• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D-Log

Jan 29, 2015
    Reisterstown
    I just got my tax refund check, and I wa looking to do an AR 15 build, but I have the opportunity to get a Bushmaster M4A3. Got a few quick questions about it:

1. How does Bushmaster compare to say a Del-ton build? If I can get the Bushmaster for under $600, would I be saving money?

2. I check Maryland's list of banned guns, and it appears to be on there. Is it legal for me to purchase this rifle as a private sale? Is there a 7 day waiting period? What forms would I have to fill out (according to the seller, it's just a bill of sale, but this doesn't seem right to me).

I'm really concerned more about the legality of the purchase than anything else. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Quite a few Industry Partners here sell lowers and legal heavy-barrel uppers for a build that can get you close to $600.

Click on forums at the top of the home page and look for Industry Partners

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    "Del-Ton" and you have to make sure the AR Rifle is in an HBAR/Heavy Barrel Configuration...any other barrel type on a complete Rifle is Banned...and don't forget that the 20 or 30rd mag that comes with the rifle is a nogo also...when purchased with the rifle...

D-Log

Jan 29, 2015
    Reisterstown
    That's what I figured... Because of the price I was tempted, but I wanted to make sure everything was done legally. I was looking at a 16" HBAR kit, think I'm going to go ahead with that now. Thanks for the help!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just build out a rifle and make what you really want.

You can buy uppers made to your specs for relatively cheap on many places on the web.

I recently did a build on one of my pre 10/1 lowers, and after outfitting it the way I wanted it, with a nitrided M-4 profile barrel and everything just the way I wanted it. Total expenditure was about 500 bucks not including initial purchase of the lower.

holyshitgroup.jpg

here's a group she turned out the other day.

I might be biased, but I've done a LOT OF RESEARCH, some of it costly, on the subject, and I HIGHLY recommend going with a nitrided/melonited/QPQ/Black Nitride barrel

I used to be a hard core chrome fan boy, and still am at heart- but once I saw how well nitrided AK barrels were holding up to steel cased bi-metal jacketed bullets in a few AK builds, not to mention the INCREDIBLE accuracy of said barrels, I switched to nitride for first all my AK barrels, then pretty much all my barrels.

That is neither here nor there though.

Find what you want, and make it.

If you get the ready made of the shelf rifle, you will spend a few hundred dollars outfitting it with what you want anyways, better to just get what you want in the first place.

Oh, and don't be afraid of using polymer lowers so long as they are decent quality, just MAKE SURE YOU STAKE YOUR CASTLE NUT.

I highly recommend a QD mount somewhere on the rifle, the retaining plate is a good way to go if you don't want to spring for a fancy stock.

Feb 28, 2013
    2. I check Maryland's list of banned guns, and it appears to be on there.

It's not. The Bushy referred to in the banned list was a completely different animal, and the current entity didn't exist yet. The original Bushmaster referred to a MODEL from Gwynn Firearms, not a MAKE.

Is it legal for me to purchase this rifle as a private sale?

Unfortunately, no. The MSP has taken the position that, due to the vagueness of the banned list, it extends to the current name as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom