Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 29th, 2018, 08:56 AM #11

Zero chance .

The statute requiring xx feet from this , and yy feet from that , leaves literally no place to open a gun store in DC .

Meanwhile to keep up appearences , and try to head off lawsuits , the sole FFL was allowed to use a desk in PD HQ .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:07 AM #12

Half of DC is probably already prohibited
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schipperke View Post
Half of DC is probably already prohibited
And that's just the politicians
jtb81100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:46 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
But requiring identification to vote is a nazi-level crime against humanity civil rights violation.

Okay, got it.
Yep. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

"But guns and the NRA are evil, and the 2A is outdated anyway" is the antigunner's mantra so therein lies the statist's justification, in their twisted minds, to make the process so expensive and time consuming that it's virtually prohibitive.
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM #15

That touches upon an interesting point , the % of Prohibited Persons . Short answer is very difficult to get numbers on comparitive basis.

But , if we oversimplify to population over 18 with felony convictions, there is some information.

As of 2010 , Nationwide :

Overall - 8.6%
Black - 25%
Non-Black combined - 6.5%

Overall numbers can vary considerably by state , the source ( libertariannews (dot) org ) , quoted Fla as 14% overall , 35% Black .

And while women's lib is slowly closing the gap , still heavily skewed to males for felony convictions .
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:22 PM #16

DC doesnt have much of a difference when it comes to prohibited areas than most dense urban metros. of pubic space in DC at least 90% is not prohibited. Almost in private property almost no retail or restaurants are prohibited. The informed consent on private residences is the biggest limit, but that is not unique to DC

also post seems to be cylcing old numbers. They and the DC government want to imply it is fringe.

Here is hte thing. the peer reivwed studies, that the gun control goups themselves cite -- say DC has a 25.9% gun ownership rate.

The Post will NEVER publish that number alongside the MPD numbers on legal gun owners. Because they do not want to say that after decades of gun bans, that 1/4 of DC, ie about 40% of adult males in DC are in felony possession of a gun.

Population: 671,000
Total gun owners in DC: 172,000
Legal civilians , law enforcement and federal agents who can legally possess in DC combined:12,000 Maximum
Illegal gun owners and/or illegal carriers: 160,000

Last edited by rascal; January 31st, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 07:13 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
3 or 4 reasons .

After zero handguns between 1972 and Heller , and highly cumbersome procedures to purchase for generations before that ( source , my Dad's experiences in early 1950s ) , Wash DC has extremely low rates of firearm ownership of any type, or even awareness of lawful gun ownership , among long time residents. It's increasing , but from very low starting point.

People coming to DC from outside for job or political reasons self select . If they are gun people , they don't relocate into the actual District , but instead Va or Md . Also ties into statistic on Non-Resident. Many of those work , or have close ties to DC , and if DC was closer to national norms , would have been residents .

And the time , hassle , and $$$ involved discourage applicants . Heck has even been working on Me . If Md had a process like DC , I'd be on it in a heartbeat, along with 2 or 3 more people from my household. But DC ? Where I rarely go by choice , and usually with other things limiting me ? I've had to pragmatically put DC CCW on back burner for imeadate future . But. "Someday " I will .
I think it's likely higher than most people imagine. A lot of people have an unregistered firearm stashed in the house, and I'm not just talking about gang bangers. But, you're correct that it's not like VA.
IJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:19 PM #18

Ok , I'll rephrase , very low rates of legal and/ or acknowledged in polite company , by otherwise law abiding citizens .

And 1972 was going on 46yrs ago . Would make a then legal aged person a minimum of 67yo , more typically 70s and 80's . Most of the old timers who remember to when guns in DC weren't absolutely Evil are dead , or retired in Fla .
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:28 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJM View Post
I think it's likely higher than most people imagine. A lot of people have an unregistered firearm stashed in the house, and I'm not just talking about gang bangers. But, you're correct that it's not like VA.
The peer reviewed studies say DC has 25.9%
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cont...oj6vx0laFZMsQ2
(see page 3).

Higher rate than Maryland.

sure I have my criticism of that study's but it is one used by scores of other studies by gun control advocacy researchers, and it is kinda funny since it shows 1/4 of DC residents -- likely 95% Democrats -- are in criminal possession of a firearm and don't care about gun laws

Maybe 1,500 of DC's 4,000 current and retired cops are residents of the District.
Maybe 1,500 of the 3,000 federal officers empowered to carry are residents of the districts
About 4,000 to 5,000 non law enforcement civilians hold the ~8,000 registered guns.

so maybe 0.5% of the 25.9% who possess guns in DC do so legally

Also interesting:

Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and/or used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on suicide say DC has a 3% or 4% gun ownership rate, since using that number supports their claims on suicide. DC has the lowest suicide rate in the country so they pick a DC gun ownership number that fits their narrative that less guns = less suicide
Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and or/used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on murder say DC has 25.9% gun ownership, since that number supports their claims on homicide. DC has a very high homicide rate, so they pick a high DC gun ownership number to fit their narrative that more guns = more murder.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:32 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
The peer reviewed studies say DC has 25.9%
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cont...oj6vx0laFZMsQ2
(see page 3).

Higher rate than Maryland.

sure I have my criticism of that study's but it is one used by scores of other studies by gun control advocacy researchers, and it is kinda funny since it shows 1/4 of DC residents -- likely 95% Democrats -- are in criminal possession of a firearm and don't care about gun laws

Maybe 1,500 of DC's 4,000 current and retired cops are residents of the District.
Maybe 1,500 of the 3,000 federal officers empowered to carry are residents of the districts
About 4,000 to 5,000 non law enforcement civilians hold the ~8,000 registered guns.

so maybe 0.5% of the 25.9% who possess guns in DC do so legally

Also interesting:

Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and/or used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on suicide say DC has a 3% or 4% gun ownership rate, since using that number supports their claims on suicide. DC has the lowest suicide rate in the country so they pick a DC gun ownership number that fits their narrative that less guns = less suicide
Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and or/used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on murder say DC has 25.9% gun ownership, since that number supports their claims on homicide. DC has a very high homicide rate, so they pick a high DC gun ownership number to fit their narrative that more guns = more murder.
You have a cite for that?
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.