• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My rails look like a Magpul abortion, but I kind of like it that way. I use all types of ladders and panels but they all get covered. My main function is comfort. I like the full textured panels on the bottom, rail covers on the top and panels on the sides.

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have a silly question... For flat-top uppers that have a standard a2 front sight post - won't the front sight interfere with an optics setup ala red-dot or other scope? Are these just designed for iron sites or are they expecting most people to change the gas block? Also, would a low profile block work or look funny if it doesn't have a free-float rail that covers it?

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a silly question... For flat-top uppers that have a standard a2 front sight post - won't the front sight interfere with an optics setup ala red-dot or other scope??

If your talking eotech or aim point people zero in the red dot to the front sight. If your talking like for me and my Acog I don't even see the front sight its a small blur.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Quimby is right on. Also - you can put a low profile gas block on a rifle, even if the rails don't cover it. I've seen plenty of them. The purpose of a low profile gas block is to fit under a rail system, though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a silly question... For flat-top uppers that have a standard a2 front sight post - won't the front sight interfere with an optics setup ala red-dot or other scope? Are these just designed for iron sites or are they expecting most people to change the gas block? Also, would a low profile block work or look funny if it doesn't have a free-float rail that covers it?
    To echo quimby, what you're "supposed" to do is buy a rear backup iron sight and use the iron sights to co-witness with your red dot sight. If you've got it sighted in correctly, the red dot will line up on the tip of front sight when looking through the rear sight.

You can buy gas blocks with rails on them, which will remove the weirdness of standard handguards if you're planning on going without iron sights completely (which might be perfectly fine on a range gun). Brownells even makes a modular kit, which seems pretty nice (albeit perhaps a bit expensive):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ks0zUdq51Q

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Quick inquiry on twist rates. I know that faster twist rates are good for longer projectiles (which are usually heavier). Is a 1:7 twist rate too much for the lighter 55g stuff?

Solve for X, Y and Z, please. :D

1:9 - good for X-Y gr
    1:8 - good for Y-Z gr
    1:7 - good for Z gr and heavier

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    maybe something like this :

Solve for X, Y and Z, please. :D

1:9 - good for Remington/ PMC Bronze/Brown Bear/Wolf 55gr
    1:8 - good for Privi Match 69 gr Boat Tail Match
    1:7 - good for Hornaday BTHP Match 75 gr / Privi Match HP 75gr/ your own load

edit didnt answer the question....

you trying to buy/build a competition barrel ? The best answer from my reading is this .....

I also vote for the 7 twist over the 9 twist. The most common of the bullets people shoot are the 55 grain ones, and they'll both shoot them fine, but the 7 twist will allow you to shoot the 70+ grain stuff that the 9 twist most likely won't stabilize.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've heard that 1:7 rates will end up destabilizing the lighter stuff past 100 yards, but I have no idea if it's true. It's more of a plinker/carbine than a precision gun, but I'd like the option to shoot heavier stuff if 55gr will perform out to 200 yards.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^ thats what I have read... I shot 62 gr privi out of my 1:9 mid length to 200 yards. I was using an AGOC @ 100 I was dead on , took 3 shots at 200 and hit the tip of the target then got lazy to run out again and make adjustments since I didn't have a spotting scope.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ^ thats what I have read... I shot 62 gr privi out of my 1:9 mid length to 200 yards. I was using an AGOC @ 100 I was dead on , took 3 shots at 200 and hit the tip of the target then got lazy to run out again and make adjustments since I didn't have a spotting scope.

use a 50 yd zero
    Zerobulletpaths[1].jpg

at 100 it's about 1.5" high and at 200 it's about .7" high......soo you'll hit about the same place at both distances

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I could have rushed the 3 shots just to see if I could get a hit that far. Because I had a 100 yard zero so in this case I should have shot low but in reality shot high

I also like to use this website :

http://www.norma.cc/default.asp?Lang=2

Top right hand corner click ballistic and use the US one this also help with height of sight line

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've heard that 1:7 rates will end up destabilizing the lighter stuff past 100 yards, but I have no idea if it's true. It's more of a plinker/carbine than a precision gun, but I'd like the option to shoot heavier stuff if 55gr will perform out to 200 yards.

I read somewhere that the lighter faster bullets (40gr) will sometimes just blow up from the faster twist barrel due to very high spin rates and very thin jackets. Blow up outside of the barrel in mid air on the way to the target to be clear. I have never experienced it nor do i know of anyone who has. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom