• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    That is definitely something I will want to look into.

I am kind of reluctant about shooting it. Paraphrasing Threeband's point about if the breech were to shear it would be aimed right at your eye....

However, once I get a stock on it, I know I will be itching to fire it. Maybe use a bench rest and string.

I will want to see how it fires before and after modifying the rifling.

What about a larger caliber? Would I also have to modify the breech? Also strengthen the barrel?
    Dust off my Material Science text book... Second thought. Nope.

Thanks for your suggestion...

The first thing I would do is disassemble the breech block mechanism and check the condition of the pivot pins for the rolling blocks. My thought is they are the parts which would be under the most stress during firing. Are those still available from Numrich? If so, you may want to replace them with modern steel pins and keep the originals for historical reasons.

If you install a barrel liner, it would be made of modern steel, so would help strengthen the barrel. Even so, I would start with .22 Short rounds and a string to pull the trigger for the first test before moving up to .22 Long and finally, .22 Long Rifle. I would definitely not want to try any high-velocity rounds in a rifle that old.

Larry Potterfield of Midway USA did one of his projects to do exactly what you're thinking about. Here's one of the videos about installing a barrel liner:

And, if you run this search, you'll get about 20 videos from Midway related to Remington Rolling Block rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=midway+usa+larry+rolling+block

Sounds like a fun project!

JoeR

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    The first thing I would do is disassemble the breech block mechanism and check the condition of the pivot pins for the rolling blocks. My thought is they are the parts which would be under the most stress during firing. Are those still available from Numrich? If so, you may want to replace them with modern steel pins and keep the originals for historical reasons.

If you install a barrel liner, it would be made of modern steel, so would help strengthen the barrel. Even so, I would start with .22 Short rounds and a string to pull the trigger for the first test before moving up to .22 Long and finally, .22 Long Rifle. I would definitely not want to try any high-velocity rounds in a rifle that old.

Larry Potterfield of Midway USA did one of his projects to do exactly what you're thinking about. Here's one of the videos about installing a barrel liner:

And, if you run this search, you'll get about 20 videos from Midway related to Remington Rolling Block rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=midway+usa+larry+rolling+block

Sounds like a fun project!

JoeR

Thanks for the links and advice. I watched the video about lining the barrel and I saw several others on stock refinishing on YouTube I am amazed at all of available videos and articles.

In the past few days I have learned so much interesting things.

What do you think about taking off the years of build up on the barrel and receiver. I saw one video doing just that by using Hoppers No 9 Bore Cleaner and Steel Wool. I kind of like the look, but then again seeing the steel barrel with a little "petina" looks good too.

Here is the build up:
    df1251a9ba7491b420e4ff707cce7218.jpg

2d0278e023d8252c3e884abc4dc97663.jpg
    c0378489dce7294ea460604893ade927.jpg

33be73cab8fd4abf2cc3bca625c3e989.jpg

Thanks again,
    John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Don't try to clean it up by any aggressive actions. Collectors are generally horrified by aggressive cleaning, "prettying," and especially refinishing, which destroys collector value.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Don't try to clean it up by any aggressive actions. Collectors are generally horrified by aggressive cleaning, "prettying," and especially refinishing, which destroys collector value.

That's where I am having issues. When I watch the videos online they repair everything (i.e. steaming small dents in wooden stocks, etc.). The one I believe is Model 2 (octagonal barrel) if you look at the pictures of the receiver, you can see a varnish like film encapsulating the steel. I want to remove this film, hoping that the patina steel, if that is a correct phrase, will show better lightly oiled. But I don't know if that is a bad thing to do to its "collectibility". At this point, I don't even know if these are of any real value. I watched a video and they took that "varnish" off of the rifle using steel wool and Hoppe's No. 9.

But with all that said, I have learned so much in the past few days about these rifles from you and others direction, which is the main thing I want accomplish.

Right now I have them dissembled, excluding removing the barrel from reciever. So my next phase is cataloging what parts are missing and what parts need replacing.

Next I need to start researching what is involved with restoration/preservation of them. I hope the gun show next weekend will help in that required. I will also search the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I have an early #4 takedown. One of the tangs on the breech block is broken. Any one know where to get one? I’ve searched most of the parts dealers online. Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom