Have to send my C308 back for warranty, what to expect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I have to send my C308 back to century, how is thier warranty service? Also I've never had to ship back a gun, must this be done VIA ffl or may I UPS?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    FedEx, UPS I think will do it, but there are hoops, although I have never used them

Fedex just go to a fedex store like Fedex/Kinkos and you're golden.

If at all possible, just print the label, package the thing yourself, and drop it off.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and as for Century's warranty service, it is not too bad

I had to send an AK back to them after my dumb shit cousin FIRED MY WASR UNDERWATER IN HIS POOL and stripped large portions of the chrome lining out

I was up front with them about it, and they told me they would take care of it.

They did not pay for shipping though.

Took about a month and a half from the time I sent it off to it showing up at my door, they called me with a tracking number when it was sent.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I am as well. I purchased one and it needed a good cleaning. There were small shards of metal in the area in front of the charging handle.
    The pin that holds the charging handle in catches on the hole on top of the charging handle tube and scrapes prices of metal off. This only can happen when the charging handle is not under spring a pressure.

Anyway, I have not fired it yet so I cant say anything about the function. But it was full of metal shards prior to cleaning.

After cleaning them out and lubing it liberally it is much smoother to cycle by hand.

One of the mags was rusty inside. So I cleaned that up and lubed it to prevent further damage.

I am interested in a full range report and plan on eventually writing one up after I get to the range with this thing. Time has been tight.

To the op can you please elaborate?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You guys who have purchased them, its would be wise to go shoot them and run it through its paces. If I recall correctly, the century warranty is only 90 days. I have not experienced good luck with their C.S.. In a few cases I had to send rifles back 5 times and they were forced to replace them eventually. These were C93 clones and AKM Clones.

GOOD parts for this rifle are not in excessive supply.

AS far as shipping, no FFL is needed. You will likely have to take the rifle (Already boxed up) to a UPS or FedEx Terminal. Places like the UPS store will not ship firearms and I would bet FedEx stores are the same. UPS Stores are NOT UPS.

You can also use the USPS since its a rifle.

Its possible that the carrier may want to see proof that the destination is a FFL, so be prepared to prove it.

You HAVE to declare the firearm with the carrier you choose.

If you so ship it I suggest buying a cheap foam case foam case and then place the cased rifle in a box. It will minimize chances of damage. You DONT want to have to deal with any of the carriers if they damage or lose your firearm, they are a pain in the arse.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I am as well. I purchased one and it needed a good cleaning. There were small shards of metal in the area in front of the charging handle.
    The pin that holds the charging handle in catches on the hole on top of the charging handle tube and scrapes prices of metal off. This only can happen when the charging handle is not under spring a pressure.

Anyway, I have not fired it yet so I cant say anything about the function. But it was full of metal shards prior to cleaning.

After cleaning them out and lubing it liberally it is much smoother to cycle by hand.

One of the mags was rusty inside. So I cleaned that up and lubed it to prevent further damage.

I am interested in a full range report and plan on eventually writing one up after I get to the range with this thing. Time has been tight.

To the op can you please elaborate?

if you are seeing shards of metal, you need to correct the issue rather than masking the symptoms

You can either send it in for warranty, or disassmble to mechanism and find the issue, which it could be two things, or more likely, and mix of both

There is almost certainly a sharp angle on the pin. File it down and round it over, then buff it shiny and smooth.

The bigger problem is that if metal shards are coming off that means that the two pieces rubbing are of differing hardnesses to the point where it becomes an issue.

I don't know if your is the exception or the rule, but that is bad news for a mechanism with any kind of direct mechanical interaction.

if you round the edge and buff it glass smooth even if it is much harder, the pin should not gouge any more.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    You guys who have purchased them, its would be wise to go shoot them and run it through its paces. If I recall correctly, the century warranty is only 90 days. I have not experienced good luck with their C.S.. In a few cases I had to send rifles back 5 times and they were forced to replace them eventually. These were C93 clones and AKM Clones.

GOOD parts for this rifle are not in excessive supply.

AS far as shipping, no FFL is needed. You will likely have to take the rifle (Already boxed up) to a UPS or FedEx Terminal. Places like the UPS store will not ship firearms and I would bet FedEx stores are the same. UPS Stores are NOT UPS.

You can also use the USPS since its a rifle.

Its possible that the carrier may want to see proof that the destination is a FFL, so be prepared to prove it.

You HAVE to declare the firearm with the carrier you choose.

If you so ship it I suggest buying a cheap foam case foam case and then place the cased rifle in a box. It will minimize chances of damage. You DONT want to have to deal with any of the carriers if they damage or lose your firearm, they are a pain in the arse.

FedEx storefronts will take it, but you have to declare it and it can be a pain in the ass.

I think you are spot on about it being worth the drive to the terminal

Feb 28, 2013
    So far the only issue with mine was the bolt sticking to the rear after pulling the charging handle. A little grease fixed that right up.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    chimphammer.jpg

Don't worry, you're rifle is in good hands. ;)

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm thinking Century lived up to their reputation with these C308 rifles.:sad20:
    A friend of mine picked one up and it's having the same issue, bolt sticking to the rear, shaving metal, generally a turd.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I'm thinking Century lived up to their reputation with these C308 rifles.:sad20:
    A friend of mine picked one up and it's having the same issue, bolt sticking to the rear, shaving metal, generally a turd.
    Mine actually exibited none of those issues qnd stand by my opinion that for 700 its not thay bad of a rifle. Fit and finish seems good and it fires nicely and I was getting less then 3 inch groupings at 100 yds and could do better once I get used to the rifle. Recoil was surprisingly light. I will say mags are hard to get out. However I do have another issue altogether that I cant talk about. Once I get mine back I plan on doing a full review.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bought one of these a few years ago when they were going for $500 and had a flash suppressor installed. The bolt was so worn even the next two size up rollers couldn't fix the head space problem. I ended up buying a new, complete BCG and pulled the bolt off of it to get the rifle within specs. Once that was replace, it ran like a top. I hated the button mag release, it was too far for trigger finger use and really tough to get with the off hand. I ended up selling it and about 30 G3 mags for $600, so no loss there. The rifle itself is great, but you really need to check everything on it before your warranty expires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom