• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    $50 credit per deer up to $200 per year, but there might be an exception where more can be taken as a credit when they are donated under a crop damage permit.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/bills/hb/hb0007t.pdf

I am going to tell my wife that I can get paid now to hunt deer. lol This credit might cover the cost of hunting IF I have no paying work to do. However, this really is a good thing.

Keep in mind that the credit is like getting $50 to $200 in your pocket. It is NOT a deduction, but an actual tax credit. I am going to have to read up on this some more since I just saw it, but figured I would post it here.

Next tax season, I get to ask everybody, "Did you hunt deer this year? Kill any? Did you donate any to Feed the Hungry?"

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I imagine that the donator is responsible for processing the deer?

Yeah, the credit is to be taken for "qualified expenses", which are the expense of processing the deer.

SUBJECT TO THE LIMITATIONS OF THIS SECTION, AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HUNTS AND HARVESTS AN ANTLERLESS DEER MAY CLAIM A CREDIT AGAINST THE STATE INCOME TAX FOR UP TO $50 OF THE QUALIFIED EXPENSES INCURRED BY THE INDIVIDUAL IF:

That is what happens when I review laws at 3:00 in the morning. So, not going to get paid for hunting.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Initially when I saw this proposed I thought someone could use a donation voucher at the butcher and still get a $50 credit, which sounded like getting paid to shoot deer. I think the way it passed will be you pay the butcher to process the deer and donate it and you will get a credit for $50 worth of the fee. I think my butcher only charges $50 to process deer donated to FHFH but he usually runs out of vouchers pretty quick, so now Maryland will pay hunters directly (reimburse them) when they file their taxes for donated deer.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Initially when I saw this proposed I thought someone could use a donation voucher at the butcher and still get a $50 credit, which sounded like getting paid to shoot deer. I think the way it passed will be you pay the butcher to process the deer and donate it and you will get a credit for $50 worth of the fee. I think my butcher only charges $50 to process deer donated to FHFH but he usually runs out of vouchers pretty quick, so now Maryland will pay hunters directly (reimburse them) when they file their taxes for donated deer.

Well, I'm sitting on 25 crop damage permits so this is good news for me. My butcher is keen to get crop damage deer early in the season but around mid-firearms season he runs out of tags and won't take them any more. I think the basic processing fee at my butcher is $85, so (let me get my calculator) that means it will cost me $35 to donate after he runs out of donation credits? Also, would he transport the processed (donated) meat, or would that be the responsibility of the hunter?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Coincidently I just bought a box of silver JHP .308 rounds. Damned if I rememebr where I put the receipt, but I am pretty sure the box was $1000. So that works out to $50 a round...

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    If qualified expenses include more that the butcher fee then yeah, how much per year can you count for land, weapons, ammunition, clothing, transportation, processing equipment (knife, butt out, rubber gloves) etc. Don't think they spelled out qualified expenses. Might have to read it again.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I stand corrected. It does specify. IN THIS SECTION, “QUALIFIED EXPENSES” MEANS EXPENSES INCURRED TO BUTCHER AND PROCESS AN ANTLERLESS DEER FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. So if the butcher charges $85 you can only deduct $50. I'd check with your butcher though. They may do it for $50 since it's being donated.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Does anyone know if there are any federal tax implications? (I moved to Virginia in part because of Maryland taxes). :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does anyone know if there are any federal tax implications? (I moved to Virginia in part because of Maryland taxes). :)

Well, sure. For federal taxes you can already write-off the cost of a donation. But it can only be incurred expenses on services. So you can donate a jazz performance to your local school, but all you can deduct is your actually costs of performing the concert, not the value of it.

So you can't deduct $810 for 56lbs of organic free range venison (making up a value), but you CAN deduct butchering fees and probably your ammo cost. You could probably include any other disposables like latex gloves, Clorox wipes, whatever. You likely could not deduct hunting lease costs (of any sort) and some other stuff.

But I am absolutely NOT a tax lawyer or CPA, I've just been doing my own taxes for years and reading all of the relevant publications on stuff. So consider me a reasonably well informed layman.

A closer example that I can directly attest to is I've brewed beer for benefit stuff (you can legally give away beer without a license), all I can write off is my supply costs like grains, yeast and propane. I can' write off the value of the beer itself (and that has nothing to do with what it would cost if I could sell it).

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Well, sure. For federal taxes you can already write-off the cost of a donation. But it can only be incurred expenses on services. So you can donate a jazz performance to your local school, but all you can deduct is your actually costs of performing the concert, not the value of it.

So you can't deduct $810 for 56lbs of organic free range venison (making up a value), but you CAN deduct butchering fees and probably your ammo cost. You could probably include any other disposables like latex gloves, Clorox wipes, whatever. You likely could not deduct hunting lease costs (of any sort) and some other stuff.

But I am absolutely NOT a tax lawyer or CPA, I've just been doing my own taxes for years and reading all of the relevant publications on stuff. So consider me a reasonably well informed layman.

A closer example that I can directly attest to is I've brewed beer for benefit stuff (you can legally give away beer without a license), all I can write off is my supply costs like grains, yeast and propane. I can' write off the value of the beer itself (and that has nothing to do with what it would cost if I could sell it).

Wait, why is "...56lbs of organic free range venison..." considered a service? Because I didn't purchase it? It seems like it's a tangible "good" to me, or, at least I'd like it to be considered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom