• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just picked up a Glock 41 MOS for USPSA Multigun Heavy Metal division, since you can use double stacks, now.

The mags drop free if there's any rounds left in the mag, but if it's completely empty, it occasionally won't drop free; luckily, I figured out why: the slide stop is loose, and sometimes, it drops to the SIDE of the follower, holding the magazine in place if you press the mag release (see photos.) You can "flick" it out or pull a little and it will drop out, but still a pain for a competition gun.

I'm not an experienced Glock guy; is this common? Could the slide stop be out of spec? Is there a known fix for this or just accept that that's the way it is if I run dry?

Are all Glock trigger shoes the same? Could SSVI have sent me the wrong trigger shoe?

Drops free...

20180509_103229_zpsprdirtem.jpg

Doesn't drop free...

20180509_103152_zpsnx6outbf.jpg

Gratuitous gun photo

20180511_184706_zpstncful3a.jpg

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Looks like the magazine is canted in the magwell in the photo where it does not release. You might check the mag release to see if it is causing the binding. Does this happen with all of your mags or just the one? Perhaps trying another mag.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Looks like the magazine is canted in the magwell in the photo where it does not release. You might check the mag release to see if it is causing the binding. Does this happen with all of your mags or just the one? Perhaps trying another mag.

Three different mags, three different mag releases (two OEM, one aftermarket); same thing.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    On the first Polymer80 that I did, I had to open up the hole on the right side of the grip so that the mag release would fully seat with a mag inserted. When I inserted a mag, I would have to slam it quite hard to insure it was in and locked. I traced the problem to the mag release function. The preformed opening was too tight for the mag release to sit flush with the right side of the grip. I used an Exacto knife to enlarge the opening until my mag release(Glock OEM) would slide into position freely and sit flush to the grip surface. Now when I insert a mag, it requires almost no effort, locks into place every time, and drops free when I hit the release.
    You did not address my observation about the mag being canted in the magwell when it does not drop. You also said that hitting the mag release will drop the mag. Check the fit of your mag release to the grip. Any resistance to it going into position can cause the issues you describe, IMO. The mag release not seating properly could cause the mag to be off center in the magwell, too. Remove the spring and check for freedom of movement.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    now i see this thread is a few weeks old...

the tab on one of my glocks completely covers that corner of the mag. no chance for it to catch on the side. maybe pull the trigger and see if that tab kicks in more like mine. as you noted, maybe your trigger is pushing it outwards too much.

Attachments

• 20180601_162636_resized.jpg
      20180601_162636_resized.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 241

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads