• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    one of the prereqs is a concealed Carry license. Does the Non Resident NH one count?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I mean, hell, I could possibly talk a neighbor in to that. Not sure I could talk my wife in to an overnight road trip to go buy a rifle.

You want to go to Camp Perry to see the National Matches. If you happen to find a good deal, in the CMP Store, while you are there is just a lucky coincidence. :innocent0

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Is the HQL is good enough to satisfy for this requirement?

“MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Anybody ever visit the CMP "store" and buy an M1 there? Cash and carry as long as you meet the purchase requirements?

Yes, plus you get to select the rifle you want and any accessories (bayonet, sling, oiler, etc) and ammo.

I always stop buy the Anniston store when I visit friends and relatives in Georgia. I hit the northern store when I go out for the Pistol Championships at Camp Perry.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

You will need a copy of your live fire results. I would call the CMP to make sure they will accept it.
    Proof of marksmanship
    participation can be provided by documenting any of the
    following:
    • Current or past military or law enforcement service.
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun
    competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included
    live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of
    completion or a statement from the instructor).
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    • Concealed Carry License.
    Firearms Owner Identification Card that includes live
    fire training.

• FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included
    live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law
    enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A
    form for use in completing and certifying your range
    firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/marksmanship.pdf.
    • No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.
    Proof of club membership and citizenship required for
    all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is only required for
    purchase of rifles.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

I have always suggested to Monumental Club members to use the Certification from range or club official or law
    enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity using the form downloaded from the CMP web site at
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/marksmanship.pdf.

As long as the member has shot in any of our clubs events, we (club officers) would sign-off on the form along with the CMP form concerning CMP club membership.

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Thanks for the info: cantstop and mcbruzdzinski.

I shoot at AGC occasionally. I’ll try to see my club officers if they could certify the form from CMP website. Otherwise, I have to take one of the NRA courses in order to fulfill this requirement. Worst case scenario, I’ll just wait ‘til I turned 60.

Again, thank you guys for the input.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Thanks for the info: cantstop and mcbruzdzinski.

I shoot at AGC occasionally. I’ll try to see my club officers if they could certify the form from CMP website. Otherwise, I have to take one of the NRA courses in order to fulfill this requirement. Worst case scenario, I’ll just wait ‘til I turned 60.

Again, thank you guys for the input.

It's only $30 to get a C&R License. :lol2::lol2::lol2: <-- your bank account may disagree after BBT drops off your first pistol.

Orlando

I have personally handled many hundreds of Field Grades garands and I would never take a chance on mail order
    Many had a muzzle wear of up to 7 which is still in the grade description but in need of a barrel replacement.
    You cannot rely on what others post pictures of, if you do you may be very dissapointed. Someone will post on how they got a FG and it was beautiful etc,etc. Yes it happens but is not the norm. Everyone brags when theY get a gem but no one posts pictures of the low end FG
    Have you ever read the grade description? If so expect to get exactly that and if you get anything better it will be a plus
    If you have a chance to hand pick a Field Grade at a store they are defiantly worth a look,

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay. Ya’ll have convinced me. SG is the way to go.

I think I missed it if someone said it, do they only charge your credit card when they ship it (well, or right before). In some ways I have a better chance of convincing my wife to let me and if somehow they turn it around in a week or two “well $/@, honey. They said 2-4 months!”

Easier to say it’ll take a few months and they’ll charge me when it ships.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is straight from their web site...good luck.

Attachments

• 3B73DDE0-F43B-4A72-AD0C-BBE677DD22CC.jpg
      3B73DDE0-F43B-4A72-AD0C-BBE677DD22CC.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 341

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

PS and to a degree if it was just a Garand and it wasn’t for the fact it is getting shipped to our door, I’d just not mention it to her. She is vaguely okay with that (we’ve talked about it), but having a big package with a rifle in it show up is going to bring questions and I am comfortable with lies of omission when she has sort of okayed that, not actual lies. A $300 rifle I’d just sneak in to the safe.

You can arrange for FedEx to hold your package. Then you can pick it up yourself and smuggle it in the back door while she's in the shower.

Yes, they charge your credit card when it ships, not before.
    I have called the bank and told them to expect a big charge from the CMP, Anniston, Al-a-BAM-a, just to prevent delays.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I shoot at AGC occasionally. I’ll try to see my club officers if they could certify the form from CMP website. ...

I got the RSO to sign off on mine. I printed it out, put it on a clipboard with a pen, and asked the RSO to watch me shoot, and sign the form if he thought me worthy. I left the clipboard on one of those little tables behind the line, and just did some shooting. At the next cease fire, the form had magically been signed.

The key here is to be very, very careful not to kill anybody while doing this, or you can pretty much forget about getting that paper signed.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thanks

It is not a prereq. You don't need a CCW to get a Garand!

It is just one of many, many acceptable ways you can qualify!

Thanks!! Just got off the phone with a real nice lady from the Ohio office. I can use that. I live up the street from the Issac Walton in Germantown. I hear the pistols over the weekends :) I have wanted to join and now have another reason. Cool. She said like a month or so for the Philipines and Turkey ones.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The NRA published an article on the newly imported M1 Garands, 1911's and some rifles and carbines in South Korea.
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/2/6/107-000-repatriated-garands-and-milsurp-1911s-on-cmp-racks/

More to come?
    And while the present 107,000 milsurp rifles and pistols are good news for CMP, collectors and competitors, there is more on the horizon. South Korea has approximately 80,000 M1 Garands and about 600,000 M1 Carbines loaned to that country under MAP. South Korea aborted an attempt to sell those loaned firearms to U.S. importers a few years ago. CMP is hopeful that these will also eventually be repatriated and passed on to the American citizen.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The NRA published an article on the newly imported M1 Garands, 1911's and some rifles and carbines in South Korea.
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/2/6/107-000-repatriated-garands-and-milsurp-1911s-on-cmp-racks/

Six huna kay carbines! Yes please! I’ll take 3!!!

I hope this either keeps the price steady or drops it. I really don’t need 10, but I’d like to get an SG in the next couple of months (wife okayed it, she gets a shiny ring first and then I can another gun or two (three or four if she isn’t counting them all)).

But I’d love to have more than just one some day if that is a possibility. An FG that can be cleaned up would be nice also. One for hunting and “beating around” and one for keeping in the safe and the rare range trip.

No I wouldn’t take one hunting much. I’ve done it, a B to carry, but still kind of fun.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies and help! Best gun community around!

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    From my correspondence with the CMP, a HQL does satisfy the shooting requirement.

Looking forward to my first garand in the next couple of months...

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Got an email today from CMP that my order has been received. The paperwork has been forwarded to sales department for processing.

Again, thanks to cantstop and mcbruzdzinski of guidance both provided for first purchase of M1 Garand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom