file work under extended warranties? (Safegaurd/Route66)

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom