• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    I use the one shot exclusively, and early on had some issues with it. Not sure if I wasn't letting it dry completely or it was the range brass(LC stuff) that caused 2 stuck cases or me just being new to reloading. I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds on that press and those were the only 2 cases I had issues with.

I've heard the Dillon stuff is good also, worth a try.

Make your own lube, 12 oz of heet in the red bottle and a ounce of lanoline mixed in a spray bottle. I ran well over 10,000 rounds of lc 5.56 through my Dillon 650 without a single stuck case. Im still on my first mixture of lube after all that brass processing also.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Honestly, that's fair. It's actually easier to learn on a single stage, as opposed to a processor, due to keeping track of everything on a progressive. LMK if you want to test out a 550 in the future.

You let me run it a couple of years ago. It left an impression. That’s why I’ll probably get one some day. Just not sure if really makes sense in terms of time savings vs cost over what I already have. Most of my stuff other than dies and components are hand-me-downs from my wife’s uncle who got it from a buddy who bought a bunch of Lyman stuff to reload 7 magnum and never did. And my wife’s uncle never used it either. I’ve got the inspection tags from 1992 on the powder measure.

If I’d had to buy everything I probably would have gotten a cheap single stage to learn more and then a Dillon rather than a Lyman T-mag press (not that I am not enjoying it).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Honestly, that's fair. It's actually easier to learn on a single stage, as opposed to a processor, due to keeping track of everything on a progressive. LMK if you want to test out a 550 in the future.

Personally, I disagree with that. I learned with YouTube and a 550. I learned each station as though it were a single stage. I was up and running in a couple of hours.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You let me run it a couple of years ago. It left an impression. That’s why I’ll probably get one some day. Just not sure if really makes sense in terms of time savings vs cost over what I already have. Most of my stuff other than dies and components are hand-me-downs from my wife’s uncle who got it from a buddy who bought a bunch of Lyman stuff to reload 7 magnum and never did. And my wife’s uncle never used it either. I’ve got the inspection tags from 1992 on the powder measure.

If I’d had to buy everything I probably would have gotten a cheap single stage to learn more and then a Dillon rather than a Lyman T-mag press (not that I am not enjoying it).

You're welcome to try my 550 any time you want M. I still use a single stage as well. Always keep a single stage going.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Personally, I disagree with that. I learned with YouTube and a 550. I learned each station as though it were a single stage. I was up and running in a couple of hours.

Yeah, but yer like smart and stuff...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t disturb the budding bromance. The clown has issues and needs his self image to be propped up. Let him flatter you...see where it goes.

All roads lead to the shipping container. The clown and I are setting up a date in the near future. Something about delayed blowback

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Try the Dillon pump spray stuff and see if it reduces the frequency of stuck cases. One Shot works alright when I'm spraying 9mm cases so they don't stick as much in my powder funnel, but it didn't really hold up on sizing .223 for me.

I have never stuck a case with Dillon Lube (lanolin and alcohol). And that is thousands of rounds.

I have heard MANY reports of people having stuck cases with One Shot. On some forums, it is called One Stuck.

The only case I have ever had stuck was with Lyman case lube, which looked like STP.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lanolin can be hard to find now-a-days. I stuck one case a million rounds ago, then I found Frankford. It's environmentally friendly(no aerosol) and fatal if swallowed. So don't swallow...

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Once this corona mess is over, I would be happy to help some folks on my RL550B, and the Dillon swager I have. They don't get enough use. You gotta have your own powder, brass, and bullets.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Lanolin can be hard to find now-a-days. I stuck one case a million rounds ago, then I found Frankford. It's environmentally friendly(no aerosol) and fatal if swallowed. So don't swallow...

I like the spray on application of the hot shot. How are you guys applying the lanolin to the cases? With your fingers to each case?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Imperial sizing wax beats all. My bench top looks like a rainbow struck. Just try things and keep what works for you. Their is no single best company.
    BMW is German for Mercedes Wannabee. They all brag 'cause they paid too much for something that isn't.
    Get a routine going and learn to use the tools correctly and you can crank out bullets on a single stage almost as fast as a hand crank auto. Just have to do batches in stages. Oh, and there's no stopping for spilled powder, primers that didn't pickup, no bullet drop etc.
    The RCBS primer swager works swell if you set it up correctly near the end of the stroke. Then one can run batches without having to press hard or getting stuck Not sure how you can get a case stuck anyway, never came close with 5.56, 7.62, or 30-06 cases. But then, I know guys who get a case stuck in a sizing die every time they reload.
    You can get liquid lanolin on Amazon fairly cheap, by the way. However, I gave up the alcohol lanolin mix when I discovered Imperial Sizing Wax.
    Case necks: Use any old fashioned floor paste wax in the tin, even shoe polish on a Q-tip. It lubes even after it dries, doesn't contaminate powder when dried, and doesn't even need to be cleaned out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use Frankford Arsenal's case lube. I have not had a stuck case in thousands of rounds since I started using it.

Aluminum pan lined with a paper towel. Spread the brass out so mostly touching each other. Mist with the case lube while jiggling the pan back and forth.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Make your own lube, 12 oz of heet in the red bottle and a ounce of lanoline mixed in a spray bottle.

That is same thing as the Dillon lube.

Except with Dillon lube, you buy and use. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use Frankford Arsenal's case lube. I have not had a stuck case in thousands of rounds since I started using it.

Aluminum pan lined with a paper towel. Spread the brass out so mostly touching each other. Mist with the case lube while jiggling the pan back and forth.

That looks like Dillon lube, aka lanolin and alcohol.

I put mine cases in a plastic shoe box, give them a few squirts and shake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom