• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    A little off-base from the normal C&R postings here, but I just picked up an awesome piece of C&R history. While at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show I found out about the existence of the Pattern 1913 sword and decided I simply had to have one. Out of three I saw for sale, I picked mine up for exactly 500 (not sure how I did on pricing here).

As displayed below, it's in good overall condition with some usage wear on the scabbard and some patina from age. The blade is still very sharp and has no dings, but the leather padding around the hilt that cushions it when the sword is sheathed is loose. I may look into getting that piece reconditioned and secured to protect the sword from damage when drawn and sheathed.

Overall, I love the design and history of these swords and will probably look into other offerings in the future to add to my wall (literally).

P-_Sword_L-_Scabbard.jpg

P-_Sword_R-_Scabbard.jpg

P-_Sword_L-_Blade.jpg

P-_Sword_R-_Blade.jpg

P-_Sword_Serial.jpg

P-_Sword_Maker.jpg

P-_Sword_Hilt.jpg

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    That’s awesome. Oddly enough, right before the show ended, one of the guys working with the dealer next to me picked up a really nice one for $350. His was made in 1918.

Kinda makes me want to get one to go with my Swiss M1899 Officer’s Sword...

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Story goes it was designed by patton. At a time with fewer officers in the army/ cavalry and they had an apportunity to stand out.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Beautiful sword. I have one of the Pattern 1913 practice swords marked RIA 1914. It's a stout don't-mess-with-me piece of hickory. I have read that there are probably more surviving practice pieces than surviving swords because many of the Pattons were re-made into bayonets during the Great War.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'd like to also ask a question about the sword. As can be somewhat seen in the pictures, the leather hilt padding meant to pad the hilt while in the scabbard has come loose. Anyone know how to get it re-adhered properly or be able to say yay or nay to doing this minor restoration? I'm looking to preserve the sword as much as possible without causing damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom