Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    doesn't look like it to me.......

BCM-BRL-SS410-12-8-2.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yet BCM still advertises them as mid-weight. There's no getting around the law here. Those barrels are banned on post-ban lowers.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Taper doesn't matter in regards to how the law is being applied. The state of MD's official position is deference to the manufacturer regarding barrel weight. BCM labels SS410 barrels as mid-weight. If you put one of those barrels on a post-ban lower, it's a felony in the eyes of MD. It's an indefensible position if you find yourself in court. MD and the local MSM will gleefully make an example out of you. Like it or not, that's reality.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It's advertised as a "Service Match Heavy Contour" in the title of their ad. I see what you're looking at further below, but its obviously not a mid weight barrel. Someone should probably contact BCM to fix that typo.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They can have a taper. The smallest diameter shouldn't be less than 0.75", ignoring the front threads.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    HBARs have no taper, correct? Will fluting change its designation?

All that matters is that the manufacturer describes it as "HBAR" or "heavy." Dimensions really don't matter. If one company makes a barrel that's .750 throughout and describes it as "heavy," it's GTG. If another company makes a barrel with the exact same dimensions but calls it "SPR profile," it's not. If the barrel comes fluted from the manufacturer and is still described as heavy, it's GTG. If you bought a heavy barrel and had it fluted after the fact, that's a grey area.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    All that matters is that the manufacturer describes it as "HBAR" or "heavy."

That's the hilarious aspect of the issue. Because of MD's official stance on deferring to the manufacturer, any pencil barrel labeled as H-BAR or Heavy is technically good to go.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    That's the hilarious aspect of the issue. Because of MD's official stance on deferring to the manufacturer, any pencil barrel labeled as H-BAR or Heavy is technically good to go.

Yep. MD doesn't really have a stance per se, as the term "heavy" isn't defined in statute or COMAR. Because of that, MSP is deferring to the manufacturer. I'm sure there's no legit company that would call a pencil barrel "heavy," but what about an individual that turns their own barrels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom