• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Argh! Winchester is what I meant, wasn't sure if the Remmy had gotten into service yet for Gy Hathcock. Thanks for fixing that :)

And, 1646 - very cool, I need to get down to the museum one of these days (still haven't been there, and it's been open *how* long?) I was just a radio rock, I'm guessing you were on the team as well as having the MOS?

Semper Fi, brother!

Sent from my mobile excuse the types pleasde!

I was Army. When I was shooting at Quantico, it was as a civilian, mostly with the Maryland State Rifle Team. The Marine armorers there were a great bunch of guys!! I doubt that they are allowed to do what they did for us today due to 9/11.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    It's cool and all but they prolly waited a month to get the perfect day to try it and had 10s of thousands in equipment to attempt it.

As a long-range shooter, I have nothing but respect for those guys. (Shooter and spotter) What they did was amazing. And, I have no problem with them waiting for, what would seem, to be the "perfect day". Why wouldn't they? To make a wind call at 1000yds can be tough. At 2-miles, pure skill. 1mph wind at the that distance will have extreme effects on the trajectory. Add in differing wind directions, there is a lot to consider. Yeah, a windier day would have made it tougher, but that shot is far from easy. Then there's the shooter... My shots at 1000yds are off because my rifle is canted, I am forcing the scope onto the target, the rear bag isn't settled, etc... If any of those are out of whack, good luck hitting the target. Trust me, there has to be a "shooter" behind that gun for that shot.

As far as equipment... That's was a bolt-gun w/ a great scope. To say that gun was over $10K is pushing it. Didn't see much else other than a spotting scope for the spotter. Everything else was to capture the event.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There seems to be a great deal of confusion between 1000 yards and a mile - 2000+ yards is not 2+ miles. Just for some clarity:

1 Mile = 5280 feet
    5280 feet = 1760 yards
    2 miles = 3520 yards/10560 feet

That's a LOOOOONG way.

If you factor 2800 fps muzzle velocity, (which decreases by about 400 fps within the first 500 yards - not sure how much after that) you're looking at about 4 seconds, +/- of flight time.

Of course it's not like long range rifle shots have never been done. Bismarck hit the Hood (moving rifle to moving target) at a range between 12 and 14 miles, and the HMS Warspite hit the Giulio Cesare at around 26,000 yards, which is over 14 miles.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I deployed with Gunny Hathcock's Armorer, MGYSGT McCabe to Korea from Okinawa 1989, I was a Cpl. at the time on my first tour in Oki...He had some stories to tell. Those Amorers from Quantico were probably 2112s not 2111s, the 2112 School is in Quantico, that school from what I last remember you had to nominated to get in, it is the a hardcore Gunsmiths Course...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    There seems to be a great deal of confusion between 1000 yards and a mile - 2000+ yards is not 2+ miles. Just for some clarity:

1 Mile = 5280 feet
    5280 feet = 1760 yards
    2 miles = 3520 yards/10560 feet

That's a LOOOOONG way.

If you factor 2800 fps muzzle velocity, (which decreases by about 400 fps within the first 500 yards - not sure how much after that) you're looking at about 4 seconds, +/- of flight time.

Of course it's not like long range rifle shots have never been done. Bismarck hit the Hood (moving rifle to moving target) at a range between 12 and 14 miles, and the HMS Warspite hit the Giulio Cesare at around 26,000 yards, which is over 14 miles.

True but the Hood might be a slightly larger target. ;)

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    sure anybody can do this is;;what you'd expect a rifle with 5 digits in price value would perform efficiently for that kind of distance.

BS! Most people could spend just about whatever they wanted on a rifle and still never be able to make shots half that distance. Respect to these guys....

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Folks who minimize the awe of a 2 mile rifle shot have absolutely no idea of what goes into long range shooting. It is nothing like plinking away at the 100 yard line.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    It's cool and all but they prolly waited a month to get the perfect day to try it and had 10s of thousands in equipment to attempt it.

As a half-ass long distance shooter and former half-ass soldier, I can tell you with near certainty, that those shots were taken for tactical value, not records. Not saying it doesn't come to mind, but that's not why they pulled the trigger.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    BS! Most people could spend just about whatever they wanted on a rifle and still never be able to make shots half that distance. Respect to these guys....

+1
    I was going to quote that crap eariler but I figured he was trolling and I'm not much on feeding the troll's.;)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    True but the Hood might be a slightly larger target. ;)
    Nothing looks big from 12 miles away. :)

Regarding some of the other comments, I tend to agree that there's a lot more that goes into long range marksmanship than just putting crosshairs on the target.

In conversations I've had with some non-shooters over the years, I'd mentioned that my Dad and I used to go varminting, and our rifles were a Mauser 25-06 sporter, and a Sako .223, respectively. I had said that I'd pulled off some 250-300 yard shots, but when I'd explained that both of these rifles were equipped with scopes it was like, "Oh - well that explains it."

What they didn't seem to understand, that even at 300 yards, putting a shot onto moving targets of that size, at variable distances, variable elevations, (Sandhill area of Nebraska - not drastic changes in elevation, but enough) and not being bench rested, it's not simply a matter of putting crosshairs on the target and pulling the trigger. It was knowing how the rifle was zeroed, and doing a lot of estimation for the above factors. Even knowing all of that, and being a pretty good shot in terms of holding steady and having a good trigger pull, it's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Amax 750 rounds I used were about $6 each if I recall correctly. The surplus ball was mostly junk from my experience.

Surplus is good for making noise and getting some trigger time.

The Amax's, I normally see those for $5.50 and up, so $6 isn't as bad as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom