• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Leave the gas system alone, its solid and reliable. An aftermarket unpinned gas block is not reliable as the factory front sight base. The factory front sight is also your gas block and its taper pinned. You are about to make a solid and reliable rifle less reliable. You won't think its cool when if it won't run right.

Take this advice. :)

Feb 28, 2013
    Thank you everyone. This thread both annoyed me and taught me a lot about what is needed to get the job done.

Annoying because people don't seem to respect that people want what they want. That what you might find ugly, others like. I can almost feel the age ranges based on some comments. I'm 34, I'm not a veteran, LEO, or a marksman guys. I enjoy shooting for fun and that's about it. I want to customize my gun to what appeals to me aesthetically (since let's face it we live in MD, we won't get to shoot as much as we want), and those saying I'm "doing too much too soon" I thought changing handguards was one of the milder mods.
    I can appreciate that to a point.

I for one detest pic rails on just about everything except a SCAR. The only reason I have a quad rail on my Bushy is to mount my 37mm. I don't like the attitude displayed by some in the world, one of whom is part of a company that is an IP here, that anything that isn't modern is somehow unworthy. You have your fun shooters, and your SHTF tools. Like with anything else, you must use the right tool for the job.

But I must implore you to open your mind a bit. You have a wealth of info here, some sources of which replied in just this thread alone. Clandestine, for example, is one of the finest gunsmiths the craft has ever seen. We ALL have learned much from him, as could you.

I hate to see anyone ostracized because a personal reaction to a first impression. I almost fell into that trap myself.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I was like you. I needed my rifles all dressed up and cool. I bought the Magpul furniture for my first AR before I even got it.

You know where most of it is? In a drawer. I put almost everything stock back on, and even went to a fixed A2 stock. My Stag model 8 with the piston shoots like a DREAM with the rifle length buffer and stock. Wish I never went with an adjustable stock on that gun.

Soooo......... You can do what you want, we aren't the gun gestapo. What we ARE, however, are people that have bought a lot of stuff, that we don't use anymore. Think of it this way. The less stuff you buy for your existing gun, can go into buying your next gun.

Then after you get used to shooting it, you will KNOW what you want changed. For me, an ambi safety (I'm left handed), and upgraded grip (small hands). Otherwise I leave them alone.

One other thing, if Clandestine suggests, best to heed. That man has saved so many guns from an early demise, it isn't even funny. Have fun with your Colt!!!!! Look forward to more of your posts!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was like you. I needed my rifles all dressed up and cool. I bought the Magpul furniture for my first AR before I even got it.

You know where most of it is? In a drawer. I put almost everything stock back on, and even went to a fixed A2 stock. My Stag model 8 with the piston shoots like a DREAM with the rifle length buffer and stock. Wish I never went with an adjustable stock on that gun.

Soooo......... You can do what you want, we aren't the gun gestapo. What we ARE, however, are people that have bought a lot of stuff, that we don't use anymore. Think of it this way. The less stuff you buy for your existing gun, can go into buying your next gun.

Then after you get used to shooting it, you will KNOW what you want changed. For me, an ambi safety (I'm left handed), and upgraded grip (small hands). Otherwise I leave them alone.

One other thing, if Clandestine suggests, best to heed. That man has saved so many guns from an early demise, it isn't even funny. Have fun with your Colt!!!!! Look forward to more of your posts!

Most of the Colt ARs made in the past few years have reversible safeties too. Its not a well known feature.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK , it's YOUR rifle , and you can do with it as you wish.

(Prefered solution my me , and probably concencus) - Complete uppers at bargin prices are readily available from sources such as PSA . Get one with already installed LoPro gas block , install your handgaurd , and have fun.

"Simplest " solution -

Fire enought rounds thru your gun bone stock to ensure it functions properly , and throws bullets more or less at the target. Any issues with function address under warrenty before changing anything.

Then have the Front Sight Tower ,and probably bayonet lug removed. ( It can be done with hack saw/ files/ dremel, but better to pay to have it milled). Then install your prefered handgaurd and scope , and have fun.

"We" have presented practical and quasi practical other aproaches , but if you are making informed decision you want somthing else have fun.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Hey guys... Didn't abandon my thread just got busy. Those who called me a dick. I'm impressed with how quickly you analyzed me. LOL. Wow!!! Some of these comments... I won't engage... Some are willing to help so as until you don't disagree with them. Which is unfortunate. . Thank you to those who stayed on topic much knowledge was gained despite the outbursts I also learned much from the PMs I received from those who had the knowledge but weren't interested in engaging in some of the comments here. Thank you!! Such a knowledgeable forum, with a little tolerance with respect to the preferences of others this place could really blow up.

That being said, with the feedback gained from these forums I ended up with precisely what I was looking for. All I wanted was help changing my handguards :) Thanks again guys.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Yes my intent was to take the front sight off. Didn't realize gunsmithing skills was required. So it's not as simple as the YouTube videos I saw removing the front sight?

I'm not in front of the gun now, but 8" sounds about right. I believe they're standard M4 handguards? Here's what mine looks like....

http://fidelisfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AR6721-RHS.jpg

So it sounds like swapping the handguards isn't going to be an easy task.

factory Colt A2 front sights are not just pinned with a taper pin, some of them are riveted in place and require some serious work to remove.

If you are dead set on getting a free-float tube I would get a low profile gas block as well.

If not, the FAR easier option is just going to be to get handguards that will work with the delta ring you have retaining your handguards right now.

There are a lot of good ones, even ones with rails, just don't expect them to hold zero with optics, they are more for AFGs, lights, and other accessories.

I recommend the magpul MOE handguards. there are some good MLOK delta ring handguards out there as well.

Generally when building from scratch I will use a freefloat handguard since I prefer installing the freefloat barrel nut to fiddling with the damned delta ring, which has been the cause of breakage of TWO armorers tools.

Anyways, I would just keep the front sight on and get a new set of compatible handguards.

You can always get a new upper, or build one to your own specifications.

I very highly recommend nitride/melonite barrels

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Thank you everyone. This thread both annoyed me and taught me a lot about what is needed to get the job done.

Annoying because people don't seem to respect that people want what they want. That what you might find ugly, others like. I can almost feel the age ranges based on some comments. I'm 34, I'm not a veteran, LEO, or a marksman guys. I enjoy shooting for fun and that's about it. I want to customize my gun to what appeals to me aesthetically (since let's face it we live in MD, we won't get to shoot as much as we want), and those saying I'm "doing too much too soon" I thought changing handguards was one of the milder mods.

Yes everyone wants to keep the iron sights, and after shooting it maybe I will to. But you can't miss what you never had. If I start shooting with my magnified scope and I hit the target who cares how I did it? You may, but I don't. It's fun, period. If I totally suck and require iron sights, you can say "told you so".

By the way I take no offense, every forum to me is like a dysfunctional family. Every one wants to be there to help out, "care" for one another, but you also have the belligerents, and the drunk uncle in the corner shouting profanities, or telling you what you should have done. lol.

Nevertheless opinions aside I learned a lot here. That video I originally posted of Unique ARs installing a handguard confused the hell out of me because for one I didn't realize my sight was also part of the gas block. Hell I didn't know what a gas block was. Then the video showed reassembly with the new handguard but already had a low profile gas block on it. Confusing because they skipped that part. Shoddy video editing, or they thought it was obvious whereas a newbie like me didn't know.

So it appears that due to the length of my handguard, the front sight will have to come off, or at least be moved up much farther (not sure if that is even useful).

New low profile gas block will be required.

By the way while I'm confident I could do it all myself, I've decided to let my gun shop handle it. Mainly because it's likely not worth it for me to screw with it since these are likely the only mods I'll ever do to it, can't see dropping boatloads of money on this and it won't get much use. If I lived in GA it might be a different story.

I'm just babbling now but whoever said I wouldn't notice the front sights with my magnified scope was right. But my handguard is longer than stock so that front sight has to come off or move up to the front.

I went with a SIG TAC CP1 Prismatic Scope with Illuminated Reticle, while I haven't used it in a range environment yet, it's pretty nice for a cheapo (again with my limited AR and scope knowledge).

Don't solicit advice and then criticize the way it's given.

People have put effort into trying to help you, and from what I have seen you have crapped all over it.

Do some research and figure things out on your own if you're so sure about how things should be done.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hey guys... Didn't abandon my thread just got busy. Those who called me a dick. I'm impressed with how quickly you analyzed me. LOL. Wow!!! Some of these comments... I won't engage... Some are willing to help so as until you don't disagree with them. Which is unfortunate. . Thank you to those who stayed on topic much knowledge was gained despite the outbursts I also learned much from the PMs I received from those who had the knowledge but weren't interested in engaging in some of the comments here. Thank you!! Such a knowledgeable forum, with a little tolerance with respect to the preferences of others this place could really blow up.

That being said, with the feedback gained from these forums I ended up with precisely what I was looking for. All I wanted was help changing my handguards :) Thanks again guys.

Me thinks you need a HFR, because you didn't get the reaction that you wanted. Learn how to walk this terrain, and drop the attitude. You don't like what you were told, go figure your own way to do it, but don't ask us for help, because we might be too honest about what to do or what could prevent it/fix it.

I was like you when I first joined. A member smacked me down pretty hard for less that what you did. I paid attention and heeded his warning. I didn't like him after that, till I saw the wisdom in his words, and it took me about 2 weeks to get to that point.

Personally those that called you a dick were justified, because of your overall attitude towards people that you don't even know. I'll be blunt, you asked for help/advice from people that would have shown up at your house and helped you if you really needed it, but then you acted like an ass. Those same people probably won't be willing to help you in the future, because of your posts in this thread. FTR, you have no idea what kind of a resource you just slammed the door on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom