Who Makes The Best/Most Reliable 1911’s (if $ was no concern)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who Makes The Best/Most Reliable 1911’s (if $ was not a concern)?

• Colt

Votes: 33 23.7%
    • Dan Wesson

Votes: 5 3.6%
    • Nighthawk Custom

Votes: 7 5.0%
    • Wilson Combat

Votes: 16 11.5%
    • Ed Brown

Votes: 9 6.5%
    • Les Baer

Votes: 12 8.6%
    • RIA

• Springfield Armory

Votes: 19 13.7%
    • Sig Sauer

Votes: 7 5.0%
    • Kimber

• STI

• Ruger

Votes: 4 2.9%
    • S&W

Votes: 1 0.7%
    • Other (sorry if I forgot someone)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agree with lower ejection port. Although my original 1911A1, and my MkIV/S70 have never missed a beat ejecting a spent cartridge while firing, but ejecting a live cartridge from the chamber has hung up occasionally.

Throating, I disagree with. For starters, pretty much all modern 1911s come throated from the factory. Additionally, Colt supplies barrels with a throat notch similar to m4 feed ramps. But mostly because feeding issues are 99% of the time because of magazine issues, not the gun. And modifying a pistol around a mag is silly. Mags are borderline disposable, 1911s aren't.

I will say, my original 1911 gets fed a diet of hardball. And why not? Even in a defense situation, .45ACP hardball ammo is not exactly a slouch. Sure the custom 1911s I have, and the modern ones handle JHP just fine....but I would contend that throating the barrel is asking for problems in a modern 1911, especially when using hot defense ammo, because of the increased chance of a cartridge failure (less material in the throat means less case support).

Personally, I have tried Wilson, Chip, Act-mag, Pro-mag, Mecgar, Colt, Para, Check-mate, Tripp and Ed Brown mags...Colt and Check-mate are the best, hands down. I have solved quite a few ftf issues with switching mags in lieu of machine work.

And while it is easy to pick up a Dremel and "fix" a feed issue, most should not.

HUH??

You state that all modern barrels are throated, then say you would not throat a defensive pistol.

And we are talking about changes from the original, as designed, 1911/1911A1 pistol.

Throating is REQUIRED to feed anything other than hard ball. And properly done, it does not increase the depth of the unsupported segment, just increases it around the chamber entrance. Plus, .45 ACP, even in +P is a low pressure round.

I have NEVER heard of a case blowup in a 1911, even throated.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Most modern 1911’s are made built with throated barrels. How can you say throating is unnecessary? If you look closely at Rogers or Warner pistols the only thing I can say is the ramp and throat work is beyond impressive. And those are pistols built for the ‘business’ market of firearm ownership. If a barrel is throated properly the case will be safely supported for JHP or any other premium ammunition for that caliber.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Magazines. Its true, the pistol should feed from any good magazines. I use all kinds for standard pattern ammo. For SWC I do use the early release mags. Mags in my experience are more design, spring and quality in my experience.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    The only thing I like better than a 1911 is a 1911A2. My preferred carry when not in the PRoM is a very nice RIA double stack. Thousands of rounds fired, no issue. A slightly wider grip obviously but much skinnier than a Beretta M9/92 series. Bigger vs more rounds is no longer a valid argument.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The only thing I like better than a 1911 is a 1911A2. My preferred carry when not in the PRoM is a very nice RIA double stack. Thousands of rounds fired, no issue. A slightly wider grip obviously but much skinnier than a Beretta M9/92 series. Bigger vs more rounds is no longer a valid argument.

What is a 1911A2?

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    In California the handgun roster system is quite a lot more stringent than in MD, so no oversized 1911 receivers are allowed in unless they move in with a new CA resident.

I was surprised that a number of CA Bullseye smiths use Rock Island frames/slides for their builds. They’re still seeing 1.5”-2” groups at 50 yards even with unsqueezed and unfitted slides.

It goes to show how much just a properly fitted barrel and slide stop pin will get you in accuracy.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    HUH??

You state that all modern barrels are throated, then say you would not throat a defensive pistol.

And we are talking about changes from the original, as designed, 1911/1911A1 pistol.

Throating is REQUIRED to feed anything other than hard ball. And properly done, it does not increase the depth of the unsupported segment, just increases it around the chamber entrance. Plus, .45 ACP, even in +P is a low pressure round.

I have NEVER heard of a case blowup in a 1911, even throated.

Sigh. Most modern 1911s ARE throated from the factory, FURTHER throating does nothing but remove material and lessen case support.

Well I guess since YOU haven't heard of it, it must never happen. Didn't know you were omnipotent. It has happened with hot ammo that has been chambered and re chambered causing bullet setback. Also, never heard of a Delta Elite? A 10mm 1911 without full case support that can, especially with hot ammo and reloads, rupture cases. So now you have heard of it. Original DEs are kind of known for this, which is why Buffalo Bore makes 10mm ammo specifically designed NOT to be shot in a DE without a ramped barrel.

What is a 1911A2?

SMH. 1911A2 is a double stack 1911. The term was coined by Springfield Armory for their version of a double stack 1911, but is sometimes used to refer to any double stack 1911 from several manufacturers such as Para-Ord, Springer, RIA, or custom made caspian rigs. 2011 is another way they are referred to, however that term was invented by STI

It would seem you need to educate yourself on 1911s before correcting others

Last edited:

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Most modern 1911’s are made built with throated barrels. How can you say throating is unnecessary? If you look closely at Rogers or Warner pistols the only thing I can say is the ramp and throat work is beyond impressive. And those are pistols built for the ‘business’ market of firearm ownership. If a barrel is throated properly the case will be safely supported for JHP or any other premium ammunition for that caliber.

Yes they are. Barrel throating is good. Re-throating is not. Usually, when a customer wants a barrel re-throated it is because they are experiencing a 3-point jam, which is usually the fault of an out of spec or poorly designed magazine on a barrel that is already throated.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The modern SWC throat, which is what the modern 1911 barrel throat actually is, doesn’t need rethroating. No one stated that it should be. Overthroating is overthroating, period. The transistion points do need to be radiused and smoothed, the sides properly formed if the maker did not do so. Customers requesting throating and are having a three point jambs need to state they need the jambing resolved. Those jambs are dimensional and mag issues (as you stated), not a need to overthroat the barrel.

I think what has transpired is the blanket statement made that throating is unnecessary has met with informed opposition. The 1911 industry itself has indicated that.

cfiolx

Sep 17, 2013
    Years ago I had an old Colt Gold Cup that could not handle JHPs, as in a jam every 3-4 rounds. So I sold it and bought a S&W Dan Koenig and later a Kimber and have had no problems cycling any JHPs in it. I wanted to be able to shoot JHPs in case of a Mau Mau uprising or similar - ergo a Zombie Apocalypse.

cfiolx

Sep 17, 2013
    Gold Cup had JHPs issues

Years ago I had an old Colt Gold Cup that could not handle JHPs, as in a jam every 3-4 rounds. So I sold it and bought a S&W Dan Koenig and later a Kimber. I have had no problems cycling any JHPs on either of those. I wanted to be able to shoot JHPs in case of a Mau Mau uprising or similar - ergo a Zombie Apocalypse.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Gold Cups are optimized primarily for SWC 185 grain target ammunition ammunition but I would I still expect them...especially modern examples...to feed hollow points. Your Gold Cup could have had the wrong recoil spring for your ammunition...they use a 14 pound spring rather than the 16 pound the non-Gold Cups use. Whether the could have been an issue I can't say. Depending on how old that pistol was it might not have had a throated barrel as was common at one time.

Mar 15, 2014
    The para ordnance made in canada has a ramped barrel. I think they moved to the usa now and not sure about quality changes or not.
    I had a p13-45 and p16-40 both were excellent with anything i put through them.

vicb

Feb 28, 2010
    Anyone have a Taurus? I've been looking at one, reviews seem pretty good.
    I've had a Taurus .45 for ~10 years (probably only 2K rounds thru it) but I have never had any issues at all. Its a wonderful gun. I'd highly recommend it.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I've had a Taurus .45 for ~10 years (probably only 2K rounds thru it) but I have never had any issues at all. Its a wonderful gun. I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Its funny everyone who owns one loves them and those that don't want to bash them. Im going with Taurus. Ive looked at a lot of the lower priced 1911s and the Taurus seems like the best "bang" for the buck! I want a shooter not a safe queen.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I think what has transpired is the blanket statement made that throating is unnecessary has met with informed opposition. The 1911 industry itself has indicated that.

What has transpired is a miscommunication. I said that most modern 1911s come throated from the factory. I also stated that a defensive 1911 doesn't need to be throated (i.e. re-throated, or over throated) because it would have already been throated from the factory. (There aren't too many original 1911s being used as defensive handguns, and even less that should be throated due to devaluing of a classic handgun).

I have nothing against throating and making sure that the feed way of the 1911 is reliable. However I do have a problem with owners removing material from frames and barrels that doesn't need removing.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The para ordnance made in canada has a ramped barrel. I think they moved to the usa now and not sure about quality changes or not.
    I had a p13-45 and p16-40 both were excellent with anything i put through them.

The Paras made in FL were pretty crappy, with even worse mags. Many examples were jammy(even with a ramped barrel) with railed models having rails that were not square with the frame, and out of spec parts like sear springs. (The double stack models were the worst offenders)

The (later) models made in NC were excellent, employing EGW internals and better slide and frame QA

I do know that they are now part of the freedom group, and have not handled any new ones after being taken over.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I am very happy with my 38 super Les Baer. I have not suffered a problem with the pistol. Therefore, for me, it is reliable. However, "best" is an idiosyncratic judgement.
    JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom