• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I'm looking for a chunk of railway line to build an anvil (anvils are pretty costly, but if you know of an inexpensive place for these I would be interested too). Does anyone know where I can find some rail? Not looking to go out to an abandoned track and have at it, but figured somewhere on the eastern shore might have some scrapped. Anyone know of a place? Thanks.

DentonDog

May 18, 2017
    Caroline Co, MD
    Have you tried Bullock Construction on MD328 and Kingston Landing Rd? They are a railroad construction business and have rail stacked up in their lot. Possibly they'd sell you a section. Their phone is 410-763-7250.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm looking for a chunk of railway line to build an anvil (anvils are pretty costly, but if you know of an inexpensive place for these I would be interested too). Does anyone know where I can find some rail? Not looking to go out to an abandoned track and have at it, but figured somewhere on the eastern shore might have some scrapped. Anyone know of a place? Thanks.

Anvils are not necessary for beginners according to some on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWd0bMVSOU

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Anvils are not necessary for beginners according to some on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWd0bMVSOU

No you do not need an anvil to blacksmith. More blacksmiths around the world probably use something other than a "proper" anvil but whatever they pound on is called an anvil. Take a look at some of these videos especially the ones from primitive countries to see what can be used.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Primitive+blacksmithing

You also don't need a bottom draft forge, centrifugal blowers, or coal, etc.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Caroline county, but I work over the bridge in DC and Southern MD as well as the Salisbury area.

Ok. You are quite far. My brother has one he may be persuaded out of but I doubt you would want to drive that far to get a piece of railroad track.

Have you tried a railroad yard local to you? Talk to an employee. They may just give you a piece that is laying around.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Ok. You are quite far. My brother has one he may be persuaded out of but I doubt you would want to drive that far to get a piece of railroad track.

Have you tried a railroad yard local to you? Talk to an employee. They may just give you a piece that is laying around.

Also try WMATA and the Baltimore Metro. Both have Rail Maintenance shops that may be able to help you.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I may be able to help you out. I am in the same county also. I will check it out tomorrow when it is not raining. Send me a PM with your info and I will be in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom