• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warhorse

Aug 20, 2008
    Centreville, MD
    Just paid $49.95 plus tax for a carton of 1000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers at Bass Pro. I think that I got "took" but can't do anything about it now. This is higher than ordering on-line with Midway even taking the hazmat charge into account. :mad54:

Seems that I need to pay better attention in the future. Any suggestions for a local (Eastern Shore) source for more reasonable priced primers? Don't think I'll be going back to Bass Pro any time in the near future.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yes..thats a bit high.. saw some at chantilly for $30. you may want to venture to a gunshow to get better deal or any IP that sells reloading items.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Local and cheap? Internet to your doorstep. Wideners or Grafs. Bullseye powder is $24.xx/lb at BP, internet it's like $12. So yeah...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    My local gunshop told me a couple weeks ago - that powder, primers, and bullets are supposed to be jumping on price. Dont know if there is alot of truth to that or not, but maybe its the case.

But speculation is what causes prices to jump, because everyone trys to hoard them, and the supply goes down.

Ordering online can be a good deal - but the Hazmat fees kill you. I think if you do an order with a bunch of people, and spread out the shipping & hazmat, you may be able to come out ahead.

By the way Powder Valley does have some good prices on primers & powder (for now).

www.powdervalleyinc.com

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    take a trip into DE and go to a place like Millers in New Castle area or somewhere else in DE.

I tend to go up to PA for my primers and powder.

Warhorse

Aug 20, 2008
    Centreville, MD
    Primer cost update

Thanks for the input. I went to Powder Valley and found their primer cost was only $25/1000 for small pistol primers. Hazmat fee was $27.50.

Purchase a mere 2000 primers and it beats Bass Pro all hollow even with shipping and hazmat added in. (Yeah, I really got ripped off there. I won't be going back to Bass Pro.) :mad54:

The one hazmat fee applies to the entire order. Therefore, it makes sense to make the order as large as you can manage and the cost will beat just about everyone else within a reasonable driving distance and Midway as well.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Just paid $49.95 plus tax for a carton of 1000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers at Bass Pro. I think that I got "took" but can't do anything about it now. This is higher than ordering on-line with Midway even taking the hazmat charge into account. :mad54:

Seems that I need to pay better attention in the future. Any suggestions for a local (Eastern Shore) source for more reasonable priced primers? Don't think I'll be going back to Bass Pro any time in the near future.

I think the last time a few months ago I bought 5K it was $149. The Key is buy more at a time. It is not much but some savings . I also bought powder to go with the primers it make the Haz-Mat fee not as bad.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bass pro's prices on a lot of things lately have gone way up, but they've always been a bit high on primers and powder. I picked up some small pistol and SP magnums at Chantilly for $28 which wasn't too bad, but still higher than I expected or had gotten them not so long ago. I used to get my primers from Bart's in Glen Burnie, but that was years ago, I don't know what their prices are now.

Hope this helps.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    True.

Do they still want a copy of your drivers licence to store in an unsecure location and tell you it's "Federal Law"?

Yeah, they started that up again recently. It's actually a MD state fire marshal law, but I've heard that it's a requirement of everything from FBI to ATF from them. :rolleyes:

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

yuup.jpg

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Are you telling me they made a copy of your DL when you bought powder?

No, not me, I buy mine out of state because of this stupid law. :)
    Years ago, they were trying to require it for primers too, though primers weren't part of the law.
    For a while, they (bass pro) had stopped asking for the DL, but I don't know why. I did buy some from them then. :innocent0

Recently, they began requiring ID again. Must have gotten audited is my guess. There is a fairly recent post on here somewhere about it. In it, I copied the law for those that weren't familiar with it, straight from the state fire marshall's site.

They aren't doing anything wrong, they're just complying with the law. It is a dumb law though. :tdown:

MH

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just bought 2000 Large Rifle Primers from a local guy, $37.50 per 1000. I'm finishing up my last batch of 7.62x51 and will be loading up my 30-06 brass. I have another 1K coming to me for $100.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    If any of you guys shoot matches at York let me know and I'll bring them to the shoots $30/1000 in your hands almost any primer you may need. Quantities from 1k-100k available. I can do better if you're buying more than 10k.

AR mags also a specialty of mine. Let me know what you need. I have a bunch of very nice CProducts Milspec with anti-tilt folowers for $12 new in plastic.

Beta-mags for $260. You know you need a 100 round mag!

I have some Lancers and they are positively the best AR mag you can buy. Yes, even better than Pmags.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    No, not me, I buy mine out of state because of this stupid law. :)
    Years ago, they were trying to require it for primers too, though primers weren't part of the law.
    For a while, they (bass pro) had stopped asking for the DL, but I don't know why. I did buy some from them then. :innocent0

Recently, they began requiring ID again. Must have gotten audited is my guess. There is a fairly recent post on here somewhere about it. In it, I copied the law for those that weren't familiar with it, straight from the state fire marshall's site.

They aren't doing anything wrong, they're just complying with the law. It is a dumb law though. :tdown:

MH

So when Ed asked "Do they still want a copy of your drivers licence to store in an unsecure location and tell you it's "Federal Law"? " and you said "Yeah" you really meant to say "Nope" and when I said "Nope" you really meant to agree with me instead of posting your picture saying "Yuuup!".
    I think I understand.

Here's the deal. The Fire Marshall recently said powder logs must be kept. This has been law for quite some time even if some places don't always do it. MD shops selling powder are required to record who bought powder,where they live, what they bought , when they bought it , and how much they bought . Nobody should be copying your DL or recording a thing for buying primers. This only applies to black and smokeless powder.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    So when Ed asked "Do they still want a copy of your drivers licence to store in an unsecure location and tell you it's "Federal Law"? " and you said "Yeah" you really meant to say "Nope" and when I said "Nope" you really meant to agree with me instead of posting your picture saying "Yuuup!".
    I think I understand.

Here's the deal. The Fire Marshall recently said powder logs must be kept. This has been law for quite some time even if some places don't always do it. MD shops selling powder are required to record who bought powder,where they live, what they bought , when they bought it , and how much they bought . Nobody should be copying your DL or recording a thing for buying primers. This only applies to black and smokeless powder.

Now we're on the same page. :thumbsup:

I thought you were originally disagreeing that there was such a law. That debate seems to get stirred up here every so often.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom