• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    YouTube took me down the rabbit-hole last night and I started watching hunts for invasive species. Seemed to be open season on most with no bag limit. Anything like that in Maryland?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    People Bow-fish snakeheads all of the time.

Some people even shoot / trap Nutria, as it's season is open year round

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Outdoor cats are my favorite invasive species to hunt here in Maryland. Very cute but very very destructive to wildlife.

We used to get $3 for their hides for glove liners and if your short on coon meat and your hungry cat meat will do in a pinch

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    There is ground hogs, and also pigeon year round. I would love to find a place for pigeons but so far I've only found them in cities and overpasses.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    thought

Im pretty sure the nutria population is almost non existent in Md these days.

I thought I read somewhere they exist on the Eastern Shore?

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/Nutria.aspx

Nutria are large rodents that look like beavers with long, thin tails similar to muskrats. Nutria may weight up to 20 pounds and reach about 24 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. Nutria have thick brown fur and orange front teeth. They are designed for aquatic life, with webbed feet and eyes, nostrils and ears located high on their heads to enable them to expose as little of their bodies as possible when breathing at the surface of the water.

Nutria are native to South America but have become established in 16 states in North America. Nutria were introduced to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in the 1940s, where they were farmed for fur. Currently, nutria can be found on the Eastern Shore of Maryland as well as in the Potomac and Patuxent rivers on the Western Shore.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    House Sparrows. Annihilate! Kill! Kill!

Attachments

• killkill.jpg
      killkill.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 611

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Surprised no one mentioned feral pigs yet. Just a matter of time before they’re here.

If they come from the south, they don't have a chance getting past Somd:toothless

Every once in a blue moon, there is an escapee. They don't last too long on their own. :innocent0

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I thought I read somewhere they exist on the Eastern Shore?

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/Nutria.aspx

Nutria are large rodents that look like beavers with long, thin tails similar to muskrats. Nutria may weight up to 20 pounds and reach about 24 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. Nutria have thick brown fur and orange front teeth. They are designed for aquatic life, with webbed feet and eyes, nostrils and ears located high on their heads to enable them to expose as little of their bodies as possible when breathing at the surface of the water.

Nutria are native to South America but have become established in 16 states in North America. Nutria were introduced to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in the 1940s, where they were farmed for fur. Currently, nutria can be found on the Eastern Shore of Maryland as well as in the Potomac and Patuxent rivers on the Western Shore.

USDA has been working on them a LONG time.
    Few pockets left.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    DNR introduced coyotes to take care of the nutria.

It worked so well, now there are coyotes in every county, and are considered invasive. SO you can hunt those year round as well.

The real invasive species are humans. killing those is against the law. Most places. Although if you are short of coon meat, they taste great schezuan style. I also recommend the double cooked ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom